Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > quality of Troy-Bilt lawnmower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

quality of Troy-Bilt lawnmower?
Original Message   Apr 18, 2005 9:47 pm
got a (1994?) troy-built mower self propelled. other than bad speed control..very nice.  paid $10.   is this mower worth investing in a new control? heard that part is very expensive.  just curious    thanks    Gene
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: quality of Troy-Bilt lawnmower?
Reply #1   Apr 18, 2005 10:22 pm
94 may be before MTD bought them. Got a pic of the mower? How expensive did you hear?
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #2   Apr 19, 2005 6:35 am
If it's anything like my father's 93 front drive, forget it.  The design of the drive mechanism puts power to the front wheels via a metal-toothed drive gear to an internal plastic ring gear on the wheels.  There is a plastic cover "protecting" the plastic gear  on the wheels.  All it really does is let the dirt and grass in and not let it back out again. 

The plastic wears alot, the steel wears too.   I was told the parts are NLA.  Even if they were, I wouldn't bother. 

I just removed the drive mechanism.  Unfortunately, you still need to keep the steel drive gears on the end of the shaft (they hold the wheel mounting brackets on).  I wound up removing what was left of the inner plastic teeth on the wheels. 

It's a push mower now.  This drive mechanism is like a Rube Goldberg machine-it may work on paper, but not for long in the real world.  Really poor design. 

My 2 cents.

Ralph

lland

Reply #3   Apr 19, 2005 10:31 am
Ralph,

Had the same "drive system" on an old Craftsman mower.  Another problem is that the metal gear is very strong and the plastic teeth on the inside of the wheel aren't.  Seems like every time I hit a fence post or tree with one of the drive wheels, a tooth or two either broke off or stripped.  Didn't take long before the drive didn't work.  The good news is that new wheels were not all that expansive and easy to change.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Geno

Reply #4   Apr 19, 2005 2:29 pm
thanks for the input guys- I have enough 'junk' around here..don't need more. I will look at the drive system and if it is like the 93 ( plastic ring gear on wheel) it is going to be on next trip to salvage yard.    thanks again      Gene.   p.s. the 5hp quatrum motor (BS) worth saving, or is it just a fancy name for a normal BS engine?
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #5   Apr 19, 2005 4:22 pm
As I mentioned, it is now a push mower.  The engine seems fine- starts easy, pretty quiet and smooth (compared to the 1988 Tec on my Snapper). 

My brother in law uses it on his flat lawn at his house.  He seems to like it. 

Ralph

itzbinnice

Reply #6   Apr 20, 2005 7:58 pm
Geno,

I had the Troy Bilt mower with front wheel drive before Troy was bought out. If memory serves me well I paid about 600.00 for it at Sears. Worst POS I ever owned, after 2 years began having difficulty with the drive mechanism, then the bag deteriorated so quickly I was having to sew it. Engine was good but the rest of the mower was certified crap. Couldn't cut a straight line, every little rut threw it off course. I fianlly donated it to the local lawnmower repair shop so he could use the engine and for parts. Save yourself the aggravation, don't invest any time or money in that machine.

Geno

Reply #7   Apr 21, 2005 2:52 pm
Thanks for the input gang..it is going to the scrap this week-end.  my hunch was just what I thought. JUNK.  I lost only $10..but a lesson learned.  have a great day             Gene
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #8   Apr 21, 2005 7:21 pm
Hi folks...

Neighbor bought a new Troybuilt self-propelled 21" walkbehind last spring...

First to third time using it... the drive system wasn't working well at all... He wasn't happy...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #9   Apr 21, 2005 8:58 pm
i serviced an older troybilt mower some years ago .it was rear wheel drive and was buily very very good.

i was impressed with its quality and the reason i remember it after all these years is because it had a D shaped handle that was used to adjust all the wheels height at once.and it set them infinate there was no notches or anything ,you just cranked it up or down simple.

had a real heavy tranny in it and 3 or 4 speeds,nice unit.

probably only made a few and never any parts for them now.

new troy stuff dosent interest me much now,im gonna miss those rear tine tillers.

later chris  

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42