Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What's the group opinion on Deere Frontier snowblowers?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

What's the group opinion on Deere Frontier snowblowers?
Original Message   Aug 2, 2005 9:20 am
I know from reading a lot of posts here that many here favor the Ariens and Toro walk behind snow blowers, and that Simplicity has a good reputation as well. Since I own older Deere tractors, I'm occassionally at my Deere dealer for parts and I have often checked out the Frontier snow blowers he has on the floor. They LOOK like they should be a decent machine, and a real plus for me is the handle bars are high enough that I don't have to bend over like I do on my brother's Honda track machine (a mighty fine machine but built for people 6" shorter than me, I'm 6'-3") I haven't used one, and didn't want to take up my dealer's time having him demonstrate one when I wasn't actually in the market, but I am curious as to why they don't get mentioned here. I know that they are built by Murray, but to Deere specs (I assume). Are they high priced junk? Good machines, but I can match the quality for less money with an Ariens? Or excellent machines that cost so much, that most folks can't afford them? I seem to remember they were pretty expensive.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Replies: 1 - 17 of 17View as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: What's the group opinion on Deere Frontier snowblowers?
Reply #1   Aug 2, 2005 11:54 am
Hello Joe,

This question comes up yearly.  From all that I have been able to determine in my research when a company such as JD or Sears for instance has a snowblower made to their "specs", the specs does not refer to the internal componants that really throw the snow, it stands for cosmetics such as paint and a add on feature or two.  Companies only make so many snowblowers a year and they ALL strive to keep them as affordable as possible.  To re-tool the line at the factory to build the units to different internal specs would add to the cost of making the machine and thus make the machine more expensive.  Could it be done?  Sure.  Should it be done?  Absolutely.  Is it done?  Based upon all have been able to find out, no.  Is this wrong?  No, as long as you know what you are buying.  I feel Murray makes a fine machine and for what the prices go for them I recommend them depending on where you live and how much snow you can get.  In the right circumstances they will make you a very happy owner and last you many years with good care.  Would I pay extra for it to have John Deere paint and emblems and a special JD name?  No way.  There in lies the marketing rub so to speak.  That is what I try to warn folks about every year.  Pay attention to WHO is making the snowblower, not the name painted on it.  That is the tale of the tape with the machine.  If you are on a strict budget there are some fine machines that will give you many trouble free years at a very affordable price depending on what name has been painted on it.  Educate yourself as to who is making the machine and then you know what you can basically expect out of it and what you should be paying for it.  If you can buy the same basic machine under the Murray name for say $800 why would or should you pay $1000, heck even $1200 just for a name or color?  I will be curious to see what the asking price is for these machines.

First establish your need, then your budget, then look at and kick the machines and shop around and do your research and find out the features you want and lastly but certainly not least if at all possible buy from a dealer.  No diss to the boxes but they do not have your best interest in mind regardless of what you see on TV lol.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
lland

Reply #2   Aug 2, 2005 8:55 pm
Joe,

They are made by Murray.  Not great, but not bad either.  Better than MTD.  As Chris said, if you can find a comparable "Murray branded" unit, you'll most likely pay a lot less (that green paint must be pretty expensive...perhaps it's made with real money to turn it green).  If the Deere branded machine is $1,000 or more and that's within your budget, you may be better off looking at an Ariens, Toro, or Simplicity (assuming you can find one that fits).  One thing the Frontier may have in it's favor is the Deere dealer who sells it.  But like all other brand dealers, there are good and bad.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
robmints

Reply #3   Aug 2, 2005 10:14 pm
lland wrote:
Joe,

They are made by Murray.  Not great, but not bad either.  Better than MTD.  As Chris said, if you can find a comparable "Murray branded" unit, you'll most likely pay a lot less (that green paint must be pretty expensive...perhaps it's made with real money to turn it green).  If the Deere branded machine is $1,000 or more and that's within your budget, you may be better off looking at an Ariens, Toro, or Simplicity (assuming you can find one that fits).  One thing the Frontier may have in it's favor is the Deere dealer who sells it.  But like all other brand dealers, there are good and bad.

LL

My Deere dealer might sell them.  But he does not stock them.  He stocks Ariens Pro and Toro.  The Murray/Deere's do have a 3 year warranty, ckearly stated and separated into an engine and chassis.

The MTD bashing officially begins Aug 2.  LL throws out the opening pitch,  just like the President.

LL I'm just joking a bit.  I do sort of like my MTD though.
ChrisS

Reply #4   Aug 2, 2005 11:48 pm
robmints wrote:

The MTD bashing officially begins Aug 2.  LL throws out the opening pitch,  just like the President.

LOL.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #5   Aug 3, 2005 6:37 am
When I was shopping at my Ariens dealer, who actually is a BIG John Deere dealer...(ariens is a side line for him), I was looking at the JD Frontiers.  The head small engine serviceperson just told me......."Frank......they ain't no Ariens"

He went on to say that he was not impressed with them.  Ariens used to make the JD snowblowers..they used to look just like green ariens. When they stopped, my dealer went against company policy and started being a ariens dealer.  When the frontiers came out, they had to put them in the front window. He said they are ok for the price.

The funny thing is that when the John Deere big wigs come down, they actually have to take the Ariens stuff out of the showroom.  Corporate policy says nothing but green will be seen.

Kinda funny.......

Frank D.

PS  edited for spelling
This message was modified Aug 3, 2005 by faithfulFrank

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
bontaiJoe

Reply #6   Aug 3, 2005 11:08 am
Thank you guys for a very informative post! I don't remember any of the 2 stage Frontiers at my dealer being under $1,000 and do remember a couple well over the $2,000 level, and it seems I can get a better machine for less money from at least a couple of other manufacturers, which answers my question. I wonder what the relationship between Deere and what's left of Murray will be in the future..... but that's a tale yet to be told I guess.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Aug 3, 2005 11:34 pm
The Frontier ST0524 is the only snowthrower that has a Tecumseh engine and that is offered with a 2 year warranty.  All the others have a Briggs engine and have a 3 year warranty. 

Aug. 2, the official start of Abby's snowthrower season?  Can we make official dates for each season, as that would be really a great idea.  Mid-Aug is really the start of snowthrower season of you are really into it.  I still want to finish out the summer, but have this itch for blowing snow.  Seem to start around now for me.   

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

lland

Reply #8   Aug 4, 2005 8:11 am
Not MTD bashing, just calling it as I see it.  I've often defended MTD as I believe they offer a product at  price points that appeal to many, many people,  Just saying you can do better...at a higher cost.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
ChrisS

Reply #9   Aug 4, 2005 11:41 am
lland wrote:
Not MTD bashing, just calling it as I see it.  I've often defended MTD as I believe they offer a product at  price points that appeal to many, many people,  Just saying you can do better...at a higher cost.

LL

For the record LL I did not take you post as a bashing post, just your opinion and I felt that Rob was just having some fun and trying to keep the topic light. 

"Just saying you can do better...at a higher cost."

While I would agree with you when we are comparing most brands this is not always the case with all the units under the Murray name.  Many times they are as competitively priced as an MTD unit if you do some careful shopping.

C

This message was modified Aug 4, 2005 by ChrisS

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #10   Aug 4, 2005 1:40 pm
If it doesn't say Honda, it sucks hind tit.  

bontaiJoe

Reply #11   Aug 4, 2005 2:05 pm
Marshall wrote:
If it doesn't say Honda, it sucks hind ***  

Marshall,

You're having those flashbacks to 6th grade again, aren't you?

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #12   Aug 4, 2005 3:16 pm
Marshall wrote:
If it doesn't say Honda, it sucks hind tit.  

ALL RIGHT BOBBY P.....RELEASE MARSHALL THIS INSTANT!!!

Pssst….Marshall…..quick, surround yourself with Tecumseh’s…you’ll be safe then……  

Marshall

Reply #13   Aug 4, 2005 4:42 pm
I've been hijacked, help! 
Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #14   Aug 4, 2005 4:54 pm
Marshall wrote:
I've been hijacked, help! 

Bragger....
Marshall

Reply #15   Aug 4, 2005 6:27 pm
Paula wrote:
Bragger....

Are you hinting to me baby?

Wait, Paula you're right, that's it.  I meant to say Tecumseh, not Honda. Yea, the Chief rules, Honda sucks hind tit.

I never could get Joe F and Bobby_P on here at the same time. Tsk tsk, could have been fun. Fix a little popcorn, kick your feet up, throw in a post just to stir the pot now and then........oh the good old days.
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #16   Aug 5, 2005 10:26 am
Marshall........come away from the dark side.......

you pot stirrer you.......  One can tell that we are in to the OPE doldrums...no rain, so slow mowing..too early to play with the snowblower.....no wonder Marshall is posting boat stuff......

Time to get some edging done, perhaps some chain saw trimming done before winter......you can think about rototilling up everything in the garden soon.......sealing the driveway before winter...........insulate, recaulk, get a good coat of wax on all cars, trucks and OPE.......
See there is still stuff to do.........

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Marshall

Reply #17   Aug 5, 2005 12:11 pm
faithfulFrank wrote:
Marshall........come away from the dark side.......

you pot stirrer you.......  One can tell that we are in to the OPE doldrums...no rain, so slow mowing..too early to play with the snowblower.....no wonder Marshall is posting boat stuff......

Time to get some edging done, perhaps some chain saw trimming done before winter......you can think about rototilling up everything in the garden soon.......sealing the driveway before winter...........insulate, recaulk, get a good coat of wax on all cars, trucks and OPE.......
See there is still stuff to do.........

Frank D.

Frank, it's my ornriness coming out. If too much time goes by without any havoc, a man has to create some. LOL 

All that normal seasonal stuff is standard issue.  Though, I have decided wax thing isn't what it use to be so I've turned that over to my son.

Buff boy, I said buff!

Replies: 1 - 17 of 17View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42