Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > This Could Only Happen To Me

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

This Could Only Happen To Me
Original Message   Jun 5, 2005 10:48 am
Hi Guys!

Haven't posted this until now because I wanted to know the "ending" first.

About 6 weeks ago on the second cut of the season my Kawasaki powered Toro 22177 Proline that I bought last year seized. This mower had  fewer than 50 hours and the oil had been changed at the required intervals including the first one. The filter was also changed with OEM Kawasaki filters and the crankcase was filled when it locked up. It did not throw the rod but could not be moved with the starter rope at all. Needless to say I was furious. I bought the thing over the net because I wanted the BBC  with the oil filter and Toro would not ship that model to a NY dealer early last season. The Proline is only guaranteed by Toro for 1 year even if you aren't using it for commercial applications. I thought I'm $hit out of luck!! Then I read the warranty and discovered that Kawasaki covers the engine for 2 years.

After relaxing a little bit I began to review the circumstances regarding the operation of the mower. Twice I cleaned the deck by tipping it forward and wondered if I had in someway damaged the engine. I called Kawasaki tech support and asked them about this issue. They said in no way would that have caused a seizure. The only problem associated with that would be oil running into the breather compartment in the air box and causing a smoky condition the next time the engine ran. Then they delivered the news-Seems as if a number of the Kawasaki FJ180-AS09 powerd mowers have been seizing their upper connecting rod bearings due to insufficient lubrication caused by a design flaw. If I would take it to a local Kawasaki dealer they would tear it down and if that was the problem they would replace the engine. In addition the tech told me that the head gaskets on the AS09 were also a problem!

I was speechless! I researched this purchase and was sure I was buying the "best"  engine available. Regaining my composure I asked if the replacement would be another FJ180AS09. No I was assured, the AS09 has been redesigned and replaced by a new unit designated FJ180BS09. Great!! At least they have addressed the problem. Tuesday I get a call from the local warranty center that my mower is ready with the new engine installed. I drive over and the first thing I look at is the specification tag on the engine.  FJ180CS09. I called Kawasaki when I got home and inquired as to the reason for the CS09 . Seems as if there were some issues with the BS09 that required some additional design changes. I sure hope they finally got it right!

In addition I found out why we sometimes have difficulty getting warranty work done at our local dealers. The total payment for the work done by the dealer for my unit was 10% of the price of the new engine. Even if the engine was $750.00 (which it is not) the shop would only be paid $75.00. This is supposed to cover the teardown inspection, communication with Kawasaki , installation of the new engine and boxing up the blown engine and shipping it back to Kawasaki. This information was given me over the phone by Kawasaki not over the counter at the dealer. I am ammazed that the dealer would do that ammount of work for $75!

During the 6 weeks without my mower I called my 31 year old Snapper back into service. It has a replacement engine I put in about 15 years ago . It is very tired and smokes a bit but didn't let me down. I am going to do a complete deck  and drive train restoration. I have already bought a new engine and bolted it in for a trial run. Tecumseh 2 stroke TVXL840 . I'll post before and after pictures when it's done.

Marc 

This message was modified Jun 5, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: This Could Only Happen To Me
Reply #5   Jun 5, 2005 9:11 pm
Hi Guys!

Used the new Kawi today for the first time. Ran very well. I don't trust it. I feel it's been unfaithful to me. Me and my Toro need OPE counceling!

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   Jun 5, 2005 9:20 pm
mml4 wrote:
Hi Guys!

Used the new Kawi today for the first time. Ran very well. I don't trust it. I feel it's been unfaithful to me. Me and my Toro need OPE counceling!

Marc

It'll build it's trust back in no time, you're an understanding and accepting man.
Termy

Reply #7   Jun 5, 2005 9:21 pm
mml4 wrote:

Me and my Toro need OPE counceling!

Marc

hahahahaha... LMAO

robmints

Reply #8   Jun 5, 2005 9:51 pm
Dr. robmints recommends a healthy dose of exposure therapy. The more you use it, the more confident you will become.
You can go arond thinking it will break, or go around thinking it won't. One thought process causes angst, the other will bring confidence, and pride. It is up to you to choose, but I highly recommend the former.

How do you feel about that?
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #9   Jun 5, 2005 10:52 pm
This sounds like something I'd have to go through when I buy stuff.  That made for some interesting reading. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #10   Jun 6, 2005 10:14 am
Glad to hear it has a happy ending! It's never pleasant to have a fairly new piece of equipment crap out, but it is nice to hear that the dealer and Kawasaki made good in the engine. I've never been a big fan of Kawasaki engines (just my personal opinion), but your story actually raised them up a notch in my eyes, by showning me they stand behind their product. Thanks for posting your experience.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42