Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Personal Pace Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Toro Personal Pace Question
Original Message   Apr 18, 2005 10:43 pm
Hello All:

Well, I am about to bring the old toro out for the summer as winter has now left us for good (We have had snow in July however).  My question is this...I have a Toro PP lawnmower  model #20042, and just love it, well almost.  Since new, I have had a problem being able to get a total release of the "drive" when I pull the mower backwards.  The owners manual says that when it is hard to pull, just move it forward a couple of inches and then back,  Well, that sometimes works but will again "lock up" the back wheels.  I have just put up with this condition for 4 years but am now tired of it.  Last fall I cleaned out the belt area etc...also to check how this thing works .  I have checked the adjustment and think that it is right on the mark, but I am not sure.  I don't understand how any type of cable adjustment would change the back up problem...would only change the forward operation.  It appears that the belt will pull in on the back up and slow things down in the pulley.  My neighbors machine does not suffer from this condition.

Any Toro mechanics out there that have any suggestions?

bbwb 

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Re: Toro Personal Pace Question
Reply #3   Apr 19, 2005 9:56 pm
Thanks both for the reply.  It seemed that the problem was not as bad earlier....more of a irritation.  Last summer it seem to be more problematic.  I have kept the zerks greased, part of my maintenance program.  I will however take another look at the workings.  I will report back.  Worst case, I will bring it to the dealer for a look/see.

Thanks again

bbwb

jake14mw

Reply #4   Apr 22, 2005 3:13 pm
I got my Super Recycler in the beginning of last year, and man do I love this mower.  So easy to use!  I started having the same problem with my Super Recycler and the end of last year though.  I asked my dealer about it, and he said "I bet you have been following my advice and rinsing under the deck after each use huh?  I said yes, and he told me that me rinsing was probably getting rid of the grease in something in the wheel drive.  I don't remember what he said now.  Buttlint, are these pivot arms labeled in the manual?  I took a quick look under the deck but I don't know anything about anything with mowers. Where are they located?
This message was modified Apr 22, 2005 by jake14mw
buttlint

Reply #5   Apr 22, 2005 6:03 pm
Jake.
I hope this picture isnt too large. The pivot arm is located at the rear wheels....right next too the height adjusters.
The yellow circle shows the fitting that will except grease. If you dont already have a grease gun, most dealers sell them and the grease cartridges.
(I know Briggs sells them...but any type of grease gun will work just fine.)
Three squeezes, a couple of times a season is usually plenty.
It not only helps lubricating, but it flushes out any crap that may accumilate in that area. (Water, dirt, etc.) HTH.

itzbinnice

Reply #6   Apr 23, 2005 10:56 am

Hey Lint

Nice tires on that machine, look like slicks. Can it do wheelies?

buttlint

Reply #7   Apr 23, 2005 12:07 pm
Hey Itsbin...
That's what happens when folks dont grease those fittings.....or dont adjust the cable...or kink the drive cables when they fold the handles.
And for what those wheels cost....I can buy a set of tires for my Saturn.
Emmo

Reply #8   Apr 23, 2005 12:26 pm
Thats what the wheels on my Toro look like. I looked into replacing them and lint is right $$$$$.

I figure as long as they're still round, they'll still roll and that is whats important.

Then again, my Toro is celebrating its 19th birthday in July.
Termy

Reply #9   Apr 23, 2005 2:10 pm
I went to my local Bellingham Mower Equipment dealer yesterday and looked at first hand of these Toro's. I did not look at the recyclers as I don't care about that line. I looked at the super recyclers. This is what I thought of them. I was very imprest with its design and durability. The quality did seem there to me. I like how these Toro's have Zerks so that I can greese them for longer life! I like the deck system. It really does look like it was designed for hi vac as the add states. I started the mower on the first pull without any effort after pushing the priming 3 times. I tried out the Personal Pace system and its just like the one on the recyclers. There was only one thing that I did not like about this mower is that the engine did not have a throttle. But, I really don't care about this as there really is no reason to idle it down if you don't have a blade break system that keeps the engine going after releasing the handle lol.

If anyone wants and or is thinking about buying a Toro Super Recycler this year, I have tested the mower out at the dealer, trust me, go ahead and by it. From what I am seing, I don't think your going to have problems with it!

itzbinnice

Reply #10   Apr 23, 2005 6:33 pm
buttlint wrote:
Hey Itsbin...
That's what happens when folks dont grease those fittings.....or dont adjust the cable...or kink the drive cables when they fold the handles.
And for what those wheels cost....I can buy a set of tires for my Saturn.

Lint,

You're scaring me with the prices, maybe when mine go I'll be lookin for some retreads. I always keep her greased real well (the mower of course).

Terminator,

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase, I sure am with mine. I always like OPE engines that have a primer bulb, seems like those always start for me on the first pull, my old bones need the least resistance possible.

jake14mw

Reply #11   May 1, 2005 7:42 am
lint,

Sorry, I have been away for a while.  Thanks for posting that perfect picture!  I bought a grease gun, and know exactly where to go now!  Thanks

Termy

Reply #12   May 1, 2005 3:23 pm
If you do not have a zerk grease gun you can get them at any automotive parts store. You should also be able to get the lithioum grease there too.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42