Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > synthetic grease ??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TheKneebiter

synthetic grease ??
Original Message   Apr 1, 2005 7:39 am
just wondering why synthetic grease is not recomended ? i read on the forum a few time's where some of you say do not use synthetic grease.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
robmints

Re: synthetic grease ??
Reply #1   Apr 1, 2005 10:33 am
Knee,

I'm at work. No time. Not good to mix grease of any type as a general rule. In addition, most synthetics I have seen are not compatible with other non- synthetic greases, like lithium. I love the synthetic lubes I use, including greases, I just don't mix them. 

I'll try to find some good info later. Sorry.

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #2   Apr 2, 2005 10:36 am
I stick with lithium base grease and have never had a problem.  No doubt some of the synthetics may be slightly better.   ---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
TheKneebiter

Reply #3   Apr 2, 2005 12:53 pm
thanks for the replys, the reason i am asking is that my grease gun ran out of grease when i was greasing my front end in my auto. so i ran into the garage and got a new tube put it in the gun and finished greasing the joints. then i greased up the snowblower. when i was done i was wiping the gun clean and noticed the grease was black so i read the tube it came out of. it was valvoline synthetic. i remembered reading on here not to mix and got a sick feeling in my gut. now i need to know why not to mix ?? did i screw up my front end parts ? is my snow blower going to have a problem ? any more info on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Apr 2, 2005 1:06 pm
TheKneebiter wrote:
thanks for the replys, the reason i am asking is that my grease gun ran out of grease when i was greasing my front end in my auto. so i ran into the garage and got a new tube put it in the gun and finished greasing the joints. then i greased up the snowblower. when i was done i was wiping the gun clean and noticed the grease was black so i read the tube it came out of. it was valvoline synthetic. i remembered reading on here not to mix and got a sick feeling in my gut. now i need to know why not to mix ?? did i screw up my front end parts ? is my snow blower going to have a problem ? any more info on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

What you can do is go back to your parts that you lubed and lube them until the new colored grease comes out. It'll be a little messy and may take a couple of more tubes of grease depending on how much they take. What you'll be doing is basically purging the non synthetic grease.
This message was modified Apr 2, 2005 by Marshall
robmints

Reply #5   Apr 2, 2005 4:21 pm
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/contact.asp

Marshall has a good idea, I think. You could always ask Valvoline to be sure.
robmints

Reply #6   Apr 2, 2005 8:10 pm

Grease Compatibility Chart

B = Borderline
   C = Compatible
    I = Incompatible

Al

C
o
m
p
l
e
x

Ba

C
o
m
p
l
e
x

Ca

S
t
e
a
r
a
t
e

Ca

H
y
d
r
o
x
y

Ca

C
o
m
p
l
e
x

Ca

S
u
l
f
o
n
a
t
e

C
l
a
y

N
o
n
s
o
a
p

Li

S
t
e
a
r
a
t
e

Li

H
y
d
r
o
x
y

Li

C
o
m
p
l
e
x

P
o
l
y
u
r
e
a

P
o
l
y
u
r
e
a

S

S

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

1. Aluminum Complex

X

I

I

C

I

B

I

I

I

C

I

C

2.  Barium Complex

I

X

I

C

I

C

I

I

I

I

I

B

3.  Calcium Stearate

I

I

X

C

I

C

C

C

B

C

I

C

4.  Calcium 12 Hydroxy

C

C

C

X

B

B

C

C

C

C

I

C

5.  Calcium Complex

I

I

I

B

X

I

I

I

I

C

C

C
6.  Calcium Sulfonate B C C B I

X

I B B C I C

7.  Clay Non-soap

I

I

C

C

I

I

X

I

I

I

I

B

8.  Lithium Stearate

I

I

C

C

I

B

I

X

C

C

I

C

9.  Lithium 12 Hydroxy

I

I

B

C

I

B

I

C

X

C

I

C

10. Lithium Complex

C

I

C

C

C

C

I

C

C

X

I

C

11. Polyurea Conventional

I

I

I

I

C

I

I

I

I

I

X

C
12. Polyurea Shear Stable C B C C C C B C C C C X

I kind of like Marshall's method though.

Excerpt  http://www.mindconnection.com/library/handyman/greasecompat.htm

TheKneebiter

Reply #7   Apr 4, 2005 9:01 am
this is the responce i received from valvoline   "  Thanks for your note.  The Synpower grease is compatible with conventional
lithium based greases "
i would still like to know what happens when you mix 2 incompatible greases ? does it turn hard ? or does it just not lube like it should ? or ?? Thanks for the info.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42