Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > grass or no grass ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

grass or no grass ?
Original Message   Apr 12, 2005 8:27 pm
hi guys...

this is kinda out there so if necessary remove it .

im in the process of cleaning up my property now that its spring here.

i have next to no landscaping as yet.

my driveway is pretty good but thats it,basically i have 4 acres of trees.lots of hardwood and softwood.

i have been removing as much of the dead and hard looking trees and thinning out the rest.

its starting to look kinda park like.

i have lend of a huge wood chipper that i have been putting all the brush and tops into.ill post pics of it in action later

i save the big stuff for firewood.

anyway i have been wondering that once i get done should i plant grass between the trees or just let it grow up into ferns and other woodsy stuff.i plan to try to average 10 or so feet between the trees,this will encourage them to grow tall and allow me room to work around them.

when i started you could hardley walk between them

i should mention that i dont like mowing lawns but i do have a good variety of riders and tractors at work i could use.

and i really hate pushing a mower. 

thanks for any input ...

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 18 - 27 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Re: grass or no grass ?
Reply #18   May 9, 2005 10:39 am
Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that he has the use of a chipper that will chip wood the size of telephone poles?  The chips aren't prime mulch material, but they do make the place smell nice.

They will be great for filling in holes and making walking trails.

Sherri

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #19   May 9, 2005 1:18 pm
Sherri

The land is gorgeous.  I like the rock borders.  Is he using all lannon stone or a variety of rock?   I would think because of the amount of shade, no matter what kind of grass you put in there, its going to look thin and scraggly.  I would think the shrubs and flowers (are you going to put in more of the wildflowers?) you put in would look so much nicer and more natural to the land.  Just my $.02 for what its worth. 

Are those pines Jack pines on the land?  We had a couple of Jack pine trees in the old house and I didn't realize how rare they were for our area until the WI Electric guy clued me in. 

What kinds of peppers do you plant?  I had hot banana peppers (hot Hungarian wax, I believe), sweet banana peppers, sweet bell peppers, serranos, jalapenos and finger chili (long, red chili peppers).  What kind of tomatos do you plant?  I had good luck with the Beefsteak and the Romano (though the romanos weren't as hardy). 

Paula

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #20   May 9, 2005 1:49 pm
Paula,

For the rock borders, he's using whatever rock he finds on the land.  There's a lot of slate and that splits easily so a big piece goes along way.  I plan to sprinkle wild flower seeds everywhere I can, I'm just waiting for the go ahead from Chris.  Not much sense to plant flowers if he's going to travel over it with the monster tractor.

I really haven't looked at what peppers he picked out.  All I know is that there are 30 of the plants sitting in the computer room in the window.  They are patiently waiting for fine weather to be moved outdoors.  By the sounds of the weather around here - they may be waiting for awhile yet.

As for the pine trees - they are white pines.  Chris says they are going to be dead pines when he gets the power saw to them.  He refers to them as paint peelers.  Me I like the pine, but am more fond of the oaks, maples and birches.  The leaves are not nice to rake up in the fall or anytime (they've never been rakes before) and there is at least an inch or more of heavy, soggy, rotten leaves that need to be moved.

Sherri

Paula

Reply #21   May 9, 2005 5:34 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
Paula,

For the rock borders, he's using whatever rock he finds on the land.  There's a lot of slate and that splits easily so a big piece goes along way.  I plan to sprinkle wild flower seeds everywhere I can, I'm just waiting for the go ahead from Chris.  Not much sense to plant flowers if he's going to travel over it with the monster tractor.

I really haven't looked at what peppers he picked out.  All I know is that there are 30 of the plants sitting in the computer room in the window.  They are patiently waiting for fine weather to be moved outdoors.  By the sounds of the weather around here - they may be waiting for awhile yet.

As for the pine trees - they are white pines.  Chris says they are going to be dead pines when he gets the power saw to them.  He refers to them as paint peelers.  Me I like the pine, but am more fond of the oaks, maples and birches.  The leaves are not nice to rake up in the fall or anytime (they've never been rakes before) and there is at least an inch or more of heavy, soggy, rotten leaves that need to be moved.

Sherri

Sherri

I think the slate looks nice for the color and makes it easy for stacking.   Will it hold up over time?  Would just hate to see him go to the effort of doing it and have it not last.  As kids we picked rocks and hauled in the wheelbarrow (sp?) to build a stone border around the front of the property.  My mom is still in the house and rock border is still there.  To me it really gives the place charm. 

For the tomatoes, I don't know if you do canning but it goes a lot quicker to freeze them...just throw them in ziplocks and then when you want to use them, run them under warm water and the skins peel right off.  

I like pines....I love the smell of them.  Its nice to have a variety of trees....looks pretty in the fall.  Those rotten leaves would make great compost if you get them piled up for your garden.  Just a thought.

Sounds like some fun projects ahead for you two .  Enjoy! 

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #22   May 9, 2005 5:48 pm
The first set of walls held up real well over this past winter.  He's using gravel in between the layers to aid in drainage.  Hopefully they hold up for a long time.

I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing with the tomatos.  I'm still trying to figure out what we'll do with all the peppers.

We have been filling in some holes here and there with the multitude of leaves, and then covering them over with soil.  The holes will come back over time, but for now let the leaves fertilize.

I'm so looking forward to the finished product.  I can't wait.  He says he's going to try to get the rock wall around the flower garden this week, so I can get it ready for the flowers.  I know I want snowball bushes, lilacs, and holly bushes.  But that will all come in time.  I have to stop looking in the seed catalogues.  Too many ideas.

Sherri

Paula

Reply #23   May 9, 2005 6:01 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
The first set of walls held up real well over this past winter.  He's using gravel in between the layers to aid in drainage.  Hopefully they hold up for a long time.

I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing with the tomatos.  I'm still trying to figure out what we'll do with all the peppers.

We have been filling in some holes here and there with the multitude of leaves, and then covering them over with soil.  The holes will come back over time, but for now let the leaves fertilize.

I'm so looking forward to the finished product.  I can't wait.  He says he's going to try to get the rock wall around the flower garden this week, so I can get it ready for the flowers.  I know I want snowball bushes, lilacs, and holly bushes.  But that will all come in time.  I have to stop looking in the seed catalogues.  Too many ideas.

Sherri

Sherri

You chose two of my favorites...lilacs and snowball bushes...they both smell wonderful and are so lush and pretty.  I've seen lilacs when I've been driving that are a really deep purple that I think are so gorgeous, especially if they are planted next to the white lilac bushes.  I don't know anything about the holly. 

I love looking in the seed and plant catalogs.....there are so many pretty bushes and flowers....and tasty looking veggies and fruit trees,...and, and...LOL

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #24   May 9, 2005 6:13 pm
Paula wrote:
I love looking in the seed and plant catalogs.....there are so many pretty bushes and flowers....and tasty looking veggies and fruit trees,...and, and...LOL

My problem exactly...

When I hit the back cover of the catalogue my list usually ranges in the $500 (Canadian) range.  Makes Chris cringe and walk away shaking his head.

Sherri

Paula

Reply #25   May 9, 2005 7:25 pm
Sherri

That $500 is a sound investment in the land (remind him of his toys when you are telilng him this...) and tell him that it could be much worse....like $500 in shoes, $500 in jewelry, $500 in clothes,  $500 in lingerie...(oh ..umm....never mind that one...he'd probably say yes to that )...but this is will only increase the value of the land...and how could he possibly argue with that....

Paula

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #26   May 9, 2005 8:13 pm
hey Paula...

i think you and Sherri should maybe do a bit of that lingerie shopping together...

maybe you could give her a few pointers in that department.

after all Highwind says all the time what a BABE you are and in my opinion Sherri is quite a treat to so see if yo can shop together.

just dont be shopping for any OPE together

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Paula

Reply #27   May 9, 2005 8:46 pm
Sherri

Will you kick his butt for me?!

Shoveler

Somehow I very much doubt Sherri needs any help in any department that she would need pointers from me...except maybe regarding some wall decorations....and I'd be happy to lend her a hand there....

Paula

P.S. Don't believe those babe rumors.....Highwind is pushing 90 at least I believe and has 200/400 vision. 

Replies: 18 - 27 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42