Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Engine Operation

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Engine Operation
Original Message   Mar 25, 2005 7:21 am
Here's some more questions to get the brain working...

1.     The _________ of an engine is the linear distancethat a piston travels in the cylinder bore from top dead center(TDC) to bottom dead center(BDC).

2.     A _________ is the filler material placed between the cylinder block and cylinder head to seal the combustion chamber.

3.     An ________ engine is an engine that has valves and related components located in the cylinder head.

4.     T or F     Cast iron cylinder blocks are heavier and more expensive, but are more resistant to wear and less prone to heat distorion than cast aluminum alloy cylinder blocks.

5.     A ________ is a cylindrical engine component that slides back and forth in the cylinder bore by forces produced during the combustion process.

6.     T or F     Piston rings are commonly made from cast iron.

7.     T or F     Approximately 70% of the energy released in an internal combustion engine is converted into work.

8.     A ___________ is a cast aluminum alloy or cast iron engine component fastened to the end of the cylinder block farthest from the crankshaft.

9.     A _______ engine is an engine that has valves and related components located in the cylinder block.

10.     T or F     Displacement is the volume that a piston displaces in an engine when it travels from TDC to BDC during the same stroke.

11.     The ___________ is an engine component that converts the linear motion of the piston into rotary motion.

12.     T or F     A compression ring is the piston ring located in the ring groove farthest from the piston head.

13.     A ___________ is a component used to reduce friction and to maintain clearance between stationary and rotating components of an engine.

14.     The __________________ event is an engine operation event in which spent gasese are removed from the combustion chamber and released into the atmosphere.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Sherri

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
robmints

Re: Engine Operation
Reply #1   Mar 25, 2005 7:42 am
I can show my ignorance as many times as you can ask.

1.     The _stroke________ of an engine is the linear distancethat a piston travels in the cylinder bore from top dead center(TDC) to bottom dead center(BDC).

2.     A _head__gasket______ is the filler material placed between the cylinder block and cylinder head to seal the combustion chamber.

3.     An __ohv______ engine is an engine that has valves and related components located in the cylinder head.

4.      F     Cast iron cylinder blocks are heavier and more expensive, but are more resistant to wear and less prone to heat distorion than cast aluminum alloy cylinder blocks.

5.     A __piston______ is a cylindrical engine component that slides back and forth in the cylinder bore by forces produced during the combustion process.

6.     T      Piston rings are commonly made from cast iron.

7.      F     Approximately 70% of the energy released in an internal combustion engine is converted into work.

8.     A ___flywheel________ is a cast aluminum alloy or cast iron engine component fastened to the end of the cylinder block farthest from the crankshaft.

9.     A __flathead_____ engine is an engine that has valves and related components located in the cylinder block.

10.     T (I would word it BDC to  TDC)    Displacement is the volume that a piston displaces in an engine when it travels from TDC to BDC during the same stroke.

11.     The ___crankshaft________ is an engine component that converts the linear motion of the piston into rotary motion.

12.      F     A compression ring is the piston ring located in the ring groove farthest from the piston head.

13.     A ____bearing_______ is a component used to reduce friction and to maintain clearance between stationary and rotating components of an engine.

14.     The ___exhaust stroke_______________ event is an engine operation event in which spent gasese are removed from the combustion chamber and released into the atmosphere.

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #2   Mar 25, 2005 7:52 am
robmints wrote:

4.     TRUE     Cast iron cylinder blocks are heavier and more expensive, but are more resistant to wear and less prone to heat distorion than cast aluminum alloy cylinder blocks.

8.     A cylinder head is a cast aluminum alloy or cast iron engine component fastened to the end of the cylinder block farthest from the crankshaft.

9.     A flathead or more commonly called l-heads engine is an engine that has valves and related components located in the cylinder block.

Very good, are you sure you're not coming for a job?  We are going to need somebody else this year quite badly.  To find a mechanic that knows what everything is and has a relative good idea of what an engine looks like is hard to find around here.  The ones that have come to us from taking a course on small engines, well lets just say they baffle me.  They're lucky to know what the difference in a wrench and screwdriver are and they took a course.

Again very good and I'll post all the answers in a couple of days.

Sherri

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #3   Mar 25, 2005 9:29 am
Sherri---That question about cast iron blocks was a  tough one for me but I agree with your answer--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #4   Mar 25, 2005 2:35 pm
Okay, I'll give it a try without reading anyone else's answers:

1.     The ___stroke______ of an engine is the linear distancethat a piston travels in the cylinder bore from top dead center(TDC) to bottom dead center(BDC).

2.     A __gasket_______ is the filler material placed between the cylinder block and cylinder head to seal the combustion chamber.

3.     An __overhead valve______ engine is an engine that has valves and related components located in the cylinder head.

4.     True     Cast iron cylinder blocks are heavier and more expensive, but are more resistant to wear and less prone to heat distorion than cast aluminum alloy cylinder blocks.

5.     A ____piston____ is a cylindrical engine component that slides back and forth in the cylinder bore by forces produced during the combustion process.

6.     True     Piston rings are commonly made from cast iron.

7.    False     Approximately 70% of the energy released in an internal combustion engine is converted into work.

8.     A __valve cover(?)_________ is a cast aluminum alloy or cast iron engine component fastened to the end of the cylinder block farthest from the crankshaft.

9.     A _side valve______ engine is an engine that has valves and related components located in the cylinder block.

10.     True    Displacement is the volume that a piston displaces in an engine when it travels from TDC to BDC during the same stroke.

11.     The __crankshaft_________ is an engine component that converts the linear motion of the piston into rotary motion.

12.     False     A compression ring is the piston ring located in the ring groove farthest from the piston head. (the oil scraper is farthest from the piston head)

13.     A ___bearing________ is a component used to reduce friction and to maintain clearance between stationary and rotating components of an engine.

14.     The _____exhaust stroke_____________ event is an engine operation event in which spent gasese are removed from the combustion chamber and released into the atmosphere.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

MissSnowshoveler

Reply #5   Mar 25, 2005 2:51 pm
Very good Highwind,

#8 is a cylinder head and #9 is and l-head.

I really enjoy doing these little quizes.  They give me an idea of what everybody's understanding of engines is.  That way a more knowledgable answer can be put forth in other posts.

Sherri

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #6   Mar 25, 2005 7:52 pm
Thank you MissSnowshoveler for putting the quiz on the forum. It is fun testing knowledge of things I learned many years ago.  

As well, doing something I don't do very often, thinking, is also an experience I may try again.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42