Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Some Insight On two Toro Mowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Torch

Some Insight On two Toro Mowers
Original Message   Jun 6, 2005 2:17 pm
I'm going to make a purchase of a Toro lawn mower ( I have a preference for that brand).  Either the Recycler 20008, 6.5 HP, 4 cycle, Tecumseh GTS engine or the 20053 SR4 Super Recycler with 6.5 HP, B & S side valve engine.  I'm still a "push mower" guy and these are my two options.  The price difference about $50.00.  Termy posted a good review of the 20055, so I'm kind of leaning towards the 20053.  I would appreciate any insight you intelligent people have concerning the difference in the engine.  Thanks a ton for your help.

Torch 

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Some Insight On two Toro Mowers
Reply #1   Jun 6, 2005 5:33 pm
For the small difference in price, get the Super Recycler.

5 year GTS warranty verse 2 year GTS warranty.

Briggs verse Tecumseh.

Better cutting deck.

Aluminum cutting deck.

Emmo

Reply #2   Jun 6, 2005 5:40 pm
I'll second that......My Alum deck Toro just had its 19th B'day.
buttlint

Reply #3   Jun 6, 2005 6:30 pm
The cast deck is the way too go.
I am not sure that the 20008 is even offered this year......(Doesnt show it at Toros site.) The one you are looking at may be a leftover 2004 model.
Despite what Bobby says.....The Tecumseh vs Briggs thing is a wash.
Torch

Reply #4   Jun 7, 2005 12:08 am
Marshall, Emmo, Buttlint, your response time is that of a well trained fire department.  Thanks for replying.  I'm sure you guys get enough posts like this and I can't help but wonder if you get tired of it, so it is appreciated.  Marshall, excellent point about the warranty and yeah, I agree the cost difference is small.  Plus, there's a $25.00 rebate available for a future purchase of a Toro product when you sign up for a certain program tey have.  And I'll be purchasing a snowthrower in the near future and perhaps a Toro.  I'm sure I'll use it no matter what.  Emmo, that's exactly the kind of endorsement I wanted to hear.  19 years is one heckuva long time and a HUGE reason why I buy damn near anything.  Lord Lint, you are correct.  The 20008 is a 2004 that is still available.  It is not on their site or in their 2005 brochure.  I notice in a lot of your posts that you seem to maintain a lot of these machines.  I was curious as to what you thought about doing maintenance on Toro equipment?  I have a preference for Toro because that is what my dad owned and the machines just seemed to be very durable (as per Emmo).   You know, I tried to buy from a local OPE dealer, but not only did the guy tell me the 20008 was a 2005 model, he said they didn't make a "push mower" in the SR4 Super Recycler line.  Even though I saw it on the website and as I was leaving the store, I grabbed a brochure that listed the 20053 as plain as day.  Somewhat of a disappointing experience.  Perhaps he was trying to move the 20008's they had left.  That's no way to operate.  Hey, thanks again for your help guys.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase the 20053.  I better do something soon.  I just finished building this home in December and the weeds are starting to run amok.  Probably be looking into a trimmer now too. 
Termy

Reply #5   Jun 7, 2005 3:50 am
I am sorry Torch for the late reply but Marshall pretty much said it for me. If you read my review about my Toro 20055 SR4 Super Recycler, then you know the quality of these units. The recycler's have Tecumseh engines and the mowers are not built as well as the SR4 series. For example, emagine yourself cutting tall grass one of these days putting a heavy load on that Tecumseh engine when one day it failes! VS a SR4 with a B&S engine that will last a long time with normal TLC. There is not a whole lot of maintanance that is needed on a SR4. Basically, change the oil after the first 5 hours of use then yearly there after. Keep the air filter clean, and replace the sparkplug once a year or two. Grease the Zerks and keep the mower clean, thats all there is to it! I also agree with Marshall about the price difference.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   Jun 7, 2005 7:39 pm
Taking care of a Toro push is better than taking care of a Toro rider.   

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Torch

Reply #7   Jun 7, 2005 11:50 pm
Termy you response came in fine time.  I did read your review and liked what you had to say.  That got me leaning towards the 53.  Maintaining it sounds routine, so no problem there.  I'll probably pull the trigger on the purchase friday or saturday.  AJace, that's good to know.  I have seen people in this neighborhood with riding mowers, but I don't think it's necessary for my lot size.  Plus, I do like the exercise.  If I recall, some of you posted pictures of your homes before, and you have need of a riding mower.  I don't mind keeping the place looking real nice, but I've got other things I'd like to do, so I wouldn't want it to be a 12 hour project mowing my lawn.  Although I wouldn't mind having a riding mower/tractor to till and grade the yard.  They didn't do such a good job when they did the grade, even if it was only a subgrade. 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #8   Jun 8, 2005 5:27 pm
I find that I like to mow to also perfection, and have to back up quite a bit with my tractor.  I am starting to think of Zero Turn or one like Brian has. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42