Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Briggs RPM Runaway Problem on Snow Chick

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Majorxlr8n

Briggs RPM Runaway Problem on Snow Chick
Original Message   Jul 29, 2005 1:36 am
I have a Briggs Stratton carb issue that has me stumped...

I picked up (for free) a 1960's Snow Chick (a baby brother to the Yard-Man Snow Bird) mini 2 stage snowblower with a Briggs Stratton engine model 80302 (3 hp). I cleaned out the carb & got the engine running, but the RPMS went to the Stratosphere! The governor arm moves the throttle to the full opening position when the engine is off, and arm appears to move (to lower the throttle) as the RPMs increase, but this has no effect on the engine speed - it just revs up to a catastrophic level. I have everything hooked up properly ("S" link & spring). I wonder if I set the idle & high speed needles correctly - 1 turn on the idle, 1.5 turns on the high speed? When I move the throttle down manually, I get a good low speed level but the engine speed is erratic & the exhaust smells rich. The carb is not flooding. No vacuum leaks. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Marty

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Briggs RPM Runaway Problem on Snow Chick
Reply #1   Jul 29, 2005 2:01 pm
There are some different names for snowthrowers, this being one of them.  I have not much of an idea, but maybe it could be internal? 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

jubol

Reply #2   Jul 29, 2005 2:12 pm
 Hi,

Sounds as though a spring is missing on the  Governor allowing the engine to overspeed!!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Jul 29, 2005 8:23 pm
AJ & Fred - this is sounding like a little further disassembly is in order. The Briggs website shows this engine possibly having 2 types of governors. Who knows whats inside this thing. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Thanks! - Marty

Majorxlr8n

Reply #4   Jul 30, 2005 10:40 am
SUCCESS!!! I pulled the flywheel shroud & found a large nest surrounding the ignition coil and the governor's air vane! The residents even feasted on the spark plug wire! I cleaned it all out, wrapped up the coil wire with electrical tape, reassembled everything & she idles down now. After some high & low speed needle adjustments, this little guy can purr (SMOOTHLY about 500rpm) or scream at around 4000 RPM.

Thanks all!

Marty

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Jul 31, 2005 12:39 am
You seem to have the problems, but it is usually the easiest fix for them. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42