Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > i need a string trimmer...............

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
skyking3

i need a string trimmer...............
Original Message   May 2, 2005 6:37 am
i need to replace a ryobi string trimmer that no longer starts...........

would like to buy something i could use a brush cutter blade on 'bout once a month...............

i have a Stihl dealer 'bout 1/2 mile away , probably going to shop there over the week-end...................

any advise on size engine, 2 cycle or 4 ,  or anybody have a model that they use in tough conditions ?.....................

it would be used for trimming primarily , but needs to cut brush 'bout an inch thick .............

TIA,

bill

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Re: i need a string trimmer...............
Reply #4   May 3, 2005 2:35 am
Grab a hearty power planted "split boom".  That way ya have possablities to get other stuff to later on.  I have the Echo PAS 260, it came withe the big weed wacker w/ handle, then grabbed the hedge attachment so ya sculpt your evergreens like Disney World.  They have alot of good quality attachments available.  Alamia has good prices on them. 
skyking3

Reply #5   May 3, 2005 7:48 am
i only have to use it for trimming grass.................about 1-1/4 acre.............

my problem is that the neighbor planted wild sticker bushes right on the property line........................

said he wanted every inch of his ground.................

i lost 12 feet by 220 feet of property because of this.................

so i tackled it with a machete and my blazer and reclaimed it...................

'bout once a month i want to trim these to keep from losing land again...................

i will look at both echo and stihl but lean more to the stihl because of how close they are..................

the handle bars do look awkward tho................'specially if the wife wants to trim................

thanks for the replies , i'll post back with what i buy....

bill

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #6   May 3, 2005 8:32 am
I'm in the same boat as Skyking. My Ryobi began making some strange noises this past weekend and may be seized. I have it in a shop for an estimate. Anyone have experience with Toro? I need a medium duty machine and hope not to pay more than $200.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Dantheman

Reply #7   May 3, 2005 8:55 am
When I went to home depot looking at trimmers a couple of weeks ago...the toro box said that the quick attachments of the ryobi are compatable. That tells me ryobi must have their hand in the mix with the toro trimmers.

Dan

robmints

Reply #8   May 3, 2005 10:37 am
I have a Stihl FS85. The 110 is the replacement. It has intake valves. Can't speak for it. Some like them.

They come with a loop handle and a little bar to keep it from kicking back. Never put my little bar on.

You can buy them set up as a brush cutter.

Then add a chinese handcuff type trimmer head (I like better than auto-feed)

They have attachments that can be changed on and off in about a minute or so. You do need an allen wrench. The machine and the attachments ar less expensive than the other quick attach stuff from Echo or Stihl.

You might want to ask about the new engines from Stihl and other hybrid engines. Lint and Ben07 had some opinions but I can't remember what they were.

robmints

Reply #9   May 3, 2005 11:33 am
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/9251-0-1.html

It was Snowshoveller that had some concerns about the new Hybrids.

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #10   May 3, 2005 1:25 pm
The thing with the bicycle handles - you have to dance with the machine.  Sounds crazy and a lot of people have trouble with this.  But if you can learn to 'dance' with the machine - it's the simplest thing and the most comfortable to use.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #11   May 3, 2005 1:54 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
The thing with the bicycle handles - you have to dance with the machine.  Sounds crazy and a lot of people have trouble with this.  But if you can learn to 'dance' with the machine - it's the simplest thing and the most comfortable to use.

Sherri

It's all in the waist. 
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #12   May 3, 2005 10:40 pm
May i cut in?
Termy

Reply #13   May 4, 2005 4:23 pm
Dancing with a machine? Hmmm, let me think about this? Ah, I think I would look like a complete idiot if I was dancing with a machine LOL

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42