Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A Big Bag 'o Crap

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lland

A Big Bag 'o Crap
Original Message   Jul 23, 2005 3:44 pm
If any of you have children involved in sports, you know there is no such thing as free time.  My older son is an a baseball team that's going to the state championship tournament for the 13 year-old Babe Ruth League.  Consequently, they have been practicing every night until about dark.  I get home from work, take him to practice, and get home around 9:00 when I eat dinner.

Well, one day last week, practice let out a bit early so I figured I'd have time to mow the lawn.  The grass is thick, and long due to a lot of rain we've had recently.  I get about half way through when it starts to rain.  Knowing that I may not have a chance to cut it again soon, I keep on going.  I finally finish and everything is covered with wet grass clippings...a mess but it's late so I just put the tractor away.

Well, this morning, I get it out and decide to clean out the deck.  When I get it off an turned over, it is pretty much full of heavy, wet grass clippings.  It's amazing that it cut anything at all with all that build-up.  After about a half hour of scraping and scratching, I have a bag of grass that weighs just about 12 pounds (my wife yelled at me for bringing a bag of grass upstairs to weigh it.

Anyway, while I had the deck off I changed the blades to a set of nice sharp (new actually) mulchers and head out to cut.  A little different this time.  THe grass is long and thick but nice and dry so it cuts beautifully.  Nice stripes, no build-up, no mess.

Not much of a story but I have some time to kill.

LL

By the way, has anyone seen my set of Gator Blades?  I've looked everywhere and can't find them!

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Re: A Big Bag 'o Crap
Reply #1   Jul 23, 2005 8:44 pm
Thats why all my tractors have head lights as I've cut my share of grass after dark. As to your gator blades, look over in the corner under your work gloves?

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #2   Jul 23, 2005 11:44 pm
Hi LL. I just got an extra set of blades for my Tractor today. Guess I better keep a close eye on them huh? Maybe the blade fairy took them. By the way, hows that 145 BP blower. Thanks for the reminder to clean my deck.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   Jul 24, 2005 1:32 am
I usually only sharpen my blades once a season, but now I am thinking maybe it needs done more.  I think right they could use a job. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

lland

Reply #4   Jul 24, 2005 12:11 pm
Kevin,

The 145 is great.  Comfortable and strong, starts on the first pull every time.  What surprised me most however was just how quiet it is.

LL

Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #5   Jul 24, 2005 1:07 pm
lland wrote:
Kevin,

The 145 is great.  Comfortable and strong, starts on the first pull every time.  What surprised me most however was just how quiet it is.

LL

I figured you would like it. The 125BP has a lot of push and I like the smaller weight. The engine is quiet but I think its pretty loud on WOT when blowing. That will do a nice job for you in the fall. I keep finding more uses for mine.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
lland

Reply #6   Jul 24, 2005 2:37 pm
"I keep finding more uses for mine."

Me too...like cleaning out the garage, getting the grass clippings off the mower, dusting off the outdoor furniture, or drying my son's bathing suit before he walked into the house.  I wanted to use it instead of the vacuum but my wife had a problem with my running a gas powered unit indoors.  Go figure.

LL

Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Jul 24, 2005 4:17 pm
Nice that it cut through it at all !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42