Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens broke during second use - need help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Ariens broke during second use - need help
Original Message   Jan 6, 2005 8:12 pm
Have an Ariens ST 8526LE which broke the second storm it was used in.

Was wonderful to use the first time. Second storm was about 4" snow followed by rain - real heavy stuff.

Don't know if the chute was clogging from the slushy snow and it then broke, or if it broke first and then clogged as I moved forward. The impeller is stuck and there's nothing apparent holding it. The augers rotate on the shaft about 1/8", the belt is intact and engages when the handlebar lever is pressed. It smoked a bit from under the belt cover when this problem first occoured. The shaft as seen under the black plastic belt cover does not turn where it leaves the belt pulley area. I cannot rotate the augers when it's parked (and of course, off).

It's a chore+ to get this to the dealer. His only words of wisdom were to bring it in. Any help on what to look for would be appreciated.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: Ariens broke during second use - need help
Reply #1   Jan 6, 2005 8:49 pm
Hi. I have a new Ariens 11528LE and am just getting accustomed to its use. I was dealing with the same kind of stuff that you were this evening when I got home.

When you have the machine out of the snow and run it without any snowload, does the impeller turn at all? Did you or the dealer do the 15 minute run-in and adjustment for the drive belt before you started using the blower? If not, this may account for the smoking you noticed coming from under the plastic belt cover. The belt is probably slipping. There are instructions in your manual for doing this. I doubt if the shear bolts broke, but you can check by trying to turn the nuts. If they don't move easily , the shear pins are OK. In regards to moving the auger around by hand, mine doesn't either. I think that's because the auger drive is a worm gear.

Hopefully you will get some suggestions from others. This snowblower section is new and I'm not sure many people know about it yet.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #2   Jan 7, 2005 1:26 am
One quick thought! grease in auger gear case??

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #3   Jan 7, 2005 7:01 pm
newtonian gave his update at the other forum... (WTB)

Cause was a loose belt...

Fixed...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

newtonian

Re: Ariens broke during second use - fixed!
Reply #4   Jan 7, 2005 8:35 pm
Problem was my own fault. I thought I'd do the 15 minute break in belt adjustment at the first oil change - ha.

The belt was simply loose, very loose. I had to remount the idler pulley on the innermost mounting hole to create tension on the belt. I didn't check the belt tension earlier (hot engine), just saw that the idler was engaging.

Never expected it to be so far off with so little use. Even mounted on the innermost hole, when the machine is off and the handle lever is pressed, it appears not to be especially snug; there's about an inch of free play on it's long run side. Is that normal?

Thanks for the support.... and I'll get some extra belts to have on hand.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Snowmann

Reply #5   Jan 7, 2005 9:03 pm
Newtonian,

Did you try adjusting the auger cable first? The owners manual states to tighten the auger cable until it is taught, then loosen the adjustment barrel two turns and tighten the jam nut. This must be done first. If the belt tension is still loose (make sure the back side of the belt is pulled -perfectly- straight, away from the backside belt fingers), then switch the idler to the second position and readjust the cable with the same procedure. It's important that it's done in that order.

PK

This message was modified Jan 7, 2005 by Snowmann
navihawk

Reply #6   Jan 7, 2005 9:31 pm
Sounds like you smoked a belt. you should tighten the pully after a few hours break in.With the machine off,when you engage the auger,the belt might feel loose due to the tension pulley being spring loaded.Not sure about Ariens but the tensioner pully has a pin that you pull out so you can take the belt off.I would replace the belt.Read the manual.It will guide you through it.
This message was modified Jan 7, 2005 by navihawk
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #7   Jan 8, 2005 8:34 am
Great to see snowmann over here!
Welcome Paul!!

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Emmo

Reply #8   Jan 8, 2005 3:19 pm
Great to see snowmann over here!
Welcome Paul!!

Frank D.

Yes Welcome Paul, thanks for your continues input. It's very valuable!!
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42