Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Riding mower help...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Riding mower help...
Original Message   Mar 30, 2005 7:06 pm
Hey guys, My best friends wife called me today, and she wants to get my buddy a used riding mower for his B-day in May. They have about a 1/4 of an acre, nice brand new house with St. Augustine grass. She pretty much just dumped the whole plan in my lap! The first   mower that poped in my head was a RER Snapper. I told her that my opinion you cant get a better cut and quality for a yard that small than you could with one of them. I also thought about a rer Toro, I not to up to date with the Toros though.  She only wants to pay around 500 maybe a 600.00.  Do you guys think I could get him a nice mower for that?  I only got a month and of course I want to get them the best for the money.   Thanks MIke                                            ( He told her if he ever got a rider he wanted Rear engine)

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: Riding mower help...
Reply #1   Mar 30, 2005 8:26 pm
Yup, I think $5-600 should do you well for a used RER like the ones you mentioned in good shape too.

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Mar 30, 2005 9:04 pm
That'll probably get him a 28" version, maybe up to 33", but it just depends on the model year and how used it is.

Ariens made a nice RER as well, if you run into one of them don't shy away.

I have a hard time not recommending a Snapper, or even a Ariens RER when looking at used ones. The drive system is the biggest reason, that and the way they're made. They are hard to screw up and cheap to fix. A 7 dollar disc is a lot cheaper than the Toro or some other RER's drives, if needed to be replaced.

Or, he could luck out like Marty and get a "like new in box" Toro for 10 bucks, he would be sh*tting in tall cotton then.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Apr 1, 2005 11:42 am
A used Snapper or Toro RER would be a fine choice! They are reliable machines that cut/vacuum very well & parts are obtainable. I would think that one of these should be easilly found, and for a good price (not $10)

Marty

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #4   Apr 1, 2005 3:06 pm
Marshall--You brought up a point about the Snapper drive system.  The heart of it is the drive disc on the  Vertical engine crankshaft and the driven rubber tired disc on the primary gear case.  The drive disc will usually wear the engine out (seldom you have to change) and the driven disc will usually go several seasons. Also it just has the one belt, easy to change and usually will last for years on an average yard.  When I sold mowers I loved to sell a Snapper Rear end rider because of their dependability.   Frequency of repair is probably rated at the top of the lawn mowers.   Dependability is probably at the top, so if you serviced your engine properly you have years of service.I don,t own any now,-----last year I fixed like my last one and gave it to my Son.   He loves---told me yesterday he charged the battery, check oil, etc. and it cranked like a dream.  Engine is probably 30 years old.(it had been sleeved and overhauled once.----My Murray built and 2 MTD,s are good mowers and I love them but they are not so easy to service..  Cutting orchards (4 acres) they are fast and excellent, but to change belts on a couple of them I have to go to my service manual. Wish every one the best, May God bless you and keep you now and always---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
max427

Reply #5   Apr 2, 2005 2:48 pm
This message was modified Apr 19, 2005 by max427
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42