Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Not everyone loves their machines like we do...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Not everyone loves their machines like we do...
Original Message   Jun 24, 2005 1:35 pm
This is a Deere 430 diesel with only 840 hours on the meter, that played tag with a tree. I saw this on another forum and the guy was asking if it is worth fixing. His description indicates the frame is bent, radiator was pushed into the fan and now leaks, front hydraulic hoses were damaged and leaking, front mower mounts are bent, and the tractor show obvious long term neglect from the crud in the radiator, dents, etc. To me it looks more like a 2000 hour machine, but I thought I'd get your opinions and relay them back to the guy. (He isn't the owner, it's his neighbor that trusts his opinion on OPE.

This message was modified Jun 24, 2005 by bontaiJoe

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Not everyone loves their machines like we do...
Reply #2   Jun 24, 2005 2:15 pm
I'm sure Marty will have good input too.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #3   Jun 24, 2005 6:06 pm
Be assured... Deere parts are expensive !   YEP !   ...they are... ...price 'em 1st... !

I bought a used Deere 330 diesel... guy says... "...of the squeal from the mower deck is a $90 fix per the Deere Dealer..."

"OK"... not bad...  

Yeah... right !  Started out at $90 !!!   $1,200 later... the "squeal" was gone !  .. the entire deck "mule" drive assembly had to be replaced...

GREAT tractor though ! ... even with the additional... unexpected $1,200 in cost  ... the 21HP diesel is SWEET ! Same engine as in the Deere 750 compact utility tractor I had at the time...

The former Mrs. Dave___in___CT now owns the 330... it still  sits in the garage for four years with flat tires...!  I even offered to buy it at fair-market-value 2 years ago... ~~$3,000 - $3,500... No deal...  Anger clouds the mind I guess ! 

Things work out !   I now have the vintage '82 Gravely with a bigger five-foot cut  for a lot less $$$ !     ...oil burnin' an all !

Life is a beautiful thing... always changing !    ...sometimes totally unexpected !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #4   Jun 24, 2005 6:15 pm
Hard to make a judgement call based on one pic, but with a bent frame I probably wouldn't consider fixing it.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Jun 24, 2005 11:00 pm
How does it feels from the operators position?  If the frame is bent too much I'd sell it up, otherwise radiators are like starters and need to be replaced once in a while. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   Jun 25, 2005 12:45 am
Marshall wrote:
I'm sure Marty will have good input too.

That tractor looks like its been through a battle or two. Just surmising here, but I bet there are many more issues that this old Deere will need besides damage from the "tree kissing". Yes, JD parts can be VERY expensive. My 2 cents? Part it out or as mentioned above, find a cheap, non running donor tractor & make one good one out of the two - then sell any leftover parts to recoup some $$$.

Marty

bontaiJoe

Reply #7   Jun 27, 2005 3:54 pm
He has come to the conclusion that it is basically a parts machine, and not worth a BIG $$$ investment, but he is gonna try to possibly "massage" the frame close to straight so it will cut grass, but most likely loose the front hydraulics, to keep the cost down.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
bontaiJoe

Reply #8   Jun 30, 2005 2:26 pm
Here is another one that needs more than a little TLC. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that my machine was in this condition.

Termy

Reply #9   Jun 30, 2005 4:13 pm
Good job with the other LT! And as far as this next one goes, a little TLC? Try alot of TLC. As you so elegantly put it, people do not take care of their own machines. They wonder why their machine dies in 1 to 5 years. With my maintanance and care, my new Toro should last at least 20 years. And my new Sithl trimmer longer than that.

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #10   Jun 30, 2005 4:17 pm
bontaiJoe wrote:
Here is another one that needs more than a little TLC. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that my machine was in this condition.

Some who cares should get out their 45 and put old "Dobbin" out of it's misery.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #11   Jun 30, 2005 4:33 pm
This last one kinda look cool.  Just something fun to ride around the property on. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42