Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A little unnecessary research

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

A little unnecessary research
Original Message   Jun 5, 2005 11:42 am
I was looking at the Sears ad that came in the paper today, wondering how much it would cost to replace the 5 year old lawn tractor (AYP) I now have with as similar a machine as possible. The answer was Craftsman LT1000 model #27435: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07127435000 which although it shows online as being $949 is listed in the paper as $899. My purchase 5 years ago from a now defunct "farm" store was $1000. The only significant differences I noted in the specs are that the Briggs engine in the Sears tractor is a 16 hp OHV vs 14.5 vertical opposed in mine, but is a single cylinder whereas mine is a twin and that the engine the 16 hp air-cooled engine has a cooling fan and mine does not. I am nowhere near ready to part with my machine yet, but I find myself reading all the ads, and hopefully learning something. I also wonder why the price for this very basic machine hasn't changed very much during this period. It seems to me that they are trying to maintain a "price point". I suppose it's probably an okay machine for the price but I certainly wouldn't WANT to buy this machine again because after being educated here, I'd definitely want something nicer if I could afford it.

I was also amused to see that a tractor-mounted snowsblower for this machine costs $1149...go figure. Would rather have a Toro or an Ariens.

AZ

This message was modified Jun 5, 2005 by AZinOH

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: A little unnecessary research
Reply #1   Jun 5, 2005 12:34 pm
Like you, I think they want to offer a $1000.00 and less tractor, regardless.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #2   Jun 5, 2005 6:53 pm
Price is King for many products...

,,,not quality... longevity... or value...

List the two-four major component specifications... and it's golden... if the price is low enough...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Termy

Reply #3   Jun 5, 2005 9:28 pm
In my opinion, a lawn tractor that is brand new and costs around  800 to 1000 is a very cheap unit that will break in a year or so with something to fix If you want something real, your going to have to fork over 1,500 to 2,400. Then of course if you want something better your going to spend, 4,000 to 10,000

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #4   Jun 5, 2005 10:56 pm
I know I'd rather have a walk-behind snowthrower than a tractor mounted one.  It's another engine and and piece of OPE to put money into but I don't have to convert at the end of the season.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42