Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > weed trimmer quality- echo or homelite?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

weed trimmer quality- echo or homelite?
Original Message   May 14, 2005 1:50 pm
I was just wondering if this homelite trimmer I came across is as good ( or better/worse) than the Echo GT2000R  I have? keeping only one of them. Homelite dosen't seem to have a model sticker but does say made by 'textron'.  both excellent cond.   thanks for any opinions on the keeper.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: weed trimmer quality- echo or homelite?
Reply #2   May 14, 2005 2:04 pm
What are you selling the Homelite for? 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Termy

Reply #3   May 14, 2005 2:20 pm
So he can get rid of it. Homelite makes cheap stuff that breaks easily. I have never bought a homelite, and won't now, and never will lol.

lland

Reply #4   May 14, 2005 3:58 pm
I have a John Deere trimmer...made by Homelite.  The manual was for a Homelite, the warranty card went back to Homelite (actually, at one point, John Deere owned Homelite).  I bought it for two reasons; (1) it took attachments, and (2) it was cheap (I figured it would last a year or two).  I wanted the attachment option because my old blower died (the blower attachment isn't  good for much other than sweeping the driveway or walks) and an edger (didn't feel like buying a dedicated edger).  It doesn't look like a super high quality machine (small single crank engine, smallish gas tank. very bendable trigger) but I've had it for about three years now and while I don't abuse it, I do use it hard and it just keeps on going.  hasn't missed a beat yet.  While it is nowhere near the quality of an Echo (or Stihl, etc.) I have been impressed so far by it's gutsy determination to show me up.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
buttlint

Reply #5   May 14, 2005 4:56 pm
Terminator20 wrote:
So he can get rid of it. Homelite makes cheap stuff that breaks easily. I have never bought a homelite, and won't now, and never will lol.

Homelite used too make good cheap stuff.
There are still lots and lots of pieces that are still doing thier jobs. People are still bringing them in for repair because they like them and they gave many good years of service.
The stuff that is using the Homelite name today...is just pure junk. Over the last 2 years there have been no signs that the company will ever make a comeback.
Too bad really.....Yet another affordable, half decent product bites the dust.
AJace

Reply #6   May 14, 2005 5:48 pm
I guess some chinese compnay now owns Homelite? 
Actually Geno, I meant what price are you selling the Homelite for?

Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Reply #7   May 15, 2005 8:24 am
thanks for the input folks. Ajace..I am not really selling it- giving to my Church. I had been leaving my Echo over there but think I'll let the 'homelite' there instead. want to do mowing next year after retirement for part time work and think ( by opinions here) the Echo is a better choice. I also have a sthil to use.    thanx-   Gene
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #8   May 15, 2005 9:30 am
I have a Homelite trimmer...the cheapo from Home Depot. I paid $89 for it  5 years ago when I bought my house. Didn't want to spend big money as this was my first house and was not sure how tight money was going to be. Because it was "cheap" and I planned on getting a quality straight shaft, I never took care of it.  I left stale gas in it  and I made to much of the "mixed" gas so I am sure it is also 1/2 varnish! Still poured it in!  This thing starts and runs every time! I can't kill it!!! (And I have to, to be able to justify  getting a new one!)  It has plenty of power (I can do most of the trimming while it is ideling!) It has no clutch so one thing less to break. I have even lent it out...and this is a sure way to kill  it...but it still runs!

I just can't say anything bad about this Homlite!
My dad used a Homelite chainsaw it too was a very good performer... go figure!

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

AJace

Reply #9   May 15, 2005 1:53 pm
Very good choice Geno.  I'd buy a Homelite now if I knew they were they same quality they were 5 or so years ago. 

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #10   May 15, 2005 7:32 pm
Good choice.
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #11   May 15, 2005 10:57 pm
In my previous post I should have said "buy the Echo" as most of us know the Echo is a MUCH better machine!  I was just trying to say that  even the Homelite most likely will get the job done You made the right choice with the Echo...I just bought a Echo Blower and did not even stop to give the Homelite a solid look

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42