Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Honda Powered Mower Opinion

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Craftsman Honda Powered Mower Opinion
Original Message   May 25, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi gang,

I haven't posted in a while and hope everyone is doing well.  Our 1972 LawnBoy self propelled mower spun a bearing, so I thought I'd purchase a new mower.  I've settled on the Craftsman 5.5hp 21" rear bag self propelled mower.  The fact it has the Honda engine is what got my attention.  The only thing I don't like is that it's front wheel drive.  We had a front wheel drive mower some years ago and every time the bagger started to get past half way full, it would cause the front wheels to tend to want to lift off the ground.  Sort of made it useless.  what do you all think of the front wheel drive mowers and do you have an opinion on this particular one I want to purchase.  The price of $379.00 is right for us, and we intend to purchase it on Monday, Memorial Day for some added savings.  Thanks folks.

Craftsman 5.5 hp, 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Propelled Lawn Mower

Sears item #07137669000 Mfr. model #37669

5.5 hp Honda Engine with Auto Choke gives you a well-recognized name of quality and performance. Variable speed EZ Walk allows the operator to walk at his or her own pace. 21 in. High Tunnel 3 in 1 deck has all mowing options. Learn more

Richie

Richie
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Craftsman Honda Powered Mower Opinion
Reply #7   May 26, 2005 6:18 am
Ritchie,
Take the Sears ad with you to Lowes. Price match should be no problem.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #8   May 26, 2005 6:28 am
Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to check it out.  I do have a Sears 17hp lawn tractor, so this walk-behind mower is used for those areas that are not practical for the riding mower.  Hopefully Lowes will have all the models in stock. 

Rob, I didn't know I could bring an Ad to Lowes and have them match the price.  Thanks again!

Richie 

Richie
jubol

Reply #9   May 26, 2005 9:38 am
 Richie,

Home Depot sells the same mower under the Poulan nameplate.

Also if you are a Vet, Retired Military or Active they are giving 10% off  thru Memorial day.

Lowes also on the discounts!!

Fred     

This message was modified May 26, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Emmo

Reply #10   May 26, 2005 10:00 am
jubol wrote:
 Richie,

Home Depot sells the same mower under the Poulan nameplate.

Also if you are a Vet, Retired Military or Active they are giving 10% off  thru Memorial day.

Lowes also on the discounts!!

Fred     

Sorry Fred.....Just saw that you edited to also include the Lowes info as well....
This message was modified May 26, 2005 by Emmo
jubol

Reply #11   May 26, 2005 10:06 am
 Emmo,

The important thing here is, we are all trying to help each other!!! Thank God! ! !

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #12   May 26, 2005 9:40 pm
Hi folks,

I walked into my local Lowes this morning with a printout from their website of the Husqvarna 5521RS.  They don't sell the 5521RS in their stores, only the 55R21HV and their top of the line Husky, which had a clutch to stop the blade.  The difference is that the HV model, although still a 3 in 1, the bagger system is better designed to mulch a bit better than the standard bagger type.  It was also $399.00.  They said these mowers are not discounted for the Memorial Day holiday, which was a disappointment since it was slightly more money than I wanted to spend.  The uniformed sales people sent me to another, much larger store, believing that the larger facility would have the model I wanted.  Naturally this wasn't so, but I ended up purchasing the 55R21HVL model from the store they ended up sending me to. 

I did make them remove it from the box so I could see if it had any damage to it.  I even supervised the minor assembly that even they were able to handle   When I was satisfied that it was in mint condition I took it home where I went over all the fasteners, added fuel and oil and read the instructions.

The funny thing is that before I actually wanted to start it up, I thought I'd very gently pull the starter rope, just enough to splash some oil around inside the engine, and I'm talking a real gentle slow pull, a pull that would make my Toro snowblower fall apart laughing at me.  To my amazement, the engine somehow kicked over.   Nice going Honda!  The quality of this rear wheel drive mower, fit and finish was excellent and a far superior mower compared to my old LawnBoy.  The ball bearing wheels are a real pleasure and this machine tracks dead on straight. 

If you squeeze the drive control lever to it's maximum, you'll have to do a slow jog to keep up with it.  About the only thing that I already see will end up bugging me is the "operator presence control" that's on all of these new machines.  I suppose I'll have to get used to it.

Thanks again for all your helpful opinions, you were all a big help.

Richie

This message was modified May 26, 2005 by Richie

Richie
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #13   May 26, 2005 9:45 pm
Congrats on the new machine! Sounds like a winner!

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #14   May 26, 2005 10:07 pm
Richie, $399.00 is an awful good price for what you end up with. They're without a doubt one of the best values going in walk behind/push lawn mowers. Congrats on your new mower! I would love to read your review of it after you have mowed a few times with it.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #15   May 26, 2005 10:37 pm
Sounds like a great deal again.  Husky is good quality for less money.  I think you made the right choice going with a rear wheel drive system.  I myself can't imagine using a front wheel when bagging.  Hopefully you can report each season how the Honda engine does for you. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #16   May 26, 2005 10:48 pm
Marshall wrote:
Richie, $399.00 is an awful good price for what you end up with. They're without a doubt one of the best values going in walk behind/push lawn mowers.

Marshall,

I knew it was a much better price compared to an equivalent Lawnboy mower, but I really had no idea that Husky was as good as what you've written.  After really looking it over and running it for a short while, I did feel it may be worth more than what I paid.  In any event, I do feel better now about spending what I did for it.

Richie

Richie
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42