Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Scouting for tractor stuff?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Scouting for tractor stuff?
Original Message   May 11, 2005 12:54 pm
So how far off the road can you spot (fill in your brand here) paint(about 100 feet for me if I'm driving)? And do you vary your commute to and from work in hopes you will find something along the road (I do)? And have any of you trained your spouse to spot for you? My wife is almost as good as I am at spotting Deere green paint. She recently told me of a "cute" Deere tractor for sale along her commute. I checked it out to find a Large Deere construction loader w/ back-hoe for over $10,000. I guess she hasn't got the size thing down yet.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
lland

Re: Scouting for tractor stuff?
Reply #1   May 11, 2005 1:00 pm
My wifw still wouldn't see tractor (or any OPE) stuff if she tripped over it.  Now, put a Brighton handbag within 100 miles and she'll find it.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Emmo

Reply #2   May 11, 2005 1:10 pm
bontaiJoe wrote:
  I guess she hasn't got the size thing down yet.

Joe, I hope this doesn't apply to ALL things in her life!

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   May 11, 2005 1:33 pm
You've trained her well Joe! 
skyking3

Reply #4   May 12, 2005 7:55 am
newer stuff?................'bout 12 feet................

if i see a hint of vintage wheelhorse or cub cadet paint ?....................

found my recent addition from 'bout 350 feet..........driving..............

my wife thinks i'm nuts 'bout OPE................... true...................

she just turns a blind eye for stuff like that....................

drive by my house and from 4 feet away you'll find a '67 Deere ...................for sale...................... 

bill

RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #5   May 13, 2005 1:53 pm
I can see Ariens orange and Snapper red from quite a distance away.  Unfortunately, it's usually when I'm on my bike.  According to my wife, it's a good thing that "you were on your bike, so you couldn't  bring it home"...

I was just happy to see another neighbor with two snowblowers (Ariens and Toro) in his garage, now I can point to him and tell my wife that I'm not the only one with a spare snow blower (or two.)

Garandman

Reply #6   May 13, 2005 2:44 pm
RalphS wrote:

....I was just happy to see another neighbor with two snowblowers (Ariens and Toro) in his garage, now I can point to him and tell my wife that I'm not the only one with a spare snow blower (or two.)

I'm starting the reassembly of the 1970 Ariens this weekend, while the recently acquired ST824 waits its turn. The five day cure for the Dupli-Color enamal is tomorrow so I can start putting together the tractor.

Just for grins I've been examining the engine layout and mounting locations of a B&S twin OHV, and looking into the torque capacity of the 1/2 inch V-belts on the 824. I see from the manual that it's good for up to 12hp engines from the factory.
I'm thinking that 18hp would still be OK. "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess."

For tractors as I don't have any grass, I visit my brother-in-law every summer, who has five of them, including one 30's and one 40's vintage.

This message was modified May 13, 2005 by Garandman
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   May 13, 2005 3:30 pm
I like having extra equipment too.  But I don't have that privilege of pointing yet lol. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

bontaiJoe

Reply #8   May 18, 2005 11:06 am
Apparently I can see more than Deere green. On my way to work this morning, I happened to see a Case 200 series tractor with a "For Sale" sign on it. Hard to read the hand written spec sheet on the nose of the tractor while going by at 40 MPH. I can't check it out tonight as I'm picking up my daughter's bride'smaid gown, but if it is still there tomorrow night, I'll just HAVE to stop and see the price and condition. Not knowing might keep me up at night, and I definitely need my beauty sleep.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   May 18, 2005 1:21 pm
Let us know what you find out.
bontaiJoe

Reply #10   May 20, 2005 9:33 am
I got to see the tractor last night. It's a Case 222 Hi-Drive with a 12 HP horizontal cast iron "K" series Kohler. The tractor comes with a front mounted snow blower, chains, plastic wheel weights, no mower deck. The best metal parts on the tractor are 65% paint, 35% rust..... the worst metal parts are 50%- 50%. No one around to ask if it starts, no obvious leaks, tires were fair and seemed to be holding air, seat was torn up but still useable, the tinwork was straight with no rot through, head lights were cracked, judging from the large oil smudge near the exhaust on the tinwork, it burns oil. The price on it was $500 which to me seemed high........ I was thinking (hoping?)more like $350, but with no one to haggle with, I don't know what the seller would take.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42