Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > BCS 720

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
robmints

BCS 720
Original Message   Jun 5, 2005 8:37 am
Found a 2000, with a chipper and tiller. $1500. Any thoughts, info?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: BCS 720
Reply #4   Jun 5, 2005 7:07 pm
Looks like new Rob !

Think I see the "instant reverse" control... nice feature (although never tried it )..  

If you have a need... use... want... grab it quick !... It's a life-time-use machine...

Dave....

This message was modified Jun 5, 2005 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

robmints

Reply #5   Jun 5, 2005 7:23 pm
Thanks Dave I'll look at it tomorrow on the way home and let you know. Thanks. It's at a local dealer. He says 1599. But I hope to do a little better.
Termy

Reply #6   Jun 5, 2005 9:23 pm
1599 Thats a little expensive isn't

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #7   Jun 6, 2005 10:18 am
Unless it's a rental unit with a zillion hours and the resulting customer neglect rental units tend to get, I'd say it was a very good deal.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
robmints

Reply #8   Jun 7, 2005 9:25 am
It looked OK. It is a complicated out of state consignment. I don't really need the tiller. So i might offer what the chipper alone is worth. Can't hurt to try. I don't have the OK from the power that is yet either. So I'll let you know how it goes.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #9   Jun 7, 2005 9:02 pm
Robmints...

If you only want a chipper/shredder... consider other brands too... BCS makes a self-engine-powered one... (~~same as w/ this machine)...

But... transporting the chipper with the tractor is a LOT easier than pulling by hand...

What do you want to do with the machine ? Cheiiper/shredder? How far to move it? Terrain? ...you get it... tell us more...

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

robmints

Reply #10   Jun 7, 2005 10:02 pm
I want to chip stuff that is too small to burn. I have kind of a woods trail or two that I would like to keep open. The brush blade on the trimmer works well, but I miss my Gravely. The snowblower I have is OK, but not great. Those little slush paddles Clarence makes for the impeller are OK, but not great. Here in Maryland we get a lot of slushy wet snows. I feel a single stage would work better than a two stage. The Snow Commander Is not powered, and I have a driveway on a hill. I will do next to no tilling. So I would like a 20 or 26 inch brush mower, chipper, and 24 or 28 inch snow blower.

I have several acres that I would like to act like I am attempting to maintain it. Hills, woods, lawn, trees, fence, the regular stuff.

I miss my Gravely. I sold it because it was not an L8, and went too fast for many things that I did with it. The gear reduction wheels were an option, but I decided not to.

Dave, I have read your opinion here and on other sites. I take your word  for it. Your opinion is the only reason I am considering a BCS. I need to get Sweety smoked up and pop the question though. Since she doesn't smoke or drink there seems to be a small challenge I need to over come.

If it had any combination of two: snow blower, chipper, brush mower, there would be no question.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #11   Jun 8, 2005 7:48 pm
Hi Robmints...

A 1-stage snowblower attachment and brushcutter attachment are available for the BCS tractor... I have the 1-stage blower... it's an excellent snowremover... better than any 2-stage (up to 8hp) I've used.. but the BCS dosen't handle agillaly like a dedicated snowblower... my biggest issue is shifting into reverse... looks like the one you're lookin' at has an instant reverse control...  and... gotta' muscle it to turn sharp... ugggghhhh... great for straighter runs... the bigger BCS's have "power" (brake?) steering... EZ... I understand...

I've tried the brush cutter on a used BCS I looked at last year... works very well...

The rotiller can be used for more than just garden tilling... good for loosing soil where you want a trench... also scarifying the lawn for re-seeding...

And having the tractor move the chipper is a live saver... although it's smallish wheels aren't great on uneven ground... sometimes easier to move it in reverse... but it's so great having the tractor push/pull it instead of me !  Hand moving the Troy Bilt chipper/shredder up inclines was a LOTTA' work ! ...they may (do) have a tow hitch available for some Troy models to be pulled by a lawn/garden tractor...

The attachments for the BCS are also well bilt... and cost less than a consumer-grade dedicated machine... check 'em out...

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

robmints

Reply #12   Jun 8, 2005 9:26 pm
Dave, I remember you saying they were not real easy to turn around and that it took some space because they got a little long with the snowblower on. But I have this belly that helps me when I need to push something.

The dealer told me about a freewheel kit? It was $180.  Because I asked based on your reports.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #13   Jun 10, 2005 5:03 pm
Hi...

My BCS has the freewheel kit installed (came w/ it)... either or both wheels can be locked / unlocked to freewheel (ie no power to it) makes turning a LOT easier... but I find I still usually keep both wheels locked when snowblowing and rototilling...

Snowblowing w/ 1 wheel locked tends to make the machine track to one side when under heavier loads... making me hold it to go straight...

Rototilling... not enough traction in deep loose soil w/ 1 wheel unlocked...

Moving the chipper around my flat yard... keep one wheel unlocked for EZ turning...

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42