Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replacing a Vanguard V-twin

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Replacing a Vanguard V-twin
Original Message   Apr 19, 2005 2:30 pm
     Hi Gang. I've been waffling on putting a replacement engine on a 1991 Simplicity 12.5 LTH that I bought last summer with a blown motor.(Hole through the side of the block. The owner sheepishly told me he never checked his oil, but would now.) LOL.   Well I finally decided to to go ahead with it. This was originally to be a parts mower for my 12.5 LTH. Over the weekend I was cutting my lawn and when I finished I went over the my elderly neighbors yard and cut her lawn just to clean up up from the fall. She has a lawn service that takes care of it, but over the last few years, the quality of their work has gone down hill. I used to be envious of how nice her yard looked compared to mine, and now it's reversed. She wishes hers was as nice as mine. The next day she was out in her yard and my wife and I went over to shoot the breeze. She thanked me for cutting the lawn and remarked on how nice it looked. Then she said, she need a caretaker for the property and someone she can trust and that if I wanted to do it, the job was mine. She said she would pay what she paid the service, but I said no, just take care of gas money and any materials I may use on the lawn. Anyway we worked out a deal and now I have approximately another 11/2 to 2 acres to mow.  Hard to tell since I will be cutting paths through some fields and some wooded areas.Shes always been a great nieghbor, so what the heck. And now I have a good excuse to add some more OPE and not get the "Look" from the wife.  LOL 
     Anyway I want to replace the engine on the other Simplicity to have a back up LT. I want to replace the 12.5 Vanguard V-twin with a 16 hp Vanguard V-twin. I have one pretty much ready lined up online. I just want to make sure that it is a direct replacement for my engine and that no mods will have to be made. So far I've basically been told to measure the shaft and mounting holes but there are other variables within the type code. I called Briggs about 3 hrs. ago and a tech said no problem, then that it was problem, because that part of their computer program was not functioning at the time. He took my name and number and said he would call me back.   ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
     I guess what I would like to know, is there any site or would anybody know where I could find out if these engines are interchangeable.  I finished taking the old one out yesterday. Shouldn't be to hard with a matched replacement to install the  new one                                
                                     OLD---12.5 HP  Vanguard V-twin  Model 290777 Type 0410

NEW--16 HP  Vanguard V-twin     Model 303777  Type 1165
Any help is much appreciated, in the mean time I'll call "Bruce" at Briggs and see if the computers running at full tilt again.
                                                                                                  Thanks,   Kevin

PS. I edited the type on the 12.5 HP. I was using the type# from my LT that runs.

This message was modified Apr 19, 2005 by Vangellis

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Replacing a Vanguard V-twin
Reply #3   Apr 21, 2005 11:53 am
My vote..........

Vangellis

Reply #4   Apr 21, 2005 12:04 pm
LOL. Yeah, mine too. Only problem is there are 2 votes in this house and the other one comes from the finance minister.

Simplicity Conquest
Marshall

Reply #5   Apr 21, 2005 12:27 pm
Vangellis wrote:
LOL. Yeah, mine too. Only problem is there are 2 votes in this house and the other one comes from the finance minister.

Yep, I understand that! Nice to dream though. LOL That Legacy XL in 4X4 would be great tractor to have.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #6   Apr 21, 2005 4:55 pm
hey Marshall...and anyone else in the know.

we are a simplicity dealer sort of (cause we sell the snapper).

and we always have folks looking for a 4x4 tractor with the possibility of a loader.

as they come with a deisel option,im curious if this tractor is comparable to a small kubota.

are they built as well as the kubota ,the price is a bit better on the simplicity and that quick attach loader is a must have .

thanks for any info..

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Apr 21, 2005 7:18 pm
ss...

I doubt a Simplicity with 4 WD and loader is built as well as a similar Kubota... but I dunno' for sure... or price...

Reason... Simplicity makes mostly lawn/garden tractors... so it's stretching into a heavy-duty application for them...

Kubota makes big to small heavy equipment... industrial/commercial/home-owner... so they constrain designs to get to this arena of machine...

Really have to check 'em both out and price them...

Regardless... every machine has a price-point and customer...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Marshall

Reply #8   Apr 21, 2005 11:38 pm
Good question, I would have to shop them both to answer confidently. I will offer this though, I think the Simplicity would be up to about anything that that machine is designed to handle, whatever that is?

Pretty impressive.............

I addition to it's steel channel frame and large 26"X12"X12" rear tires it has the following:

• Choose from three powerful 27-hp engines
  • Automatic Controlled Traction™
  • Differential lock
  • Internal "wet" disc brakes
  • Internal hydraulic PTO for all mowers, front- and rear-attachments.
  • Shift between 2- and 4-wheel drive on-the-go. (4-WD models only)
  • External transmission oil cooler and cooling fan
  • Large 1-5/32-inch rear axles handle up to 1800 lbs of axle weight.
  • 4-way joystick attachment control
  • Two-spool hydraulic system with quick connects standard for easy attachment operation
  • Control attachment lift function between front or rear attachments with solenoid driverter valve system

Is it in the same league as a Bota BX? I imagine so but, as Dave said, Kubota has been in that kind of business for a long time and has a track record.

One thing to consider however. The Legacy may have more Massey or AGCO/Massey influence than we know? That design along with the FEL and backhoe had to come from somewhere.

Check it out.  Massey Ferguson 2310
This message was modified Apr 22, 2005 by Marshall
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #9   Apr 22, 2005 2:13 pm
Vangellis,

Have you checked out   http://smallenginewarehouse.com/repower.asp   for a repower kit from them? They have been putting together several kits to repower our oldie but goodie machines and may have something that drops in.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Vangellis

Reply #10   Apr 22, 2005 3:22 pm
Hi Joe. Thanks for the reply. I've checked the small engine warehouse, but never saw the repower section. My model LT wasn't listed, but you can e-mail them to check on a certain model. I have been in touch with Engines4less.com and I'm just waiting for a call from Briggs and Stratton. I got in touch with the original tech that said the type 1165 would be no problem. When I told him that 2 other techs there said it was not the direct replacement, he said he was going to check with someone else and that he would get back to me today. He was very helpful and seemed willing to go the extra step. We'll see what happens. Small engine warehouse and Engines4less are close on the price. Also, it actually seems as though my wife is accepting the idea that I may just go buy another tractor. LOL  Depends on what the final cost of the engine will be.
                                                                                                          Thanks again,    Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Marshall

Reply #11   Apr 22, 2005 3:51 pm
Give us a price range kevin, we can all shop vicariously through you that way and help you find a tractor, we like that.  
Vangellis

Reply #12   Apr 22, 2005 4:47 pm
     OK. $2000 to $3000. I'm basically a Simplicity fan. My last 2 have been bought used though. Conquest is a budget buster. Broadmoor is over the cap, but could be forced on me with incentives.  LOL. I like the look of the Husqvqarna XP series with the Kawasaki engines that Chris has said good things about. Are these engines proven for durability though, as the Briggs Vanguard V-twin? What do I know. Only thing is that I would like a foot controlled Hydro tranny.The Huskys don't have this. Not sure if I would like a fender mount shift lever. My current Simp has the shift lever on the dash. Convienent. I have a tendency to change speeds a lot.
     I would most likely go to a dealer as I believe in supporting the local guy. I had posted a few weeks back about finding a new OPE dealer in my area that seemed well stocked and friendly. He sells Simplicity and Husqvarna. Another Simplicity dealer and John Deere dealer are about 8 miles away. Deere dealership doesn't deal though. Take it or leave it. Nice tractors, but not sure if I'm a green and yellow guy. More red/orange. I like the Simplcity cutting system and the roller decks. Did I mention Simplicity? Well, there you have it. I would still keep the older tractor as a back up and the parts tractor for, well, parts.  OK, go ahead. Do your best to confuse me and have a nice weekend,

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42