Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Stihl Br 500 & 550 backpack blower recall.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
buttlint

Stihl Br 500 & 550 backpack blower recall.
Original Message   Jul 6, 2005 6:34 pm
I normally dont like too sound the alert everytime that a manufacturerer has a recall but......
Stihl BR500 and BR550 backpack blowers are having some problems.
Specifically, it appears that in some units the fan wheel is busting up and shooting pieces of shrapnel through the housing or blowing them out at a 1000 mph thru the tube.
I am not sure but I think a couple of members may have bought one of them recently.....(Mike fla?)
I dont know when the recall notice was sent out.....or what its going too contain.....but I dont think I would ignore this one. (Lots of folks do ignore them.)
The units affected are serial # 264264925 to 264740832. (Remove the spark plug terminal and look behind the spark plug for a # etched in the casting.)
If you have one of them....Take it too your friendly neighborhood Sthil dealer and they will be glad too take care of it. (Before the rush and before the fans go on back-order)
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Re: Stihl Br 500 & 550 backpack blower recall.
Reply #1   Jul 6, 2005 6:44 pm
Hey Lint, I have a Husquvarna blower but thanks for the concern.That was a Stihl hedge trimmer and power purner I purchased. I really like when stuff like this gets posted I think its a great safety concern and everyone on here should know if a unit they own has a defect!

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #2   Jul 6, 2005 7:02 pm
i have a few customers i would like to sell one of those to...

send all the replaced parts up to me will you

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   Jul 6, 2005 7:05 pm
Thanks for the alert.  I don't recall of anyone actually having one on the forum, but I may be wrong. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

buttlint

Reply #4   Jul 6, 2005 9:25 pm
Mike,
I wasnt positive if you had one or not......and I havent seen any problems with pruners and hedge trimmers. (I have a pruner and love it.)
I just wish that someone would come out with a hedge trimmer that wasnt too heavy for my wife.

Chris,
I dont think we could afford the freight too ship of all of the Stihl recalls and defective parts that I have on my "keep it 6 months" warrenty shelf.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42