Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Any Spark Plug Preferences?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
itzbinnice

Any Spark Plug Preferences?
Original Message   Apr 23, 2005 6:50 pm
Recently I went to  one of the local Toro dealers and asked for a plug for my Toro mower. For some subconscious reason I never liked Champion plugs and preferred Autolite, or for some of my equipment NKG's. After requesting Autolite, the counterman said abruptly, we only sell Champions and never have problems. I didn't like his tone so I left without a purchase.

What are you opinions on quality of plugs by brand names?

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
itzbinnice

Re: Any Spark Plug Preferences?
Reply #2   Apr 23, 2005 8:04 pm
Marshall wrote:
I prefer Autolite as well. NGK is probably the one I like least.

I use the NKG's in my Echo backpack blower cause that's what it called for. Maybe I'll change if I find a suitable replacement. I'd be interested to see if there would be any increase in performance.
Garandman

Reply #3   Apr 23, 2005 8:22 pm
I used to race cars and would get misfiring after a few laps. I always used Champions because they supported racing but then tried Bosch. Same Story. Then I tried NGK's and the problem went away. I use them whenever I can get them for critical applications like an outboard (small boat, big ocean...) or race car.....

I wouldn;t think it makes a huge difference in most  OPE engines.
buttlint

Reply #4   Apr 23, 2005 8:48 pm
They all taste the same too me.
"Bad" spark plugs are the least common failure in opeland.
(Dino oil is the most common cause of engine failure.)
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #5   Apr 24, 2005 6:27 am
I use Champions here.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   Apr 25, 2005 2:18 am
Will - I get whatever is available, which is usually Champion. Go to an auto parts store (Napa is a decent source for OPE parts & spark plugs) as they usually have other brands, even for OPE!

Marty

skyking3

Reply #7   Apr 25, 2005 6:09 am
usually i get what the salesman puts on the counter.....................

no problems yet ...........................

autolite for the racecar tho..................

bill

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #8   Apr 25, 2005 10:52 am
Folks--Down in my part of the country nearly every source pushes  Champion so it is the one I use.  Can,t complain about their performance---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Termy

Reply #9   Apr 25, 2005 1:53 pm
Most domestic flat-head engines take Champion RJ19LM, and most domestic overhead valve engines take Champion RC12YC plugs.

spottedpony

Reply #10   Apr 25, 2005 3:03 pm
anything but champions......as far as automotive i usually match brand for mfgr.....(autolite for ford, ac/delco for gm) for bikes or power equipment, ive had the best luck with ngk....& when possible i run the ngk R (racing) series plugs. years ago champion had some problems galling threads in aluminum heads, so ive never used them since then. maybe old habits are hard to break, but ive never had a problem with other brands in the same applications.
itzbinnice

Reply #11   Apr 25, 2005 4:45 pm
Well it appears the general consensus is that when it comes to OPE, the brand is not as critical as with automobiles.

Old habits are hard to break for me, I'll avoid Champion whenever possible, in my mind biggest is not always best, spend more on marketing to brainwash folks into believing their product is best.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42