Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2000 6.5 HP Tecumseh lawn mower will not start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dzton

2000 6.5 HP Tecumseh lawn mower will not start
Original Message   Jun 23, 2005 11:57 am
I purchased a Scotts self propelled mower from an individual who had it sitting outside.  It did not start.

I replaced the spark plug, fuel line, sanded the magneto, emptied the old fuel and replaced with new fuel.

I cleaned out the carb as well as replaced the gasket the needle and the seating.

The engine will start but then stops.  I am puzzled at this point.  Does anyone have any suggestions???

dzton

Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: 2000 6.5 HP Tecumseh lawn mower will not start
Reply #1   Jun 23, 2005 12:08 pm
How long does it run?
dzton

Reply #2   Jun 23, 2005 12:17 pm
No sooner then it starts does it stop.
Marshall

Reply #3   Jun 23, 2005 12:36 pm
Does it start up a again directly or do you have to wait a while? Does it take a lot of pulls?
dzton

Reply #4   Jun 23, 2005 12:45 pm
No it does not startup again.  It does take a lot of pulls.
buttlint

Reply #5   Jun 23, 2005 12:56 pm
Injun model numbers?
dzton

Reply #6   Jun 23, 2005 12:59 pm
engine = ovrm120 - 22033d

engine family = ytpxs - 1951aa

displacement = 195 - 0221j

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Jun 23, 2005 1:04 pm
Maybe a blocked fuel line, sounds like your not getting fuel. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Termy

Reply #8   Jun 23, 2005 1:34 pm
Lets get to the bottom of this. You need to find out weather or not your engine is getting spark. Take the sparkplug off and Put some gas in the sparkplug hole than put the sparkplug back on. Does it start and run for a second or two and stop? If it does, you have a carb problem.

dzton

Reply #9   Jun 24, 2005 2:59 pm
Would the breather element effect the starting and stopping issue?
Marshall

Reply #10   Jun 24, 2005 3:16 pm
Yes it would. Is it dirty? I assumed you made sure it was clean when doing all the carb work? I would say check your gas cap for venting but it shuts down too soon after it starts.
buttlint

Reply #11   Jun 24, 2005 4:01 pm
Breather element or air filter?
How nasty was the carb before you cleaned it?
Did you clean the bowl nut? All 3 holes?
If you look into thoat of the carb...and prime...do you see fuel coming from the tip of the main nozzle? (Use a flashlite too look in.)
Did you hook the wire clip of the needle over the float the float tang? Did you set the float level?
If you loosen the bowl nut...does fuel flow out?
When you installed the needle and seat...did you have the carb off of the engine?
dzton

Reply #12   Jun 24, 2005 5:43 pm
Breather element or air filter?             Breather element.  I already replaced the air filter.

How nasty was the carb before you cleaned it?        Nasty!
Did you clean the bowl nut? All 3 holes?    Yes.

If you look into thoat of the carb...and prime...do you see fuel coming from the tip of the main nozzle?    No, I removed the carb, broke down the carb removing the main nozzle.  I did need to add two new "O" rings.    (Use a flashlite too look in.)
Did you hook the wire clip of the needle over the float the float tang?  Yes.
Did you set the float level? No.  Not sure how I would set the float level.  It appears the needle goes into its inlet once placed on the float.

If you loosen the bowl nut...does fuel flow out?  Yes
When you installed the needle and seat...did you have the carb off of the engine? Yes.
buttlint

Reply #13   Jun 24, 2005 6:44 pm
Dont worry about the breather....they "never" good bad.
When you replaced the 2 o-rings on the main nozzle, are you sure you removed the old one. (The top one usually stays put and has too be dug out.)
Are the governor-carb linkages as they were before you removed the carb?
Again...make sure it is priming when you press the primer bulb. (You should see it coming out of the end of the main nozzle, into the throat of the carb.)

Be sure that # 241 is in place....screw #238 must be in its holes, or the carb will never prime. (The screw blocks off a common passage that it shares with the primer system.) Without the screw in place....the primer charge just blows out of the hole and doesnt reach the float bowl.
dzton

Reply #14   Jun 24, 2005 7:03 pm
When you replaced the 2 o-rings on the main nozzle, are you sure you removed the old one. (The top one usually stays put and has too be dug out.) 
When I remove the nozzle there was no o-rings there.

I pretty sure,  not 100% positive.

Again...make sure it is priming when you press the primer bulb. (You should see it coming out of the end of the main nozzle, into the throat of the carb.) 
Do I perfom this with the carb off the engine?

Be sure that # 241 is in place....screw #238 must be in its holes, or the carb will never prime. (The screw blocks off a common passage that it shares with the primer system.) Without the screw in place....the primer charge just blows out of the hole and doesnt reach the float bowl.
The two screws are in the holes.
buttlint

Reply #15   Jun 24, 2005 8:09 pm
dzton wrote:
When I remove the nozzle there was no o-rings there.
The bottom one may have rotted away....the top one is possibly still stuck in the main tube.

I pretty sure,  not 100% positive.

Do I perfom this with the carb off the engine?
Do it on the engine...just remove the air cleaner and cover too take a look. Make sure you have at least 3/4 of a tank of gas.

The two screws are in the holes.
Excellent.
Check that both surfaces that the large O-ring (part # 631028) seals are clean. (The float bowl and base of the carb.)
dzton

Reply #16   Jun 24, 2005 8:32 pm
Check that both surfaces that the large O-ring (part # 631028) seals are clean. (The float bowl and base of the carb.)

It is.  I used at least a can of carb cleaner on this thing. 

sakendrick

Reply #17   Aug 23, 2005 6:48 pm
Hi There... Did you ever get this problem solved?? If so what was it?

I'm in the exact same situation with the exact same mower.  I got it from a neighbor.  First problem was the gas tank leaked.  I replaced the tank and it turns over and starts for about 1 second then dies.  I haven't cleaned the carb and all ths stuff that you did yet.  If I have to go through that I'll probably just return the mower.  Spark plug does look wet and black.  Cleaned it once but didn't do much.  Made sure I used the original vented gas cap, even tried starting it without the cap on.  I may have really flooded the carb by priming it a lot.  I thought since the gas lines were drained I needed to get the gas flowing.

Anyways, just curious if there was a silver bullet that finally solved the problem.

Thanks

scott

spleen

Reply #18   Aug 26, 2005 3:33 pm
I too am having this same exact problem.

Mine is with my father's old lawn mower.  I'm not sure if he had replaced the fuel line with an incorrect type of line, or if it was the original one - but either way, that line was totally turned to jelly.  It was like black tar, it just pulled right apart in my hands.   Needless to say, this didn't do much for the carburetor.

I took the carb apart and pulled as much as the black sludge out as I possibly could - slapped it all back together - still nothing.  

I pulled it apart again and really gave it a good cleaning.  I used a long,  thin wire to clean out any tiny holes I could find - I pulled the primer bulb off and cleane out under that.  I cleaned out the holes in the screw that holds the bowl to the carb.

I didn't bother with new gaskets or any new parts since I didn't have any.

I put it all back together (with a new fuel line of course) - and it ran perfectly.  I cut their entire lawn with it which took a good hour at least.   When I went to do the back lawn, it started failing again.

Same thing - runs for a second then dies.

I've taken the carb off again and tried cleaning it all out again, but I'm still having trouble with it.  I believe new carbs are only about 40 dollars for these engines, so I'm thinking I may be better off just buying a whole new one and calling it a day.

I also noticed looking in the gas tank that there's all sorts of stuff floating around in the gas - it looks like some kind of stew.  I'm sure this isn't helping matters.  I'm sure some of that junk could definitely clog the carb since there isn't a filter in the line.

By the way - SHOULD there be an inline filter?   I can picture my father leaving that out if he did in fact replace the fuel line at one time.

I may try to clean out the gas tank and give it all one more shot before I buy a new carb.  

I'll do my best to get back here with an update - but there's a good chance I'll never bother - so I figured I'd throw my two cents out there now while I'm here.  Cleaning out those little holes in the carb did help at one point.  Maybe that can get somebody else on the right path. 

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #19   Aug 26, 2005 6:19 pm
If isn't a filter I'd definitely install an inline one.  Clean out that tank too while your at it. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

RickMcL

Reply #20   Oct 8, 2007 12:03 pm
hey marshall you seem knowledgeable, I am having same problem, is there actually a fuel filter underneath the flywheel.  If so how can i get the flywheel off to get the filter out and change it.
daverimmer

Reply #21   Jun 2, 2008 10:11 pm
Same thing happens to me on my scotts mower - in a fashion.

Mower ran fine and then it ran out of gas. I went to a local fly-by-night gas station for more gas - filling my jeep at the same time. 

Once i put the gas in the mower would start but then stop after a few seconds.   After reading the above posts i decided the culprit was likely the gasoline and i put a little gas dryer in the gas, loosened the nut on the float bowl to let the old fuel drain out and then retightened the nut. 

Mower ran fine from then on.

So perhaps the issue isn't as complicated as carburator rebuilds etc for some of you - it wasn't for me.

Good Luck

Dave Rimmer

DrBobDC2005

Reply #22   May 16, 2009 7:32 pm
Here's how I fixed mine.  (Actually a neighbor was throwing it away so I hauled it home to see if I could fix it.  I did!)  At the bottom of the carb bowl is a nut.  Empty the tank of as much fuel as possible and remove this nut.  I believe it was a 7/16 socket.  Don't lose the gasket.  The nut is part of a threaded bolt that feeds fuel to the carb.  There are 4 holes in this bolt  that I cleaned with a combination of WD 40, a pin, and compressed air.  2 holes at the bottom that line up with each other.  You should be able to see daylight through it.  One inside the hollow bolt that I cleaned with air and WD 40 and one other one that goes diagonal at the very tip of the bolt.  It is small but there.  Done deal!
gene456

Reply #23   Aug 4, 2010 10:45 pm
i think your problem is a small filter at the bottom of the fuel tank just clean tht out now and it will run fine
Austin_Armadillo

Reply #24   Sep 14, 2013 7:39 pm
DrBobDC2005 wrote:
Here's how I fixed mine.  (Actually a neighbor was throwing it away so I hauled it home to see if I could fix it.  I did!)  At the bottom of the carb bowl is a nut.  Empty the tank of as much fuel as possible and remove this nut.  I believe it was a 7/16 socket.  Don't lose the gasket.  The nut is part of a threaded bolt that feeds fuel to the carb.  There are 4 holes in this bolt  that I cleaned with a combination of WD 40, a pin, and compressed air.  2 holes at the bottom that line up with each other.  You should be able to see daylight through it.  One inside the hollow bolt that I cleaned with air and WD 40 and one other one that goes diagonal at the very tip of the bolt.  It is small but there.  Done deal!

This worked for me! My 13 year-old mower runs like new again. It is a 1/2" socket btw. Thanks for all the tips to get this mower running again!
mkd55

Reply #25   Sep 17, 2013 8:26 am
the small orafices are for drawing fuel up thru the pilot circuit to supply fuel to the carb. if these are plugged or partially blocked the engine may initially start but the gas will not be drawn thru the correct circuits to keep the engine running.i have a 8 hp Tecumseh engine on my 1986 ariens snowblower that I periodically have to remove the brass nut and use a bread wrapper wire to clean these small passages.
Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42