Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Internal Combustion Engines

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Internal Combustion Engines
Original Message   Mar 20, 2005 6:09 pm
A few of you may know that I'm a leader in 4-H for the small engines project in our club.  Here's some of the questions I'm asking the 12-18 year old this year.  There are 3 girls and 2 boys this year.  Let's see how you guys/gals stack up.

1.     T or F     An engine is a machine that converts a form of energy into mechanical force.

2.     Small engines are generally rated up to _______ HP.  A) 20     B) 25     C) 30     D) neither A, B or C

3.     Approximately ______% of the energy relaesed when fuel is oxidized in a typical small engine is converted into useful work.

4.     T or F     Heat is the resource that provides the capicity to do work.

5.     T or F     A substance can be in solid, liquid or gas state.

6.     Three methods of heat transfer are ______.     A) conduction, convection and locomotion     B) conduction, radiation and locomotion     C) conduction, convection and radiation     D) neither A, B or C

7.     Horsepower is a unit of power equal to _____.     A) 746W     B) 33,000 lb-ft/min     C) neither A or B     D) either A or B

8.     T or F     Both 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines complete 4 distinctive events during each cycle.

9.     T or F     Small engines are either air-cooled or liquid-cooled.

10.     When heat is added to water, it changes to ________.

11.     T or F     Generators and snow throwers commonly use a verticla shaft, horizontal cylinder engine.

12.     The first successful gasoline engine was developed by _______.     A) Thomas Savery     B) Eugene Lebon     C) James Watt     D) Neither A, B or C

13.     T or F     Kinetic energy is energy of motion.

14.     T or F     Small engines are either spark ignited or compression ignition based on how the fuel is ignited.

15.     When heat it added to ice, it changes to ________>

16.     T or F     The size of lawn tractor engines commonly range from 11 to 18 HP.

Let's see how you do and I'll post the answers later this week.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Replies: 27 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
wally

Re: Internal Combustion Engines
Reply #27   Jan 10, 2006 9:43 pm
To...Ms SS....

1. Congrats to you for stimulating young minds to consider areas usually not associated with the minds of youths today.   We need more intellectual challenges for youth... these challenges flow contrary to the expected modes for youth today... and ANY direction which engages the imaginations of the younger people today is one which we should definitely pursue.

2. To some of you other guys, (unless this is some inside joke to which I am not privy) - GET A LIFE!!!  I spent 32 years working with young college minds -  and I commend any approach which tries to expand understandings in ANY area which has practical application to everyday life!!!  Nitpicking is not helpful - it's harmful.  Unfortunately, the perceived harm usually outweighs the perceived help.  I, for one, applaud what appears to be a stimulating exercise in understanding!!!

*(:>)*

BBgarage

Re: Internal Combustion Engines
Reply #28   Jan 12, 2006 1:25 am
I tend to write more than just T or F, bare with me

1. Sorta true. Sorry, I think it is poorly worded. An engine converts heat energy to mechanical energy
2. Again, wording. Small engine as in 2 or 4 stroke. I am inclined to say above 20 because there are plenty of 23 horse tractors out, but then again most are in the 5-18 range
3. 33%, but you do you consider heating your car useful, because than it goes up...
4. Heat is a resource...Kinda confusing
5. False. Solid, liquid, gas and plasma
6. C
7. B
8. False, except in the case of a two stroke diesel commonly used on locomotives.
9. Most of the time they are air cooled, though it is not unheard of to have a liquid cooling system(go karts, not only the shifters)
10. warmer water? Try this: at sea level whater heated above 212 degrees...
11. False
12. Otto.. Aright, I cheated, I knew it was none of them so i googled it.
13. False, can be heat, light, etc
14. Ending is confusing but spark ignited. Yanmar makes small diesel engines for mowers. Have fun pullstarting that.
15. Less cold ice... Try this: When ice is warmed to above 32 degrees fahrenheit at sea level it turns to...(you can get ice to sublime in a vaccum)
16. commonly, but they are getting up there.

Aren't teenagers annoying?
Replies: 27 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42