Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > castor front wheels for a walk behind mower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

castor front wheels for a walk behind mower
Original Message   May 8, 2005 9:44 pm
hi All,

I have put all my snow blower refurbishing on hold for a while.  It is time to get the mower in shape.  I have a 6.5 21" rear drive Scotts brand (Murray)  with the single lever height adjustment.   Do they make an aftermarket set or castor type wheels for the front ?   I would think thai would make it easier to make the many turns i have to make in my lawn.

I also will need a new blade. can I just go to the local harware and pick up a generic type blade or does it have to be a scotts brand ?

thanks

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Re: castor front wheels for a walk behind mower
Reply #1   May 8, 2005 9:53 pm
No caster conversion that I know of.  I like the idea though...
I put a generic high lift blade on mine and it worked fine.
I have the 21" high wheel with the 6.5 HP Intek engine. Man o man that motor is smoooooth! My biggest complaint was the ground speed was way to slow!

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   May 8, 2005 10:09 pm
Like Brian said, I don't know of one if there is one. Even if there was I'm sure it would be aweful pricey for it to be the kind that you can lock and unlock fron the handle. You don't want the other kind anyway.

You can order direct from Gator, Jacks doesn't show one for a 21" Scotts or Murray. Gator will tell you what they have that will work if you want to try one. Did Deere have a clone to that Scotts?
Gator Mulching Blade

I found this, don't know if it's the right number or not though?
60412 EA 97-920 BLADE GATOR MULCHER MURRAY 21" 10.49
Doodlefork

Reply #3   May 9, 2005 9:46 am
See if this is what you're looking for.

http://www.eazymow.com/

lland

Reply #4   May 9, 2005 4:51 pm
If you convert to castor front wheels, if you mow across any slope, you may want to be srue they are easily lockable (straight ahead) from the operator position or you may find yourself fighting their tendency to head downhill.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42