Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Proper Way to Troubleshoot

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Doodlefork

Proper Way to Troubleshoot
Original Message   Jun 8, 2005 1:52 pm
What's the best way to learn how to troubleshoot an engine and not be just a parts changer? I hate to change one part and it be something totally different.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Re: Proper Way to Troubleshoot
Reply #1   Jun 8, 2005 2:32 pm
I sometimes will tell people to use http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=66530.  It will give you some general ideas on what to look for even if you don't have a Briggs engine you can still use this as a guide.  With the 4-H kids I have them make up flow charts, but that sometimes gets elaborate.  Ignition, fuel, compression is the general way to start out and then seeing if they are in proper time with each other.  That's the way Snowshoveler here starts with an engine.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
buttlint

Reply #2   Jun 8, 2005 9:56 pm
Doodlefork wrote:
What's the best way to learn how to troubleshoot an engine and not be just a parts changer? I hate to change one part and it be something totally different.

Simply send a check or money order for $199.95 too: Buttlint, in care of Abbeys Forums Inc.
For this small sum, you will recieve:
  • One handsome Troubleshooting Masters Certificate framed in black plastic.
  • Your choice of product logo cap. (Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh, Honda or the always poplular John Deere green and gold.
  • A ball point pen from an outstate Red Roof Inn.
Hurry!!!!.....this offer is limited too the first 1000 applicants!
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   Jun 8, 2005 10:28 pm
I sending in a check for three. Or is it limited to one per customer? Oh yea, overnight delivery please, I have a date I need to impress Friday night and I can't afford not to be armed.
buttlint

Reply #4   Jun 9, 2005 6:44 pm

Doodlefork...Welcome too the forum.
What you are doing right now is a great help in learning too troubleshoot. The internet forums are loaded with questions and answers.
The more you lurk, ask questions and give answers...the more you will find out about what happens in the real world of OPE.
You will find that certain questions like:" I hit a water pipe in the yard...My mower wont start....and it jerks the rope out of my hand. What do I do?"
After seeing that question appear about 8000 times....it will become obvious too you that the flywheel key is the place too start. (Actually, checking the crank is the first place too start.)
And never be afraid too ask questions here, or anyplace else...there are a lot of folks that know the answers....and are always glad too help.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42