Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Frame construction

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Frame construction
Original Message   Apr 25, 2005 9:55 am
Hi Guys!

When the frame on a riding mower is described as "drawn steel", exactly what does that mean? Is it a "quality" method of manufacturing the frame?

Thanks,

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Frame construction
Reply #7   Apr 25, 2005 11:42 pm
If you take a steel bolt for example, the sheer strength of the bolt anchored in concrete for example, is the force at which it would be sheared or broken in half from weight. The Tensile strength would be at what force in weight that same bolt anchored in concrete would be pulled strait out or become broken by the same type of force.

For example, if I had a steel bolt in a ceiling pointing strait down and applied enough force pulling downward on it, that would test it's tensile strength or "Ultimate Elongation" (stretching).  If I pulled sideways or horizontally on it, that would test it's shear strength, (pulling apart sideways). The same applies to steel in form of a bar, strip, channel, etc.

I have seen steel tested for these two strengths, and a third strength too. The machines they use are pretty cool. You would be amazed at the sound steel makes when it is pulled from both ends, stretches and snaps. Pretty loud!

Yield is more of a measurement of the amount of stress to produce an offset. For steel an offset is usually .02% change of it's original form. That's a very simplistic answer, it can get about as technical as a person desires. You can get into elasticity and all I have no desire for that, LOL.

As to which is better for a mower frame, who knows? There's so much more that goes into steel than just these few things. I strongly imagine very good as well as very poor frames could made of both.
robmints

Reply #8   Apr 26, 2005 7:13 am
Do I have yeild and tensile backwards?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Apr 26, 2005 8:53 am
Yep.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42