Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Using owner's tractor to cut their lawn, what a mess!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Using owner's tractor to cut their lawn, what a mess!
Original Message   Jul 19, 2005 11:42 am
I got kinda "volunteered" to cut the lawn of an elderly family friend using her machine. Her husband passed away a few years ago, and first she hired a local kid to come in and cut the lawn, and after a couple of years, she hired the neighbor, who just quit. So I'm now a part time Snapper pilot on a machine very similar to this one:

The grass bagger has 20 pounds of duct tape on it, and constantly plugs, the engine smokes unbelievably and dies if it leans the least tiny bit to the right or if a quick left turn is made, but the oil level is correct according to the dipstick. It's definitely the noisiest mower I can remember operating with most of the noise coming from the blades. After removing the bagger tube for the 3rd time in less than 10 minutes to clear out a plug, I left it off. The hydro lever wanders around on it's own and has to be constantly held. I've cut this lawn once and already regret taking the job, but I made a commitment for the summer and I'll live up to it. The bagger seems to have problems before it hits the duct tape, so I was wondering if these machines were problematic from the start? or should I blame the previous kid for abusing the heck out of this? I usually enjoy riding around on most any brand mower, but this one was an unpleasant experience.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Using owner's tractor to cut their lawn, what a mess!
Reply #1   Jul 19, 2005 12:27 pm
LOL, what a POS!

I see it has the 33" round Hi-Vac deck. When I have the bagger on mine and the Hi-Lift blade, if I take the bagger itself off and just leave on the long round tube, the force of air is so strong coming out of that tube that it would do 10 times what your best blower would do. I don't how they can ever clog, even with damp grass. Matter of fact, I have a problem with it blowing grass through the mesh of the bag because the force is strong.

Termy

Reply #2   Jul 19, 2005 1:17 pm
LOL, sorry to hear about this. That machine deffinetly needs a overhaul! Don't you have your own riding mower? My opinion to you is ask her if it would be alright to use your machine on her lawn, that way your both happy! You get to have a pleasent experiance and she gets to have a nice looking lawn.

bontaiJoe

Reply #3   Jul 19, 2005 1:39 pm
Termy,

I would have to charge her a lot more than what I am to bring in my machinery, and she is a little old lady on a fixed income. It took me 2 1/2 hours last night to finish off about 1 acre (LOTS of stuff to trim around). If I figured in loading, transporting and unloading my tractor plus wear and tear, even not counting my labor, it is more than she could pay, plus she wants it done with her mower.

Marshall,

Something you said, about the power of the high lift blades, is gonna make me look to see if these are upside down. Even with the chute off, the grass had little velocity coming out. The pics I posted were of a similar one I had found on Ebay. I think the one I was using last night was a twin blade deck. I really didn't check it out beyond fuel and oil level, as I was running out of daylight and definitely didn't want to make this a 2 night job. I'm barely covering my gas money to go down there as it is.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Jul 19, 2005 2:24 pm
I had remembered you said it was one "similar to this one" and wondered if maybe the deck was different. It's possible that the deck has so much crap caked under it that it's made it to where it has little to no air can flow. Good idea checking the blades.
robmints

Reply #5   Jul 19, 2005 2:33 pm
Bless you Joe.

I know it might be a pain in the butt. But could you take a 90 degree 4 1/2 grinder down with you and sharpen the blades, and clean the underneath of the deck? You might consider skipping the bagging, and just prop the discharge deflector up a little bit (but not enough to be unsafe) and let it side discharge.

bontaiJoe

Reply #6   Jul 19, 2005 2:59 pm
Thanks for the blessings Robmints. I certainly need all of those I can get to attone for past sins (of which there are many). I definitely need to get under the deck and see what is going on. I ran it last night with the bagger discharge removed which left a large unprotected hole near the blades exposed. No discharge deflector to be found in the garage, and the little old lady has no clue as to what's in the garage. I hope it is as simple as just cleaning the bottom of the deck.

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #7   Jul 19, 2005 3:11 pm
bontaiJoe wrote:
I ran it last night with the bagger discharge removed which left a large unprotected hole near the blades exposed. No discharge deflector to be found in the garage,
Is there some way that you can fashion a make shift deflector out of plastic (kids crazy carpet or of the same flexible material).  I don't know just grasping at straws here and thinking of some of the weird things I've seen come through here.  (Duct tape and plastic pop bottles many moons ago was about the strangest)
Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #8   Jul 19, 2005 7:34 pm
Hi B-joe...

Ewwwww... I understand what you are into... I mow an elderly couple's lawn with their 21" Lawnboy... it works fine... but takes too much time...

Now you may know why the others left this job...  You figure out what's best for your circumstances...

Best to you !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #9   Jul 19, 2005 9:44 pm
Try and convince her into a little TLC or even a new/newer mower.  Hopefully it tracks straight. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42