Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Homelite Hand held blower. Found in Trash

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TheKneebiter

Homelite Hand held blower. Found in Trash
Original Message   May 15, 2005 6:18 pm
Hello, I found a Homelite 180v hand held 2 cycle blower in the trash. It looks mint. I filled it with fresh 2 cycle and it fired up but will only run with the choke set half way. I removed the carb and it looked spotless but i cleaned it out good with gumout and reinstalled it. same thing. it will only run on half choke. if i shut the choke off it bogs down to a stall. if i put the choke on full as it bogs and then move it to half it stays running. i tried adjusting the 2 mixture screws but still no go. any idea's ??
This message was modified May 15, 2005 by TheKneebiter

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Termy

Re: Homelite Hand held blower. Found in Trash
Reply #1   May 15, 2005 6:23 pm
I do have a idea. You said the carb was spotless, thats a good thing. But, have you removed the adjustment screws to make sure that the tiny holes in them are cleaned out? Also, make sure your using the right fuel/mix ratio. Make sure the air cleaner is cleaned. If you are still having problems, we will take the next step.

TheKneebiter

Reply #2   May 15, 2005 6:53 pm
Yes i removed the screws and sprays the gumout in the holes and it came out the other side with no problems. also the air filter is clean. this unit looks as if it might have only been used a handfull of times. i would love to get it running good. thanks for the help. Terminator20 wrote:
I do have a idea. You said the carb was spotless, thats a good thing. But, have you removed the adjustment screws to make sure that the tiny holes in them are cleaned out? Also, make sure your using the right fuel/mix ratio. Make sure the air cleaner is cleaned. If you are still having problems, we will take the next step.
This message was modified May 15, 2005 by TheKneebiter

buttlint

Reply #3   May 15, 2005 7:14 pm
KB.
Does this carb have limiter caps on it? If not, what are they set at?
Is the carb or cylinder loose. (Grab them and try and see if they move.)
Have you taken the muffler off and checked the cylinder for scoring and the condition of the piston? (Check the spark arrestor screen, in the muffler ,for clogging.
Are the fuel lines cracked?
When you checked the carb, was the screen on the fuel pump side (opposite of the diaphram side) clean. (Sometimes its just best too remove the screen for troubleshooting.
robmints

Reply #4   May 15, 2005 7:18 pm
Knee,
How are the hoses? No kinks restrictions? No cracks? The little filter on the end of the pickup hose is good? How is the fuel pump diaphram? Diaphram spring? Passages to and from the pump?
Majorxlr8n

Reply #5   May 15, 2005 7:29 pm
I'm with 'Lint on this one - compression loss due to a loose cylinder head/block. Very common on the small 2 stroke trimmers due to extreme vibration. Another simple thing to check first is to loosen the gas cap - me "freebie" Sears blower only runs with the cap loose, otherwise it must be run on about 1/2 choke if I forget & make the gas cap tight...

Marty

Termy

Reply #6   May 15, 2005 7:33 pm
You guys just covered what I was going to tell him lol. Do all that and let us know how it goes.

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #7   May 16, 2005 11:36 am
I'm thinking the worst case scenerio is that the guy that owned it, ran straight gas (no 2 cycle oil) in it out of ignorance, in which case it's gonna need a lot of TLC. Otherwise what was recommended above should get it running. I know I would have picked it up if I had seen it, because nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best of luck in fixing it up!

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #8   May 16, 2005 2:36 pm
I'd replace the whole fuel system, lines, and filter.  A family member has a Weedeater that I believe somehow got dirt in it and scored the cylinder wall, as it's no go. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

lland

Reply #9   May 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Personally, if it runs well on half choke, I'd just leave it on half choke.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42