Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Easier way to change the oil?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Easier way to change the oil?
Original Message   May 15, 2005 11:07 pm
Is there a device that allows you to put a tub down the oil filler neck and pump out the oil as apposed to going underneath? If not, there sould be! And if so, can you post a link, or brand name, or where to look for one?

Thanks again,
Brian

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Easier way to change the oil?
Reply #9   May 16, 2005 5:28 pm
a couple years ago we were at an update school and they were bragging about the oil vaccuum ,of course i was a sceptic.

a guy next to us said he got one to use on argos.and now its used all the time.

so we decided to get one ,well it came and we were still sceptical so we used it and still took out the drainplugs just to check if it was working as supposed to.

i can tell tou now that its the best tool in the shop     no question about it.

and the engine manufacturers say its okay for them to.

if you can get one in your budget go ahead,was about a hundred canadian. for an 15 liter size

should be almost free in US  

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
robmints

Reply #10   May 16, 2005 6:35 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

should be almost free in US  

later chris

In Alaska Senator Stevens makes sure you get paid to buy one.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #11   May 16, 2005 11:31 pm
Snowshovler, where can I buy something like this? 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #12   May 17, 2005 12:08 am
Me, I'll stick w/ Sir Isaac Newton and let gravity drain my oil, but you can buy this thing at Northern Tool for 39 bucks.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=390306&R=390306

Termy

Reply #13   May 17, 2005 2:54 am
You could allways use a funnel with a garden hose attached to it

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #14   May 17, 2005 8:58 am
About four years ago I saw an article in Consumer Reports about a PELA (http://www.pelaproducts.com/) oil changer. My Dad was getting older, but still liked to change his own motor oil, so I bought it for him.

Unfortunately his GM car was not compatible with the device because there wasn't a straight run from the dipstick to the oil pan (there was a bend which a dipstick can easily maneuver through, but the plastic PELA nozzle could not). So he gave it back to me so I could use it. My Pontiac Grand Am did not have the bend and it worked great for two oil changes and one lawn mower change. Then the nozzle that holds the vaccuum after you pump got loose and no amount of glue or anything else has gotten it to work since.

It's still in my garage - pay for shipping and I'll gladly send it to you. $50 was the initial cost and I could have paid someone to change my oil for all the use it gave me. Not the greatest item, and since you don't use it regularly, the warranty runs out fast).

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #15   May 17, 2005 9:41 am
The Pela is what we use here at the shop for the small engines and it works great.  If it's real quiet (like that happens a lot) the sound of the last reminants of oil being sucked out scares the crap out of people.  I've seen people jump at the sound and I just giggle and shake my head.  It saves a lot of time when changing the oil around a busy shop.  Just stick tube in, walk away while finishing the last project and getting ready for the next.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Termy

Reply #16   May 17, 2005 12:57 pm
I still say that my funnel with the 12 inch long garden hose attached to it is fine for your purposes. I use mine that I fabricated myself and never have a problem. Why go and buy some mucky muck oi sump pump that may not get all the sludge out?

Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #17   May 17, 2005 2:15 pm
I can see the use of it in a busy shop, but I think I'd rather go with gravity too. This was a nice feature on the Briggs Vanguard V-twin on the Simplicity I just got. Then after your done changing the oil, it just tucks back up in.       Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #18   May 17, 2005 3:51 pm
Kevin, I guess you just turn that valve that in the engine with a wrench and then turn off the plug with another?  It seems like that hose is just pressed on.  Looks like that tractor is getting used. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42