Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Still a newbie

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Still a newbie
Original Message   May 11, 2005 5:55 pm
Five years ago when I bought a new lawn tractor, I was so overjoyed at having something I could depend on that I fell into a bad habit. It was new, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Since joining this forum, I've tried to make up for my errors. The other day I was cleaning-checking-lubing and it dawned on me that I'd never greased the zerks on it. Since it only has about 300 or so total hours I wasn't too worried...but I asked my neighbor to do it (since I didn't have a grease gun). I figured only a couple squirts on each fitting were needed....WRONG!!!  The front axle alone took more than two 14 ounce tubes of Lubriplate, and the fittings on the front wheels each took several squirts. I have seen the LIGHT!!!, and now have my own grease gun. I think these are the only four fittings on the machine (it's just a simple AYP with a 14.5 vertical opposed Briggs, 42 cut). It's had one mower belt replaced, also the steering drag link (probably due to lack of lube). Am still in a learning mode.

AZ  

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AZinOH

Re: Still a newbie
Reply #12   May 14, 2005 7:24 pm
Marshall,

Got the new air filter for the lawn tractor today. I was pleased (but surprised) that I was able to find it at the first place I went to, especially since I understand this Briggs engine ceased production in '01. (a 14.5 vertical opposed twin). Hopefully, other Briggs parts will be as easy to obtain if needed.

AZ

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #13   May 14, 2005 10:04 pm
It may just be me, but it seems that twin cylinder engine parts stick around more than the single cylinder at the repair center. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

AZinOH

Reply #14   May 14, 2005 10:19 pm
AJace wrote:
It may just be me, but it seems that twin cylinder engine parts stick around more than the single cylinder at the repair center. 

That's what surprised me the most...this wasn't really a "repair center". This place I go to is a somewhat scaled down version of HD-Lowes (along with food-work clothing-small appliances) , and has been in my town quite a looooong time. These filters were hanging on the rack one aisle over from where the Toro-LawnBoy-MTD push mowers were being displayed, along with a selection of other filters, belts and mufflers.

AZ

This message was modified May 14, 2005 by AZinOH

Emmo

Reply #15   May 15, 2005 10:02 am
AZinOH wrote:
That's what surprised me the most...this wasn't really a "repair center". This place I go to is a somewhat scaled down version of HD-Lowes (along with food-work clothing-small appliances) , and has been in my town quite a looooong time. These filters were hanging on the rack one aisle over from where the Toro-LawnBoy-MTD push mowers were being displayed, along with a selection of other filters, belts and mufflers.

AZ

Sounds like the Andersens to me.??
AZinOH

Reply #16   May 15, 2005 10:11 am
Emmo wrote:
Sounds like the Andersens to me.??

Emmo, you're right. It is The Andersons in Maumee. Only place I know of where you can get tools, paint, OPE, Honeybaked ham, Tony Packo's hot dogs and Carharts all under one roof.

AZ

Emmo

Reply #17   May 15, 2005 10:16 am
AZinOH wrote:
Emmo, you're right. It is The Andersons in Maumee. Only place I know of where you can get tools, paint, OPE, Honeybaked ham, Tony Packo's hot dogs and Carharts all under one roof.

AZ

We've got 2 of them in Columbus, one only a couple of miles away.

Yeah, pretty nice to go pick up a case of oil, a spool of trimmer line,  a new pair of Wolverine boots, a coffee maker, some home made Salsa and chips, cut to order steaks, a birthday cake, a case of natural lite, potting soil and 5 flats of flowers all in one trip!
This message was modified May 15, 2005 by Emmo
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #18   May 15, 2005 1:50 pm
Sounds like Walmart without all the hassle of people in the way and a more friendly environment.  Sounds like a place I'd shop at. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Emmo

Reply #19   May 15, 2005 2:01 pm
Yeah they are friendlier and their people in Hardware, lumber, electrical etc know what they are doing.......the food dept is not that big but the produce is gourmet, the deli, bakery and meats are first rate and the wine and beer dept are huge. Nice garden center too.  They used to be family owned (may still be, I don't know) started in Toledo as a farm supply and feed mill.
AZinOH

Reply #20   May 15, 2005 3:24 pm
The Andersons (Nasdaq: ANDE) has grown quite a bit from it's beginnings as a farm supply company. If interested, the corporate site is  www.andersonsinc.com and the retail store site is www.andersonsstore.com  I don't really know if the family is still involved, but I suspect it is. Also, there is www.andersonmowercenter.com , where I purchased my Toro 726.

AZ

Emmo

Reply #21   May 15, 2005 3:30 pm
   ABOUT THE ANDERSONS...

OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS

Dennis J. Addis
President, Plant Nutrient Division
Daniel  T. Anderson
President, Retail Group
Michael  J. Anderson
President and Chief Executive Officer
Richard  M. Anderson
President, Processing Group
Richard  P Anderson
Chairman of the Board of Directors
Thomas  H. Anderson
Chairman Emeritus, Board of Directors

Looking at a partial listing of Chiefs, I'd say the family is still involved........
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42