Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Hydrastatic transmission won,t go in reverse

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Hydrastatic transmission won,t go in reverse
Original Message   Jun 2, 2005 4:34 pm
Folks I am in need of help in the form of information---I have a Stanley(Murray) Model 525607x692B ---52 inch rider.   While mowing today it hung in the forward drive.  Cut  two acres of grass just going forward.  Can,t see anything wrong with the linkage but my foot operated lever will not go to neutral or reverse. Called Engine Southwest, the parts source in this area and they tell me the hydrastat comes in  2 pieces---the differential  ($215.00)  and the Pump-($310.00) It could hardly be the pump for it runs too well in forward.  I suspect it to be the differential  My question---can anyone tell me if I could install my present pump on the new differential or does it take special know how? Would appreciate any help----Your friend--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: Hydrastatic transmission won,t go in reverse
Reply #5   Jun 3, 2005 12:24 am
Will - it sounds like the linkage could be jammed up, but on some hydro units there are opposing springs to return the foot pedal to neutral - maybe one popped off or broke? When you say the pedal returns to neutral when using the clutch, I possibly suspect that a spring has "sprung". If so, this might be a very simple repair. Even though you have the electric hoist, definitely place something under the tractor to hold it up "just in case", like a pair of cinder blocks. And definitely take it easy - we want ya around!! Good luck & let us know how you make out...

A note to ALL - Always have a backup method of supporting ANY vehicle, whether it be a small lawn tractor or a truck!

Marty

pecanmanwill

Reply #6   Jun 3, 2005 6:56 am
Marty---Thanks  for the info on the linkage.   I do suspect it has to do with that.  Also, thanks for the concern---I do get reckless at times and I will use a extra safety device.---Will

pecanmanwill

Reply #7   Jun 6, 2005 10:55 am
FOLKS---Just wanted to tell you I got my hydrastat fixed this morning with the help of my wife to do the heavy work. .  I hoisted the rear end of the mower, removed the rear wheels so I could see the unit well.  Could not believe what I found---the arm that the rod from my foot pedal connects to was the problem.  The bolt that secures it to the shaft that goes into the transmission was about to fall off.  The  1/4 inch bolt had loosened enough that it had jumped the tract that keeps it in between the return spring.  One of you told me to look for such so I wanted to tell all I appreciate and it took my wife and I about 30 minutes to repair it.   Thank you all and may the God of the universe watch over you, your family, now and always.---Will

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Jun 6, 2005 11:07 am
Good deal Will, glad it wasn't the other problem!

Oh yea, I think wives should always do the heavy work.

(ducking for cover)

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #9   Jun 6, 2005 3:29 pm
Will,

I figure God ia already watching over us by allowing you to regain your health and participate here, allowing me to learn more

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Majorxlr8n

Reply #10   Jun 6, 2005 8:22 pm
GREAT JOB to you Will & the Mrs!!  

Be well & thanks for the update - glad you're up & running again (both personally & OPE wise...)!!

Marty

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #11   Jun 6, 2005 8:30 pm
It's great we're all here to help each other.  It's always a good day when a project can be done for less than anticipated. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #12   Jun 6, 2005 8:36 pm
Will... happy outcomes are great !  ...even when we didn't want the problem to begin with !  

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Termy

Reply #13   Jun 7, 2005 4:05 am
I am very glad to here that you got that thing fixed Will! Good Deal

I am sorry I never replied to your post but I don't know much about Hydrostatic drive systems.

pecanmanwill

Reply #14   Jun 7, 2005 6:55 am
Folks---I appreciate each and every comment.  Marty, I meant to tell you yesterday---you hit it right on the head.  Could not believe that the bolt that kept it all together and in line with the fingers of the return spring had vibrated loose.  Folks, it was some loose.  Till we meet again your dear friend---Will

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42