Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How to seal NPT threads in plastic gas tank

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

How to seal NPT threads in plastic gas tank
Original Message   Jun 8, 2005 1:14 pm
I have an old Pincor generator that has a plastic gas tank.  I suspect it is made out of high density polyethylen (HDPE).  I need to seal the 1/8 NPT fuel shutoff into the tank.  The original shutoff valve had some type of glue sealing (and holding its orientation) in place.  I had to remove the old shutoff because it was rusted solid. 

I tried using a hardening teflon-based sealer (recommended by Permatex), but this doesn't hold the fitting still enough (when you open the shutoff, the fitting moves, then the cured sealer doesn't seal anymore).  Permatex doesn't recommend a sealer that stays soft (like their PST goo) or a teflon-based tape. 

Anyone have any success stories using JB Weld or something else available at an auto parts or hardware store? 

Whatever they used at Pincor back then really stuck to the plastic tank.  Unfortunately, Pincor has been out of business for years.  The local OPE guy says use teflon tape, but that won't do the job. 

My main concern is that the fitting can't rotate after curing.     Also, there isn't any way to mechanically secure the fuel line in place. 

Any help would be great.

Ralph S

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
robmints

Re: How to seal NPT threads in plastic gas tank
Reply #1   Jun 8, 2005 1:38 pm
I use 3m Marine adhesive sealant on lots of stuff. I like the 5200 fast cure. Not positive about the gasoline though. You will need to check. Both parts are NPT, correct? One is not NPS is it?
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #2   Jun 8, 2005 8:01 pm
Seems like the plastic tank itself may not offer enough resistance... hold the shutoff with pliers / wrench when you open / close it...

Or... move the shutoff away fron the tank into the middle of the fuel hose line...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #3   Jun 9, 2005 7:03 am
I'm pretty sure both threads are NPT, as the original shutoff that came out was NPT.  Actually, I don't know what NPS is. 

I could put the shutoff in the line, but I'm still faced with the problem of securing a fitting into the tank. 

I am waiting for a reply from JB Weld.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Ralph

Garandman

Reply #4   Jun 9, 2005 7:18 am
There are different grades of 5200. But the "permanent"  is supposed to hold up to gas and oil. it's a polyurethane that cures with moisture .  Whether it sticks to the gas tank is another question, but it's mighty gooey. Get some alcohol to clean it off wet : grind it off after curing.

The tube will usully cure solid after a couple days after opeing. You might prolong it by putting it in the freezer.

Have you tried an epoxy like JB Weld?
This message was modified Jun 9, 2005 by Garandman
robmints

Reply #5   Jun 9, 2005 10:43 am
NPT is tapered

NPS is straight

They might look the same, but they are not.

Maybe put the a fitting with the corecct size thread in the tank that has a hose barb on the other end.  Put a hose and clamp on the barb and route the hose where you can mount the shut off on a small bracket. Then run another piece of hose to the carb.

Or mont the shut off on the carb and just run the hose to the tank.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42