Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Shed roof extension

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Shed roof extension
Original Message   May 14, 2005 8:01 pm
     Hi Gang. A few weeks ago, I had an extension built off my shed roof for a couple of reasons. Although I chose this style roof for the inside height, it caused me problems in the winter. If there was snow on the roof, it would melt during the day and freeze at night. This would cause an ice dam to form at the bottom of the doors. Well, it became a lot of work just to chip the ice away to get inside the shed. I'd think "great, I can't even get to my blower". Also, even during the warmer months if it was raining, you couldn't leave the doors open, because it would come right off the roof onto the doors. Not good. Anyway, it's remedied now. I also had the contractor put in a couple lofts and a work bench. It's 12x20, so I have enough room for the 2 tractors, snowblower, pushmower, wheelbarrow and then some.
     Another consideration for anyone in the market for a shed is location. Originally I had a couple spots in mind that were farther down in my backyard. One day while staring out the back patio door, I thought about how much fun it would be to trudge through a foot of snow all the way to the bottom of my yard. I finally decided on a good spot up close to the house and right off my deck. It's just so much easier to get things and to get rolling with the task at hand. Unless of course, you need a hiding spot from the spouse.   LOL
     Anyway, if anyone out there is in the market for a shed, I hope this gives you a little food for thought.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Outline
Termy

Re: Shed roof extension
Reply #1   May 14, 2005 8:17 pm
Nice shed! I tell you, you can't get a shed like that out of those walmart metal shed kits!

Vangellis

Reply #2   May 14, 2005 9:50 pm
Thanks Termy. Everytime I went looking at them, it got bigger.  LOL   I was out there most of the day today re-organizing . Amamzing the space you can create with a few hooks and nails.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   May 14, 2005 9:59 pm
I like the parking for irish dad's only.  I have one of those with my name on it, and it's put where my custom tractor is parked.   As for location, I'd probably want it closer to the house if not make my garage bigger. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Vangellis

Reply #4   May 14, 2005 10:07 pm
Hi AJace. My son bought me that sign a couple years before I got the shed. It goes perfect there.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #5   May 15, 2005 11:34 am
Hi...

Looks like the door freeze problem shoud be solved !

Now all that's needed are side walls under the the new roof... more storage ! ...LOL...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   May 15, 2005 7:37 pm
Good deal Kevin! That extension could also provide a dry, cooler spot when you have to do some work on the OPE! You may want to consider putting some more bricks or patio block so you have a nice, flat surface to work on under the awning. I know firsthand how hot these sheds get inside during the summer - I already have lost 10lbs due to working on 2 new tractor acqusitions, and you gave me a thought for a similar addition!

Marty

Vangellis

Reply #7   May 15, 2005 9:40 pm
Marshall.  LMAO  No coons around lately, but I did have a resident woodchuck under the shed last year. Haven't seen him this year yet. but he may move in when the apples start coming off my trees.

Marty, It.s actually easier to work on the tractors the way it is. Theres a dip between the ramp and the grass, so if I park the tractor with the back wheels on the ramp, theres extra room to get underneath. I saw the pics of the the Kubota. Another piece of art. Nobody cleans them up like you do.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #8   May 15, 2005 10:59 pm
Now that was VERY FUNNY Marshall!!!

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #9   May 16, 2005 11:30 am
Excellent addition to your shed! Also looks like a nice shady spot to sit in a chair and contemplate your kingdom with a cold beverage.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Vangellis

Reply #10   May 16, 2005 12:26 pm
bontaiJoe wrote:
Excellent addition to your shed! Also looks like a nice shady spot to sit in a chair and contemplate your kingdom with a cold beverage.

You betcha.  LOL  Even on a rainy day now.

Thanks,   Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #11   May 16, 2005 2:29 pm
Good one Marshall 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42