Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Smoke after deck cleaning

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Smoke after deck cleaning
Original Message   Apr 24, 2005 8:06 am
Hi Guys-

I have a Kawi OHV powered walk behind 21" mower. I use the mower exclusively in the mulching mode and therefore  like to clean the underside of the deck every two or three weeks. I put a floor mat on the ground and  flip the mower up on it's nose with the handles leaning on a saw horse. My issue is the smoking of the engine through the exhaust the next time I start it up. Obviously oil is getting into the combustion chamber due to the head down position the mower is in when I clean the deck. The plug does not foul and the smoke clears after a few minutes. Am I doing any damage?

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Re: Smoke after deck cleaning
Reply #1   Apr 24, 2005 9:03 am
Do you start it up right after cleaning it? Or is this the next time you go to mower with it?

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #2   Apr 24, 2005 1:10 pm
Hi...

Damage... I dunno'...

Maybe set the mower on two sawhorses so it's level... rig it so it won't roll off !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

robmints

Reply #3   Apr 24, 2005 2:06 pm
I think lint or snowshoveller said one time if you are going to flip an engine out of it's normal operating position, tilt it so the spark plug faces up.

Damage. The worst thing I can think of is if the engine "hydraulics". In other words oil won't compress like air will. If you pull start the engine, it might not happen. A starter is more likely. However, if the engine starts, then sucks a big snot ball of oil into the combustion chamber, the oil will not compress and, the most likely thing to give many times, is the rod will bend.

You might want to wait for some real advise, rather than mine though.

Spark plug up is all I remember.
jubol

Reply #4   Apr 24, 2005 2:12 pm

That action is called  "Liquid Lock"

On the Recip's in the Air Force, 

we always turned the prop 15 blades in order to get rid

of any liquid ( gas or Oil )

that may have leaked into any of the cylinders!!

On OPE, If you suspect that you might have oil or gas

in the cylinders, pull the plug and pull it through a few

times to clear it out!      

Fred     

This message was modified Apr 24, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Majorxlr8n

Reply #5   Apr 25, 2005 12:08 am
Marc - It looks like Fred covered it pretty well. Spark plug removal & a spinning over of the engine will clear out any oil in the cylinder. Next time be sure to either tilt the mower with the cylinder head facing upwards or tilt it sideways so that the carb is facing upward. You should be ok...

Marty

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #6   Apr 25, 2005 7:56 am
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the advice. Engine does not hydro-lock as I pull it through slowly a few times before starting it again. If I felt resistance I would pull the plug. Probably not going to use the "saw horse techhnique" any more because I don't want to tempt fate!! Man I hate cleaning the underside of the deck.

Marc

This message was modified Apr 25, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42