Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Oil change or not ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Oil change or not ?
Original Message   Jun 22, 2005 8:46 pm
Hi...

My '82 Gravely 2-cylinder Kohler gas engine uses some oil  ( pint? ) every 1 - 2 tanks of gas...

I add oil... it still looks clean... does the oil need to be changed out... or is adding new oil sufficient to keep it runnin' OK ? ( no oil filter )

Yeah... I know... "change it anayway... to be safe..." 

Dave...

This message was modified Jun 22, 2005 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Oil change or not ?
Reply #1   Jun 22, 2005 8:57 pm
Dave,

You don't need to change it if it's new and you loose a pint every one to two tank fulls of gas. If you've been adding oil for the entire length of a normal oil change and it's approaching normal oil change time, then go ahead and change it.

I remember a study about how adding oil to existing oil added to it's strenght and prolonged the life of the existing oil by making the ratio of old oil to new oil better. I guess in theory one could keep adding oil and just change the filter if the engine used oil regularly.
Termy

Reply #2   Jun 22, 2005 9:10 pm
Make sure you are using straight SAE 30 detergent oil. I reccomend: Penzoil, Quaker State, or Nappa oils. You need to tackle the reason why its using so much oil. Since its using a pint every 1 to 2 gas fillings, this indicateds that you might have oil burning. Considering that this mower is a 1982, your pisten rings are most likely worn out. What happens in a case like that is that when you have worn rings, the oil is let to get passed the rings and above the pisten. Therefor the oil gets ignighted which causes that blue smoke you might be seing or at least smelling. My Murray RER was doing the same thing until it finnaly worn out. Your engine could use new rings and valve job. Make sure the cylinder is honed before you have new rings installed. Marshall, I really would not reccomend that as it is not proffesional and not all LT's have oil filters. I reccomend changing your oil every year, there is no reason not to change it considering oil is not that expensive.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   Jun 22, 2005 9:26 pm
I use am currently running Valvoline SAE 30 in mine, but Termy told me to go look @ Pennzoil and Napa's oils.  I looked at the price also and Penzoil is higher in price so that must mean something.    I think I will switch oil brands.  If synthetic were commonly needed for OPE applications, I'd think the auto parts store, the local lawn & garden/service shop, or Walmart would carry it in SAE 30.  What do you guys think the best regular oil is?    

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Jun 22, 2005 9:29 pm
Dino oil? I like Valvoline! Never been a Pennzoil fan at all. No offense Terms.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Jun 22, 2005 11:50 pm
I understand Valvoline has more additives than Pennzoil.  I believe he recommended Pennzoil or Napa for older engines, Valvoline for the newer ones. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #6   Jun 23, 2005 7:28 pm
Thanks folks...

Termy... the twin cylinder engine was rebuilt about 500-600 hours ago... previous ownder did it... no smoke now... no oil smell...

I agree... it's likely time to do the pistons again... maybe more... This would be a tough $$$ decision on my part since I would have to pay to have it done... ...it's an old machine... the mower deck has seen better days... (still good though!) You got me thinkin'... I should get a price on an engine overhaul BEFORE it breaks...

I've already checked into a new engine... saw the same tractor 4-sale with blown engine... new stock engine not available... as 1-piece anyway... dosen't meet EPA regs... parts are available though... and an equivalent new engine is ~~$1,500 in the crate... + labor... and would have to be retrofitted... more $$$... 

I'm on year two usin' this 1982 tractor... glad it lasted this long ! ...especially mowin'  ~~3 acres of 2-3 foot grass a few times ! ...about got my $$$ worth out of it already...

Yeah Termy... I'll get an engine re-build price... Thank you for your advice !  

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #7   Jun 23, 2005 9:26 pm
Hi Guys!

Wouldn't the burning of that much oil foul the plug? It should at least show a whole lot of oil residue as well as the mower laying down a smoke screen thick enough to protect a convoy from Submarines. Are you sure you don't have a seal leak on the crank, or a pan gasket or drain plug leak? That's a lot of oil to be burning with no sign!!

Marc   

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
spottedpony

Reply #8   Jun 23, 2005 11:11 pm
Dave___in___CT wrote:
Hi...

My '82 Gravely 2-cylinder Kohler gas engine uses some oil  ( pint? ) every 1 - 2 tanks of gas...

I add oil... it still looks clean... does the oil need to be changed out... or is adding new oil sufficient to keep it runnin' OK ? ( no oil filter )

Yeah... I know... "change it anayway... to be safe..." 

Dave...

one thing to bear in mind, regardless of how clean the oil is, if you dont drain it periodicly, you dont ever drain any sludge that may have accumulated in the crank case. As for oil, when in doubt follow manufacturers reccomendations, NOT necessarily a given brand or weight.  Personally i dont care for penz. it used to be, if not still is pariffin based, and in the winter would partially plug oil filters. Ive used Rotella T 10/40 in everything for a lot of years, both gas and diesel and including the mowers & its always given good service. main thing though is what ever oil you run, do change it to at least keep the crankcase cleaned out.
Termy

Reply #9   Jun 24, 2005 11:34 am
He probably has to clean his sparkplug all the time.

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #10   Jun 24, 2005 5:45 pm
Thanks for you input !

No fouled sparkplugs... it runs "sweet"... no sign of leaks where the tractor sits... no smoke or oil ordor... seems to use a pint or 1/2 per 10 gallons of gas (2 tanks) and 5 or so hours of use... Hey... maybe it's a 2-stroke !

Will change the oil...

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42