Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Shady Grass

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Shady Grass
Original Message   May 24, 2005 6:34 pm
I'm looking for the best & toughest grass for use in a no sun zone of my yard. The area gets a lot of traffic, so it has to be a durable grass.

I appreciate all types that meet my needs, but also if a particular brand is better than the competition.

Before coming back to Abby's recently I posted this request for the best grass to grow throughout the web. Needless to say most respondents advised using the kind of grass you smoke, not mow.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 24 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Re: Shady Grass
Reply #24   May 26, 2005 4:06 pm
Hi Knee. With all that beer in the lawn, it must be a 12 step program.. Actually down the road I would like to research more on an organic program for my lawn. For now the Scotts has been doing a very good job.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #25   May 26, 2005 4:25 pm
I did pro lawn maintenance for 6 years back in the late 1970's early 1980's. Having handled all sorts of chemicals designed to boost this and kill that, I don't use ANY manufactured stuff on my own lawn. I'm sure it would all eventually end up in my well as it percolates down through the soil, and it is very harmfull to the "good" insects, and does not totally eliminate the "bad" insects. Organic is the way I go. It's healthier for me to handle, healthier for the lawn, cheaper to do, and I won't be drinking the whatevers that every bag and bottle I ever saw contains. If it is so safe to use, why does it have an 8 paragraph warning label about fish, wildlife, pets, spill management, washing hands, eyes if in contact, etc.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #26   May 26, 2005 4:51 pm
Where did you learn of the beer?
Vangellis

Reply #27   May 26, 2005 5:07 pm
So when we say organic, are we talking about products that can be bought at a lawn and garden store and are they really cheaper? What types of products are there? Just curious.

Thanks,   Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #28   May 26, 2005 7:33 pm
TheKneebiter

I like your organic lawn approach !

Wow... Zoisa woahs !

My 2nd order of 1200 plugs arrived yesterday ! Now... I'm concerned... thinking... I do thank you very much for the information and advice ! More knowledge !

I don't like throwing away $100 +  of it... and hours of time to plant the 1st time... plus removing it now... hmmm....

I believe what you say... and will expect it... and may say "I shoulda' removed it then !"

I think I'll go ahead and plant some of the new stuff... but limit it to where I didn't finish... not touching the other area I planned on...  if it fizzles out... it wan't look worse than now... yes... more work... but that's OK... ( yeah... right ! )

But... I'm gonna' sleep on it for a couple nights... maybe I can re-sell it to some folks who want hair ! LOL...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

robmints

Reply #29   May 26, 2005 9:04 pm
Kevin if you are looking for stuff at the garden center, Blue Seal makes some stuff. You can find a lot about organic lawn and garden care on the net. A lot. There was a guy on PBS named Jerry something that was big on the beer and soap and stuff. He had whole books with stuff like latex paint mixed with listerine to seal where you trim limbs off. I use Cockadodudledodo <sp> or better known as aged chicken poop. And corn gluten meal if I need a pre-emergent.  Lots of methods work just as good as another. And after a little while the lawn takes care of it's self almost. Good soil and good bugs, like worms  do a lot of the work for you. healthy grass keeps the weeds down.

Dave, if you are doing this for a lawn, I need to be in the anti-zoysia crowd. The rhysomes can be like a mini-bamboo, you will need a barrier (like a sidewalk)  to keep it from spreading and crowding everything else out. It can hold dirt with it's roots and is pretty durable and hearty. It does stay brown most of the year. It grows slow, but is hard to cut, and is hard on blades.
TheKneebiter

Reply #30   May 26, 2005 10:24 pm
Jerry Bakers lawn book. A great book if you are into your lawn. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345340949/102-8037479-8013740?v=glance    Marshall wrote:
Where did you learn of the beer?
This message was modified May 26, 2005 by TheKneebiter

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #31   May 26, 2005 10:49 pm
Thanks Knee, I'll check it out.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #32   May 27, 2005 9:20 pm
Hi...

Organic lawn / plant food / most anything growing... I use powdered seaweed mixed w/ water and sprayed on w/ a hand held pump sprayer... fine stuff ! Inexpensive for the area covered and results... also shred and compost yard debris and non-meat food waste... and use it... mostly use both on the organic veggie garden and yard plantings...

Zoisa grass.. the area I'm doing is ~~ 15 x 35'... a shady slope that I drive the truck and tractor on sometimes... kills regular grass... soil washes into driveway... I dunno... brown soil ? ...or brown spreading Zoiasa ?    ...no wonder why my girlfriend made a face when she saw the Zoisa planted...! ...looks like the hair club for men ! LOL...

More Zoisa dreams tonight ! ... Phewww....

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Vangellis

Reply #33   May 28, 2005 5:37 pm
Thanks for the tips and links guys. I was thinking maybe I could set my wife in a lawn chair in my tractor cart with a half keg, and let her go at it while I pull her around.  LOL

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 24 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42