Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1971 Craftsman Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

1971 Craftsman Snowblower
Original Message   May 8, 2005 8:18 pm
I know I'm a little late in the season, but my neighbor brought out his 1971, 7 HP Craftsman yesterday to try and sell it at a yard sale. I had asked him last spring if I could get a few pics this past winter, but he buried it under a tarp in the back yard as he found a newer machine to use. It runs, but doesn't develop much power. It might just need a good carb clean as he stores it with unstabilized leftover fuel every year. It seems to run smoothly but bogs when under load.

The electric start still works and he had it running a day or two ago. Note the simple controls. Looks like reverse and forward only. No speeds.

The cooling fins have white salt corrosion on them.

Oh yeah, it didn't sell so its still available if anyone wants it. Reduced to $25. (Cdn so that makes it even better) Oh yeah, don't forget the box of bonus spare parts with the iron oxide preservative, included in this incredible offer. They might be from a similar engine. The crank bearing has nice wear in marks on it, so you won't have to go through a break-in procedure if you use it.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Termy

Re: 1971 Craftsman Snowblower
Reply #1   May 8, 2005 10:19 pm
It would be hard to find people who would by something so old and basic. I would be one of the people who would not buy it. The engine itself looks like its running on its last leg. But if you do sell it, consider yourself lucky and the costomer desperate!

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #2   May 8, 2005 10:35 pm
Termy,

I'm surprised he would try and sell it, since its pretty long in the tooth, and quite rusty. No safety features on that machine. Just flash her off and go. He used it until this past winter.

You know, he should put it on eBay as a classic snowblower. There are people on there who will buy anything. 

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   May 8, 2005 10:37 pm
Highwind wrote:
Termy,

I'm surprised he would try and sell it, since its pretty long in the tooth, and quite rusty. No safety features on that machine. Just flash her off and go. He used it until this past winter.

You know, he should put it on eBay as a classic snowblower. There are people on there who will buy anything. 

That's true!
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #4   May 8, 2005 10:46 pm
Boy if I had the time and talent I would love to retore that old beast.  Man it would be a sweet novelty.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   May 8, 2005 11:12 pm
I like the way the augers are set up.  I would have it restored just for that reason.  Gotta love the chain too. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

spottedpony

Reply #6   May 8, 2005 11:46 pm
kinda reminds me of a 49 ford, solid as a rock. i doubt if theres a new machine built now that has the quality construction some of the oldtimers had. as for lack of safety equipment,  some of its overkill,   theres no substitute for common sense & learning proper operation of a piece of equipment.
Garandman

Reply #7   May 9, 2005 6:25 am
People are starting to collect snowblowers, although I don't think Craftsman is popular for that activity. Interesting design. By contrast, the 1970 Ariens I'm refurbishing isn't a lot different from the newer models. The primary difference in function is that later Ariens units have two drive belts to engage the auger and drive independently. 
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42