Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New for '05: Revolutonary L&G Tractor Mower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

New for '05: Revolutonary L&G Tractor Mower
Original Message   May 15, 2005 11:42 pm
Taken from another forum but I think some in here may find it useful/interesting. (I sure did!) The whole thread is here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=94725

LawnSite Gold Member

New for '05: Revolutonary L&G Tractor Mower

I've known for a long time about the following piece of equipment, new for '05. So far, everything has been hush-hush and there has been an extreme pressure to keep it that way, aside from the teasing press leaks in order to create a little early interest. With that said, I was under the impression info this unit as well as some others would be released after 2005 arrived. But so far it's mid-January and nothing.....

Now finally it's OK talk about it and there has been a heavy amount of conversation going on here that has been taunting me to talk about this new unit. So here goes........

This new unit is one of Kubota's new offerings for 2005 and it's in a category that was not discussed much here until recently. This unit I would describe as a mini-tractor. It's a little tractor that is the size of their garden tractors.

For a full description picture this.... Take a heavy duty frame the size of their G-series mowers. Now for body work, an updated version of the sleek T-series styling. For comfort, add a full suspension seat. Then put on 23x10.5-12 rear tires and 16x6.5-6 front tires.

Well now, so far many of you may say so what? An extra heavy duty lawn and garden tractor?

Well here is where it really starts to get good. So now we have the look and ruggedness of the machine. Now let's get into performance. Take that body and mount the same diesel engine used to power Kubota's ZD21 in a low-slung position in the frame. The goodies!!! The engine is mounted low for center-of-gravity and to also facilitate all shaft drive, while being able to maintain a hump-free flat operator deck. Shaft drive to the HST rear end, mowing deck..... and get this!!! AWD.........

So here we have an AWD diesel mini-tractor. Here is where it gets even better! Borrow the new 54" Performance Pro Deck which can be found on the Kubota ZG23. This commercial deck is best described and Kubota's version of John Deere's 7-Iron deck. Same shape, build and form. Heavy duty and deep. However, this deck has a better front baffle system in the deck. I found it to be a stellar side discharge performer on the ZG23.

So now we have an all shaft drive AWD mini-tractor with a commercial diesel engine borrowed from the ZD21 and a deep 54" commercial duty shaft drive deck borrowed from the ZG23. Now it gets even better, even more creature comforts. It has the same HST drive control peddle as the BX series tractors. Hydro everything.... deck/implement lift with dial-a-height cutting adjustment and power steering, as well as hydraulic PTO's / hydraulic wet type multi disc PTO clutch.

Impressive, but actually I haven't even gotten to the hot ticket items yet. It's the total drive system package that is truly innovative and revolutionary. What's awesome about this is that BOTH front tires are able to turn an incredible 70 degrees in both directions. Wow! wanna talk about a sharp turning radius!!!

But now everyone knows what comes along with sharp turning... Turf tears front the rear tires twisting or spinning while pushing against the sharply turned tires. Skid marks from when the front tires just skid instead of turning because they aren't getting bite and the rear is pushing them along. Last but not least, there is the turf tearing from the front tires of an AWD/4WD machine when trying to turn while the front drive is engaged.

But remember, I only said the awesome part was 70 degree front steering. The innovative and revolutionary part is yet to come. Kubota has addressed all the issues with their new drive system. Kubota named the solution 'Glide Steer".....

Without getting into the technical specifics, here is how the drive system works in a nutshell. As you are running along in AWD and you decide to turn sharp, since the front can turn 70 degress, something has got to give. It turns so sharp that the inside rear tire would tear the turf if something wasn't done. So what happens is, once you start to turn, let's say hard left, as you steer into the turn, the Glide Steer system begins to variably limit the left rear tire traction in the same ratio as you are turning the steering wheel. This is variable until the cut-off point where the tire would cause turf damage. Once you enter this steering angle it's turning so sharply that the left rear wheel must become fully disengaged and able to roll freely.

Wow!!! Now where this gets even better is in effect, the limited traction thru disengagement actually kills multiple birds with one stone on an AWD system. What happens is that you have maximum AWD positive traction at all times until you reach a turning point where it becomes a problem. Ever try turning a tractor with the Dif-Lock engaged? Anywho... the Glide Steer system creates a seamless controled traction transition. In doing so it also eliminates front wheel turf tears from AWD/4WD. How it does this is that the drive transitions to a point where the front tires are pulling the machine hard left and the right rear tire is helping in that effort because it's on the outside of the turning arc helping without any aid from the left rear. So the machine is pulling itself in the turning direction as opposed to conventional AWD/4WD which works in a push-tug-twist fashion at times.

All in all it seems to be one heck of a package. One that I'm certainly interested in, even if many others might not be. I've been waiting on a unit like this to come out for a long time.

Attached Images

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: New for '05: Revolutonary L&G Tractor Mower
Reply #1   May 16, 2005 9:27 am
Thanks Brian! Sound really nice! Anything on price? 

I like the "tractor" body instead of the MTD looking one though.

lland

Reply #2   May 16, 2005 9:30 am
Sounds like a great "little" machine.

Sounds like an expensive "little" machine.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #3   May 16, 2005 9:57 am
Taken from the forum:

Well, I got to RIDE this bad boy today.... The GR2100 21hp diesel 54" cut and man ol man is it a piece of ingenuity! It's a real piece of work. I turned that puppy as tight as she would go and went round and round over crush run sand. You could hardly tell I had been there. NOTHING disturbs the ground under it LESS than this machine.

It's slick up one side and down the other. I give it an A+ in ALL areas except ground speed, which is a non-issue for me, given the local terrain. BUT you have to understand this was ONLY a heavy look at the machine and a test RIDE. I did NOT get to mow with it, as I am told their will be no demos of this mower for a while (no time frame). However, I have actually had a cutting demo with that exact mowing deck, because as I said before, because the deck is borrowed from the ZG 23/54" Kubota gas zero turn. Reports there are positive. However, this guarantees nothing because I have no idea if the blades are actually turned as fast on the GR2100.

I would have really loved to have taken it out for a hill filled full fledge cutting demo. But no dice there. I liked the machine so much I would have almost bought it with no demo though.

However, I don't care for the "box-o-chocolates" purchases because you never really know what you're gonna get. So I really must stick to the "no demo-no dice" purchase rules, as I think we all should. Also, although I have a lot of use for such a machine AND I should be looking to replace the old lawn tractor.... it's not really a SMART purchase for me at this time, not only because of the lack of demo availability, but because it is also not financially smart timing for me due to my exisiting equipment and recent purchases.

Any outfit only needs so many mowers, and to be a smart purchase for me it would have to be a purchase that kills two birds with one stone, as I would intend for it to. In other words it would be a replacement for my old lawn tractor and pull it's duties, plus I think it would also easily fill the shoes of my 48" ZTR. But that unit happens to be brand new at this time.

It's also a considerable purchase too.... so on to the cost...

List price is $8,199 BEANS!.......

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

Reply #4   May 16, 2005 10:09 am
I WONDER IF THAT PRICE IS WITH A DECK?
Emmo

Reply #5   May 16, 2005 10:26 am
Marshall wrote:
I WONDER IF THAT PRICE IS WITH A DECK?

According to the website
...........yes.

The available 2 stage snowblower would be easy to maneuver with this tight turning radius.
This message was modified May 16, 2005 by Emmo
Marshall

Reply #6   May 16, 2005 10:42 am
That's a pretty aggressive price!      
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   May 16, 2005 3:19 pm
I'd buy it if I could get a used price on it, and the deck was easy to take off.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #8   May 16, 2005 3:44 pm
I wonder if the 54" deck is to be the smallest available? I would have to have a 42 or a 48.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #9   May 16, 2005 8:47 pm
Sounds SWEET !... but real pricy... !

Thanks for the info... I'l keep an eye out for it at the dealers... wanna' check it out...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42