Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Engine Flush

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Termy

Engine Flush
Original Message   May 17, 2005 2:53 am
What do you all reccomend as the best engine oil flush for small engines? Basically, I am looking for something that is not too expensive, easy to use, and will get the job done right! Do any of you guys have information and or links to such a product? Thanks...

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Engine Flush
Reply #1   May 17, 2005 9:19 am
What do you need it for?
Termy

Reply #2   May 17, 2005 12:11 pm
On oil changes, it might help to get the sludge out better.

Marshall

Reply #3   May 17, 2005 12:19 pm
Sorry, I meant oil changes on what? Your new Toro doesn't need it and your trimmers/edgers/blowers won't use it.
Termy

Reply #4   May 17, 2005 12:27 pm
I have a neighbor who has a old troybilt tiller and he has not changed the oil in it for 5 years! I said to him that I may need to get some engine flush to help get all the sludge out of it.

Marshall

Reply #5   May 17, 2005 12:47 pm
Terms, a number of companies make engine flushes, BG, Gunk, Amsoil, Berrymans, etc. You always run a bit of risk when flushing an old engine that hasn't had its oil changed regularly. Deposits of gunk, sludge, carbon, etc. can come loose and get stuck in areas you wouldn't want them to be in. But, it can be a good thing too.

If I was to do anything I would just take some Berrymans B-12 Carb and Cranckcase cleaner and pout a small amount into the crankcase, like a cap full or so, run the engine and then drain it.

1. Drain old oil
  2. Put in Berrymans
  3. Put in new cheap oil
  4. Run engine
  5. Drain
  6. Fill with new good oil.

Follow the instructions on the bottle, adapt for small engine use.

This message was modified May 17, 2005 by Marshall
Termy

Reply #6   May 17, 2005 12:56 pm
Thanks Marshall...

I will ask him weather he wants to take that risk or not. But I will tell him, its bad either way! If we don't do it, he may have problems in a year such as engine seisure and whatnot. If we tackle it now, that tiller may still be running for another 5 years!

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42