Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > My Old Toro update.....

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

My Old Toro update.....
Original Message   Jul 11, 2005 9:14 pm
Hey friends,
well, my old toro front wheel drive push mower seems like it is still a keeper, but i'd like some advice as to how to Tune it up, adjust it, etc.

It is making the slightest ticking sound, and it is burning a bit of oil, but not too noticeable.  Oil is cheap.

It does seem to "miss" a little when it idles, and the area on the deck where the muffler is close to looks very black with dry soot, and it is very hard to clean off, even with engine foamy brite.
The black is not oily or anything.

It seems to start on the first or second pull, and although the front wheels are worn down to no tread, it pulls along fine. I do wish it had a bit more power, but for being 18 years old, it seems ok for my needs.

Could this "missing" be that it is running too rich?  How do I adjust that?  Do I need a ring and valve job? Is that hard or costly?  Is there anything I could or should do to keep this going, or is it not worth it?

It is still doing what I need it to do, just trim around my pool and my trees.........I like to keep it because I am used to it, and the newer ones just seem too big, too long, and they just do not feel right.

If it helps, I could post a picture....

Thanks !! Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: My Old Toro update.....
Reply #1   Jul 12, 2005 12:44 am
I know the feeling, once you get used to something.  A picture would be nice, and also a sound clip of this ticking noise. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

buttlint

Reply #2   Jul 12, 2005 8:28 am
Frank,
The cheapest and easist thing too do is decarbonize it and replace the plug. Then you can look at the cylinder and valves and see what condition they are in. (The ticking and missing may go away after decarbonizing.)
There are no adjustments on the carb that you can do. (It starts on 2 pulls....what more can you ask for?)
Rings and valves are not worth the expense and its not something that you can do on your own. They are more than likely fine and you need special tools too do it right.
The black on your deck is normal...Its just baked on carbon that accumalates from 18 years of use. (Exhaust diverter pointed toward the deck?)
Keep grease on the zerks if it has them....and the thing will probley last you another 18 years.

Dantheman

Reply #3   Jul 12, 2005 9:29 am
When I tuned my '83 Toro up, I went to a dealer and bought 4 new tires. They were rather expensive if I remember correctly, but at least I had traction for the front wheel drive again. I also had to replace a spring on the carb and bought a new blade. The machine lasted me 11 yrs after that.  The 3.5 HP was ok for bagging but would still bog down in the thick stuff. Forget about mulching with it unless you mow every other day.

I hated to spend the money on a new mower for trimming....but the 6.5 HP does'nt bog down for anything. Sometimes when I want the exercise I actually mow the whole lawn with it. Someone took the ol'Toro from the junk pile during the town pick up last year and is probably using it right now...God Bless them, they can have it. It served me well and maybe they can get a few more years out of it.

Dan

This message was modified Jul 12, 2005 by Dantheman
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #4   Jul 17, 2005 4:38 pm
Hey Guys,

well, I used the toro again today to trim around my trees...........sounds a bit loud, misses a beat every once in awhile, but seemed to run ok.  There is still a SLIGHT clacking sound........

Also, today for the first time I noticed that if you shut it off, then restart, sometimes oil will start spitting out from the oil fill tube on top.  the oil cap is not designed to be a real tight fit, and I noticed oil spitting up and out from it a bit.

how do I "decarbonize" it?   Does it involve ripping apart the engine a lot?  Should I do anything, r just use it until she dies??

On a side note, my neighbor had a honda walk behind for sale for $20.00    looked well  built, told it just needed a tune up.......but it was a rear bagger, so I passed on it.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42