Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for a good electric chain saw

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Looking for a good electric chain saw
Original Message   Jun 14, 2005 3:07 pm
I haven't done much looking but I don't have much need for one other than once in a while to cut average size chunks of wood.  I see that Milwaukee has a 16".  I figure I need a 16-18".  I'm just looking right now and don't really have need to buy yet. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

Re: Looking for a good electric chain saw
Reply #9   Jun 16, 2005 6:23 pm
I like Orange so it's either Husqvarna or the Stihl.  I haven't priced them yet.  Also money isn't planned for this purchase yet.  The old one is a 10" McCulloch.  

Emmo

Reply #10   Jun 16, 2005 6:31 pm
AJace wrote:
I like Orange so it's either Husqvarna or the Stihl.  I haven't priced them yet.  Also money isn't planned for this purchase yet.  The old one is a 10" McCulloch.  

The Husky runs close to $200.
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #11   Jun 16, 2005 6:44 pm
Ajace---I have had a Remington for a couple of years.,  but I will say as others posted---it is very delicate,  won,t take any rough handling.  Even the blade adjustment ---it is very poorly and lightly built. Chain can kick back and it will bend the adjusting screw, etc.   I still use mine but  when I adjust the chain  after sharpening,  I mix new J B Weld and leave it overnight in the bar grove so it cannot kick back.  Cuts good and is very light.   When my health recovers and the doctors will  let me get back to working I am going to buy me a Stihl.   Everyone speaks so well of lthem and there is a good dealer close by.     Take care and may whichever one you choose give you some good service--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
AJace

Reply #12   Jun 16, 2005 7:07 pm
Thanks for the price and the advice.    I would probably god Husqvarna for the price.  It just seems that if gas equipment has sat especially chain saws they just don't want to start?  Since the gas stabilizer has been out I guess that has changed.  I might buy a gas one, but then I could help out the electric market and not have the hassle of worrying if it will start.    I am just curious if people have had probelms with them starting on them? 

nibbler

Reply #13   Jun 16, 2005 7:34 pm
I've used gas, elecric and hydraulic and I lean towards gas since the cord never gets in the way and you don't need to be close to an outlet.

Electric is light and relatively quiet. You are limited by the electric circuit. I forget the exact mumber but the maximum you can draw fro a 115V 15A circuit is about 1.5 HP. It doesn't matter what the "peak" power is, thats just a way for the sales types to lie to you. Pulling the cable around is a pain.

Hydraulic is somewhere between gas and electric as far as convenience, you have two hoses going back to the gas or diesel engine/pump but the actual cutting unit is small and light for the power it has. If the hose is reasonalbly long then the saw itself is quiet and the noise maker is somewhere else.

I don't know what you mean by "average" wood, everyone has different trees. Do you really need 18"? A blade will cut up to 2 1/2 times its length so if most of your wood is 12", a smaller 12" balade will be more suited to your usage pattern. A bigger blade requires more power just to make it move so for the same sized engine you get more cutting power  with a shorter bar. On the other hand if you really need an 18" blade then electric will be woefully underpowered.
robmints

Reply #14   Jun 16, 2005 7:35 pm
Ajace,
I have a Remington, about $80, and a Stihl 017, about $160. I know people say the 017 is just a Walmart saw, but I like it. Kind of easy to start, very light, cuts well, and I can get support at the dealer. I have not used the Remington in the six years I have owned the 017. My 017 does not have the quick adjust bar, and the engines might be different now, but I like mine. Maybe Echo or Shindiawa makes something like it that people like better.
AJace

Reply #15   Jun 16, 2005 9:02 pm
I understand Stihl's are just about the best.  I believe some woods are harder to cut through, such as oak.  I really don't need an 18", a 16" would probably be plenty.  I would like sharpening of the chain to be easy.  I am interested in the Echo Pro attachment series, so I can add attachments as I need them.  I am wondering what kind of work I can do with the chain saw accessory Echo and Stihl makes.  You all have me thinking I want gas, but don't want to go over $200.  

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #16   Jun 17, 2005 4:28 am
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
The United States and the Canadian product sheet for the electric Husqvarna. 

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node1569.asp?id=19617&print=true

http://www.buccaneer.husqvarna.ca/node1569.asp?id=10272&print=true

They shouldn't be different but you never know.

Sherri

LMFAO in the Husq add, at the lumberjack guy in the midst of 18" wide + timbers, hoistin' the Husq electric!!!!!  
Termy

Reply #17   Jun 20, 2005 1:34 pm
Sorry I have been gone so long. I realise that B&D is not your color but they made electric lawn and garden equipment. Mabie they will have something for you. If not, I would go with the Stihl.

AJace

Reply #18   Jun 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Black and Decker is my color, I like orange.  They make pole prunners, but I don't see chain saws listed.  I think since they do so well with their other equipment, they might have a nice chain saw pop out of the factory. 

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42