Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Blew my battery?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
billski

Blew my battery?
Original Message   Apr 16, 2005 8:26 pm
I have a 3YO Snapper RER mower.  For the second year in a row, I left the battery connected and the ignition switch to "on" for the winter.  I need not tell you what happened.  Again.  Is there any hope of recharging the battery?  I manually started the engine and ran it for a half hour.  Just a "click" when I turn over the starter.  Last year when this happened, I took the battery dealer's advice and just got a new battery.  Is the battery toast?  I don't want to waste money on a battery charger if the charge won't hold.

By the end of leaf cleanup in the fall (end of November), it's quite cold and the last thing I want to do is futz around outside.  So, I run the engine till all the gas is gone and push it into the garage.  Fergets to switch it to off or remove the battery (don't go there.....)
You think I would know better.  I have an EE degree to boot.  Double-duh.  Such is life...

Thanks!
This message was modified Apr 16, 2005 by billski
Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Re: Blew my battery?
Reply #8   Apr 17, 2005 7:06 am
billski---I have the same thing happen to most all of my batteries.  (The are idle for about 6 months)   Usually, I can clean the battery cables and battery post and recharge and get another year or two.   Probably your rider has a magneto ignition system so leaving the key on probably had nothing to do with it discharging.  Like has been mentioned

you should get a couple or more years service from a batter.  I would  charge it and give it a try----Your friend--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
robmints

Reply #9   Apr 17, 2005 10:40 am
Highwind wrote:
Hi Billski,

I presume that your battery likely discharged slowly through the ignition circuitry, so I don't know that the battery cells would necessarily be low. It would not be good for the plates as they would sufate when exposed to air.  The deep discharge of the battery would also lead to sulfation products on the plates so it might not be able to hold a charge anymore.

Thanks Highwind,

I mis-spoke about the cells being dry.

The main thing I guess I would think about is if it froze and damaged the case.

Is the battery white? Can you see the liquid inside?

With a bright light, you might be able to see the liquid level and the lead level. As long as the lead is covered, you might be OK.
jubol

Reply #10   Apr 17, 2005 11:26 am

Forgot to mention. that I take my battery of my tractor and store it in my basement on a piece of wood.

I understand that If you store it on concrete it will slowly discharge.

I also have a very slow trickle charger on it over the winter that I run about every 2 weeks, in order to keep it fully charged!!

Hope this helps someone.

Fred        

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #11   Apr 17, 2005 12:30 pm
Billski,

I've had the same batter in my Snapper for 5 seasons now and have never had to charge it or add water. Granted, I do run it three or four times between fall and spring and our winters in OK are not very long. Point being, they're pretty good batteries evidently and if you run them every couple of months or charge them just a little bit, they last. I'm with you, for 20 bucks, start new and charge the old one, keep it for a backup or something else.
billski

Reply #12   Apr 17, 2005 12:43 pm
Thank you all.  The battery is completely black.  I can't see a thing.  I'm going to get a $30 charger at  Sears and give it a whirl.  Never thought that I'd have to charge it during the winter months.  If it still doesn't hold a charge, I guess I'll get a new $20 batt, since I can't figure out how to open the cells.
This way, I'll have a charger (never needed that before either) for next winter.
Thanks,
Bill
Termy

Reply #13   Apr 17, 2005 1:15 pm
Every engine that uses a battery for electric start, weather its a RV, car, lawn tractor, snowblower, ETC, the battery must be placed on a slow regulated trickle charge. This keeps the battery up to full charge during the winter months. Failure to do so, would result in a dead battery.

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #14   Apr 17, 2005 6:18 pm
Any battery left in storage will self discharge. One stored at high temperature will self discharge quicker than one stored in freezing temperatures. As Termy noted, you should give a stored battery a charge to keep it as near to full charge as possible.

Robmints made a very good point there. As your battery was fully discharged it could have been damaged by freezing. Even if the case didn't crack, the internal plates could have been damaged.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

billski

Reply #15   Apr 17, 2005 8:47 pm
Terminator20 wrote:
Every engine that uses a battery for electric start, weather its a RV, car, lawn tractor, snowblower, ETC, the battery must be placed on a slow regulated trickle charge. This keeps the battery up to full charge during the winter months. Failure to do so, would result in a dead battery.

Would you keep the charger on, 7x24 if you will, all winter, or only every now and then?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #16   Apr 17, 2005 9:01 pm
You have a PM.
billski

Reply #17   Apr 24, 2005 2:14 am
Thanks all.

Picked up a $30 slow-trickle automatic charger at Sears.  The battery seems to be holding it's charge, so I'm holding my breath that the patient will be ok.  The charger came with a "quick connect" plug which when fastened to the battery lugs allows for easy charger attachment.  Given this, is there any reason not to leave the battery attached to the mower during the winter months and simply hookup the charger now and then?
Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42