Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bolens LT8 tractor project questions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Bolens LT8 tractor project questions
Original Message   May 19, 2005 1:57 pm
I got this one for free about 6 months ago and it's been waiting for me to start working on it. It's a small cheap Bolens tractor that most likely came with a 30" mower deck (long gone) and a formed sheet metal frame/pan, looks to be early 1970s if I had to guess.. The engine has compression, the steering is iffy, but fixable, and a 3 speed manual tranny. Anyone here familiar with this model? And if yes, is there anything I should know before attempting to get it running? Stuff like the tranny is made out of pasta and will break at the slightest load  or the rear axel is prone to fall off for no apparent reason.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Bolens LT8 tractor project questions
Reply #3   May 19, 2005 5:14 pm
you said its fromthe early 70s...

if it is then its not a low buck cheepie.

you will have to discribe its color and if its a rear engine rider or a tractor .

could you post the engines model type and code.this will tell me what year it is .

alsoif its a newer type ie 80s and a rear rider the transmission /differential,is a pretty good unit even if it looks cheep and should be servicible with enexpensive parts if necessary.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
bontaiJoe

Reply #4   May 20, 2005 9:22 am
Well it's definitely not an old tube frame garden tractor (I know what they are), in fact it seems to not have a frame, just a sheet metal pan that things are bolted to. It's a medium dark green in color, has a vertical shaft Brigg 8 HP engine, black seat, no lights, the battery is located under the seat, engone is up front in traditional tractor style, and has tiny little tires. The whole thing is about half the size of a Deere 316 and I can easily pick up either end off the floor. I don't have any more info right now, but I might get near the tractor over the weekend after I go to a tractor show. I have attached a photo of a different Bolens I found on Ebay just to show the color. (see picture below as it is closer to the model being described)
This message was modified May 20, 2005 by bontaiJoe

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
bontaiJoe

Reply #5   May 20, 2005 10:11 am
I actually found a picture of a very similar model. Mine looks almost exactly like this one.

Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   May 20, 2005 10:15 am
Joe - since its missing the deck, there isn't much that it can be used for other than pulling a small cart with a very light load (?). I would seriously reconsider just parting it out for future projects or sell it as-is on Ebay - just my opinion. I do agree with Snowshoveller that it could easilly be a money pit...

Marty

bontaiJoe

Reply #7   May 20, 2005 10:41 am
If I can get it running for $50-100, it would be worth it to use as a teaching aid for my wife and daughter so they can learn the use of a manual transmission and a clutch pedal. If it survives that, then it would be useful for pulling a cart of wood chips while my other tractor is being used to power the chipper. Otherwise it becomes a "hardware store" and source of parts for other projects. I was just hoping that someone here owned a similar model and therefore had an insight on it's specific peculiarities.

snowshoveler

Reply #8   May 20, 2005 11:21 am
now wait a minute i didnt say it was a money pit .i said it should be easily servicable...meaning not expensive.should have a peerless tranny and a briggs engine.

let us know what ails it and we can rebuild it for slightly less than a lot of cash

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
bontaiJoe

Reply #9   May 20, 2005 12:39 pm
"slightly less than a lot of cash."   I love your sense of humor!

Majorxlr8n

Reply #10   May 21, 2005 2:21 am
snowshoveler wrote:
you said its fromthe early 70s...

if it is then its not a low buck cheepie.

I interpreted that as meaning if its from the early 70's, it won't be a low buck cheepie to repair. Guess I misinterpreted your statement Chris - my apologies...

Marty

snowshoveler

Reply #11   May 21, 2005 5:33 pm
sorry about that Marty...

sometimes even the big guy.....Marshall has no idea what im saying

what i meant was if it was a 70 s era machine then it would be a good quality unit and i would try to repair it.

if it is a lot newer then well it could be less of a machine

generally speaking bolens made some very good stuff in the 60s and 70s and i have restored a couple for people and they were very good tractors .

later chris

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #12   May 21, 2005 8:39 pm
"sometimes even the big guy.....Marshall has no idea what im saying"

Yea but don't feel special, I don't understand what most people say.    
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42