Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Hard Starting Toro GTS450 mower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Hard Starting Toro GTS450 mower
Original Message   Apr 25, 2005 7:35 pm
My 10 1/2 yr old mower has been getting progressively harder to start the last couple of years. To remedy this I have to squirt some instant start type freon product into the carb and then  it starts immediately.  Finally this past winter I had the shop replace the carb. It is still taking 8-10 pulls to start. That is after replacing the carb, plug, and air filter. Of course the fuel is fresh as well. Am I expecting too much from a 10 year old mower or is there something else I am neglecting to replace/adjust, etc?

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Termy

Re: Hard Starting Toro GTS450 mower
Reply #5   Apr 26, 2005 12:46 pm
That is the reason I do my own engine repiar. I don't trust these dealers. They do everything half asked, they put a carb on and than thats it, the mower is waiting for you now. They are clerly supposed to be pro's. When I work on my own OPE, I know what I am doing with it and I know what I am fixing. When a piece of your equipment is in the hands of somebody else, you don't know what they are doing to it.

buttlint

Reply #6   Apr 26, 2005 1:35 pm
Ouch!
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #7   Apr 26, 2005 1:37 pm
Termy, I think there a lot of fine people that do small engine work and are quite capable and honest. Don't you agree?
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #8   Apr 26, 2005 1:59 pm
Termy you must have had a bad experiece along the way.  Not all dealers are jacka$$es.  Like we have a tractor here now.  The customer was called 7 years ago and notified of a recall on some engines that were in his type of tractor.  He said then that he had no problems and - SURPRISE - he's now on our back for warranty.  7 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

So what do we do?  We call our distributor and sure enough the part is shipped to us N/C.  The guy is still hounding us and saying that we're at fault.  He's been modifying the tractor on his own, but we still went back to see if we could get warranty for this problem.  A lot of other dealers in this area would have laughed this guy out of their shops, but we went the extra distance.

So please Termy, don't lump us all under the same umbrella.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
jubol

Reply #9   Apr 26, 2005 2:09 pm

My OPE dealer is Greatttttttttttttttttt, ! ! !

Reasonable prices and super service!!

Been doing business with him for over 30 years!!

That is who I bought my 9 HP, OHV Husky snowblower from for a Grand!!!

There are always a few bad apples, but very few!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Emmo

Reply #10   Apr 26, 2005 2:41 pm
Count your blessings Fred!

I wouldn't give you .02 for most of the ones I've dealt with around here.

Out of the last 5-6 times that I needed service, only once did I not have to make a return trip. 
Thanks to the guys here(lint, shoveler, et al.) unless something is under warranty, I'll trust the brain-trust here and my mediocre mechanical skills first.

Dealer sales depts. are mostly in the same boat around here, but that's a horse I've already beaten to death.

Thanks again to all of the guys that help the novices like me out, I appreciate it.
buttlint

Reply #11   Apr 26, 2005 3:01 pm
Guys,
I am sure that Termy wasnt going for a "dealer slam"
He simply expressed what a lot of people believe about dealers and mechanics in general.
Termy may have drawn a conclusion about what I had suggested. ie. that a mechanic replaced a carb that didnt need replacing.
Just let me remind everyone that we are not at that point in finding Smitty problem (Cold start) where we should start making assumptions, or tossing out WAG,s.
We are just looking for clues about what is causing the problem. For all we know...the carb may very well have needed replacement.
Thats not really the issue right now. Right now we need a set of eyes and all the information we can get about the machine. (It is 600 miles away from all of us.)
Having engine model, type and code helps. With Toro, having the model and serial helps.
Alot can happen on the way home from the dealer.....cables get kinked, oil spills on filters, etc. Things that the mechanic has no control over.
We are no where close too the point of "Whose fault is it."
It could just be an act of God.
So Termy....Hang in there buddy.....We are all doing the best we can.
Termy

Reply #12   Apr 26, 2005 4:20 pm
Just so everyone knows this... When I made that statement, I did not mean all dealers! I have known some good honest people Marshall but I have ran into some bad ones too. I had went to three different dealers who were not honest and did a crappy job that I had to fix myself. Now sence I already have the skills to work on my OPe, I am just going to do the work myself. I have known good dealers to such as, The place where I am going to buy my new mower is a nice dealer/service center! The guys there treated me with respect and actually let me start the mowers and try them out. I was impressed with his wide knowledge about the mowers they sell. I have been to those other dealers where they hardly know anything about the product there selling.

Don't make snap judgments about a statement I make cause it just ends up making you look like a a**hole.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #13   Apr 26, 2005 8:56 pm
Termy, please watch the noun suggestions.
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #14   Apr 26, 2005 9:15 pm
No primer to malfunction guys. I will get all the numbers off the B&S engine for you tomorrow.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42