Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 25 yr old snapper. Mulch?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mang

25 yr old snapper. Mulch?
Original Message   Apr 7, 2005 2:56 pm
well I got the old snapper running yesterday, all it took was new oil, spark plug and air filter, and it started on the 3 pull,  this thing hasn't been run in years.

so that's good news,  my whole plan with this mower was to put on the ninja mulching kit, but the dealer told me that it won't mulch because it only has a 5 horse engine.

is this true?  I allready bought the mulching kit on ebay 15.00 bucks.  If this is true what can I do to make it work if anything?

Mang

Replies: 9 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Re: 25 yr old snapper. Mulch?
Reply #9   Apr 8, 2005 11:32 am
Mang wrote:
That's great, and is exactly what I was hoping to hear! 

This is a self propelled walk behind mower.  The engine was actually replaced about 10-15 years ago, it's a briggs, and runs like a champ.  I thought it would probably work if I don't cut down to much at a time and or take a smaller bite.  I would post pics, but you have all seen a million old mowers.

Also maybe richie could help me do somthing to get more power out of it.

I really wanted a new snapper hivac but instead I'll use this one, I went to the dealer and looked at them, and I realized mine is exactly the same! just older

If I wanted to strip it down and and paint it, does anyone know if that snapper red paint is available?  I also would need someone to point me in the right direction for information on how to sand and paint it etc, I think if I painted it and bought a few new plastic peices for it, it would look new, and make me happy.

Mang

5hp shouldn't be a prob mulching, i think the dealer was trying to bilk ya ;)  In terms of repainting, i would think hitting with a wire brush(a semi-fine one unless you need to strip rust) on your drill to strip, then multiple wet sands(200-400-800) then prime, then 800 or higher light wet sand then paint would do it.  Using sanding sponges might help if you can find them will around the curves and such on the deck.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Mang

Reply #10   Apr 8, 2005 3:41 pm
you might be right, that dealer was a huge dirt bag!  I knew I would never go back after seeing the place and speaking with him for just a few minutes.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #11   Apr 8, 2005 7:18 pm
we have brand new snappers with 5 horse briggs and they come with a ninja blade. should be no prob.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 9 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42