Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Cleaning ignition connector terminals

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Cleaning ignition connector terminals
Original Message   May 23, 2005 1:25 pm
I am trying to clean the terminals within the wiring harness connector that plugs into the ignition switch.   It seems like if you put the screwdriver in the right place they should be free.  Has anyone had any luck with how to do this, and have directions and tips for me? 
This message was modified May 23, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
spottedpony

Re: Cleaning ignition connector terminals
Reply #3   May 24, 2005 12:46 am
if they're the round pin type terminals a .17 or .22 cal cleaning brush will work on the female terminals, a small piece of scotchbrite pad will do the males of either round pins or the flat spade type.......female spade type are tough to clean.....best ive found is a thin piece of metal say from a soda can, and fold a piece of emery paper over it to clean inside the terminal. then blow out gently with low presure compressed air
AJace

Reply #4   May 24, 2005 2:07 pm
Great Idea.  I got crossed eyed trying to look into the connector to see if there is someway to take them out.  I gave up.    I'll use both suggestions though. 

Majorxlr8n

Reply #5   May 24, 2005 7:13 pm
I use my Dremel tool with the small, circular wire brush. Cleans off ALL the crud promptly...

Marty

AJace

Reply #6   May 24, 2005 7:45 pm
If I remember you did that to your JD that gave you a rough time starting.  I was awaiting your response on this thread eagerly.  I have the Black & Decker version of the rotatory tool.  Dremel has some nice cleaning attachments, I never knew existed.   What number do you use?  Did you cut any of the plastic on the connection doing this?   

Majorxlr8n

Reply #7   May 25, 2005 12:34 am
AJ - I should have been more precise in my posting. I used a Dremel #403 on the ignition switch's male terminals that are actually ON the switch itself. For the connector's inside cleaning (female terminals), I use thin, modelling files (from my model building days) to get inside to polish them up.

Marty

AJace

Reply #8   May 25, 2005 1:08 am
Just trying to figure it out. 

Majorxlr8n

Reply #9   May 25, 2005 7:43 pm
My Sears YT16 was sold UNTIL it's starter wouldn't spin today. Guy came today to pick it up - figures. He wasn't happy, but I mentioned that this could have happened AFTER he brought it home! So after some quick diagnosis, I too, have a similar ignition switch contact problem. "Dremel'ed" the switch contacts, filed the connector contacts, but I get no voltage to the solenoid. Worked on it in the rain, so I wasn't 100% thourough. Wire to solenoid from ign switch has good continuity. Have 12v at the "B" terminal. I jumped "B" to "S" (solenoid) at the connector & it still doesn't spin over. I either have a broken wire or completely corroded terminal INSIDE the plastic connector. Guess I'll have to use crimp, spade type lugs to repair this...

Marty

AJace

Reply #10   May 25, 2005 7:54 pm
I guess you don't have 12v coming to the starter wire (where is connects to the starter terminal).   If not it's electrical, if so then the start is either faulty or it needs better ground. 

AJace

Reply #11   May 26, 2005 10:27 pm
I found out how these terminals come out of the connector.  Just simply insert a precision screwdriver into the proper connector where the clip is and bend it back.  I took a pic. 

That clip needs bent back and the whole butt connector just pulls out.   You have to bend it back into place when you install it again. 

Majorxlr8n

Reply #12   May 26, 2005 11:35 pm
AJ - GREAT post & pics!!

I found my problem. After cleaning the ALL ignition switch terminals, I still had the problem. Back to square one. For some reason I would lose my 12 volts at the switch when I engaged the starter. The culprit ended up being a corroded, melted fuse holder with only 22 gauge wires feeding it ....  Replaced it with a quality, automotive type & we're good to go.

Marty 

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42