Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Removing shaft and impeller from MDT Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
wetheridge

Removing shaft and impeller from MDT Snowblower
Original Message   Dec 17, 2005 7:19 pm
I have a MTD 10hp snowblower that is two years old.  While snowblowing I struck a small piece of wood and it bent one auger and the impeller.  Now I need to replace them.  There are two spring pins that hold the shaft into the impeller, can any one tell me how to remove them?

Wayne

Replies: 1 - 10 of 14NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vermonter

Re: Removing shaft and impeller from MDT Snowblower
Reply #1   Jan 8, 2006 9:42 am
Wow, this is odd.  I came to this site for advice on how to remove those pins because I hit a piece of wood and bent an auger!  Can anyone help Wayne and I?  There are 2 pins that connect the shaft to the impeller.  I assumed they would come off with the use of an allen wrench, but none of mine fit and it looks like the pins are just hollow and dont take an allen wrench (hard to say because its hard to see).  I am reluctant to try to remove them with vice grips because there isnt much to grab on to.  The only other alternative I guess is to open up the worm-gear assembly located in between the 2 augers, but I am hesitant to mess with that.

Any advice would be appreciated...

John

patsfan

Reply #2   Jan 8, 2006 11:00 am
Possibly a punch that's close to the same diameter could do the trick. Slightly smaller then the OD. but larger than the ID  ?  just a thought.

formerly OT
patsfan

Reply #3   Jan 8, 2006 11:01 am
If you could find a drill blank, that should do the trick.

formerly OT
vermonter

Reply #4   Jan 9, 2006 10:25 am
A punch is a good thought as long as the pin isnt threaded...I cant really tell if it is or isnt.  What do you mean by "drill blank"?

Thanks for the advice and GO PATS!

spottedpony

Reply #5   Jan 9, 2006 1:56 pm
vermonter wrote:
 it looks like the pins are just hollow and dont take an allen wrench

It sounds like its very possible they are roll pins (& are called that because they are a piece of hard steel rolled into a pin)  that are driven in and driven out with a punch. easy way to check for sure is see if a small piece of wire will slide clear through them. Roll pins are hollow.  Look closely at the ends also, it will appear the pin is split down one side. They will need to be punched out as they are very hard pins....or be prepared to go through several drill bits & even then its a risk of breaking a bit off inside the pin.
As a last resort if drilling them out is necessary,  find a bit that will just slide through the pin, then start with the next larger bit (best if you have a bit index graduated by 64ths) & just keep drilling through the pin with sequentially larger bits until your pin wall thickness is reduced enough the pin will "spring" easily thus allowing it to be driven out. the big risk here again is breaking a bit off inside the pin.
you might try heating with a torch around the pin to expand the shaft enough the pin releases easier also. or if you have access to a shop press, block up under the pin and press it out.
patsfan

Reply #6   Jan 9, 2006 3:20 pm
vermonter wrote:
A punch is a good thought as long as the pin isnt threaded...I cant really tell if it is or isnt.  What do you mean by "drill blank"?

Thanks for the advice and GO PATS!

A drill blank is just a length of steel that is a certain diameter that would correspond to a drill size.  as Spottedpony said, those are more than likely roll pins. you should be able to see a split in them.

formerly OT
wishbone

Born to Blow

Reply #7   Jan 10, 2006 11:37 am
I used a dremmel tool with a diamond cut off disk.  ran it right up the center and then popped it out with a screwdriver.  (This was on the shaft behind the impeller bearing which I had to hammer off with a pickle wrench)  Mind you, my machine is a 1978 Craftsman and  nobody had ventured into this unknown territory previously)

Good luck

Jon

DNK1

Reply #8   Jan 11, 2006 10:36 pm
They are roll pins, or splt pins as some people call them. To do this job you are better off to split the machine in half and remove the whole auger and impeller assembly as one unit. It has to come apart anyways to replace these parts. 
vermonter

Reply #9   Jan 18, 2006 8:40 am
DNK1, thanks.  After looking at the manual and the blower I realized that taking the roll pins out will not free up the shaft and I need to take the whole machine apart.  Looks like a huge, complicated job, but I have no choice to give it a go.  I cant believe MTD couldnt design a simple way to replace the augers which is probably the part that needs to be replaced most often.  For example, instead of tack welding the sides, the could have bolted them in which would allow you to split the worm gear box open wide enough to  seperate the drive shaft from the auger shaft.  Great engineering MTD
Rocky7722

Reply #10   Jan 15, 2008 8:24 am
I am disappointed to hear that removing the rolled spring pins doesn't allow the removal of the auger assembly - I have a brand new Craftsman 42" snowblower attachment on a 26 hp tractor and my wife picked up an electrical cord that ripped the shaft out of the bearing cap.  All seems to be intact except that I need to get the shaft back into the bearing cap.  I've unbolted both bearing caps and the upper brace that connects to the auger gear box and thought I only had to press out the rolled pins to remove the auger - not so????  If anyone knows for sure please respond as I am planning to try to pull these pins but won't bother if it won't do the trick.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rocky

Replies: 1 - 10 of 14NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42