Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snowblower oil question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

snowblower oil question
Original Message   Jan 4, 2005 8:56 am
I Changed the oil on an old snowblower (1980/ tecumseh 5hp ) that was given to me this year. I have run the motor just to test the operation and adjust the carb. (about one hour total).

I check the oil each time before strting and yeasterday I noticed it was full ,but coal black . Is this normal ? The oil in my mower does not get dirty that fast.

I dont know the history on this motor as I got it third hand.

Should I change it again ?

thanks

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: snowblower oil question
Reply #1   Jan 4, 2005 9:11 am
Consider doing 2 or 3 oil changes in quick succession (using an inexpensive oil of the proper weight),warming up the engine well between each and draining thoroughly, and see if that gets the contaminants out.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
SnowPro

Reply #2   Jan 5, 2005 10:57 am
Consider doing 2 or 3 oil changes in quick succession (using an inexpensive oil of the proper weight),warming up the engine well between each and draining thoroughly, and see if that gets the contaminants out.

I agree with that. I would probably do the same thing in your situation. Then..................I would switch to a full synthetic oil. Given the performance difference, I wouldn't ever go back to regular oil again.

Ken

jogo

Reply #3   Jan 5, 2005 11:01 am
I gotta bump what Jonathan said.

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
Dantheman

Reply #4   Jan 5, 2005 6:57 pm
JGreen,

I'll go along with all that including adding some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the first couple of oil changes. That will thin the oils some and get in all the nooks and crannies as well as loosen any deposits.

Dan

robmints

Reply #5   Jan 5, 2005 7:48 pm
I agree. Only thing I would add is to make sure it is a detergent oil. Used to be alot of straight weight was not detergent oil.

Does the used oil smell funny. Either have chemical odor, or smell like burnt gear oil?

Did you look at the used oil real good, nothing unusual?
This message was modified Jan 5, 2005 by robmints
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #6   Jan 6, 2005 10:53 am
Definitely go with the synthetic in your blower.I started using 5w30 last winter and found the effort to pull start an ice cold engine was much less.I believe that you get better start up lubrication because the synthetic doesen't thicken in cold as much as the dino.Better lubrication at start up =less engine ware.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Goldrush

The liberty of expressions sometimes are ridiculed!

Reply #7   Jan 16, 2005 6:57 pm
I dont know but the oil in cold weather acts very strange? I got same problem here too with oil blackish well I changed the oil twice already since september I use ow30 sae for extreme cold its good oil and its start in a quarter turn but like I said oil is oil its cheap to buy so changing it often does kill the machine

jubol

Reply #8   Jan 17, 2005 7:13 am
Goldrush,

I find that when cleaning up an old engine with very dirty oil.

I do the following, drain out the old oil. Refill with "Kero' ,disconnect spark plug wire.

Pull it over about 3 times a day for a couple of days, drain and repeat.

When Kero looks clean, refill with oil, pull the engine over a few times, pull plug and put a little oil into spark plug hole, replace plug, pull over a few more times.

Attach plug wire and fire her up and let run till very warm. shut down, check oil for color. If clean, replace with SYN!! If not change oil again.

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42