Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New/Old OPE, RAIN & Murphy

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Majorxlr8n

New/Old OPE, RAIN & Murphy
Original Message   Mar 24, 2005 12:45 am
I picked up some older OPE today:

1. Homelite/Jacobsen Tractor, 12hp K301 Kohler, hydro trans, attached to it is a funky vacuum attachment with a brand new 5hp Briggs Stratton. Collection box is a "coffin-like" steel unit. I'll get the vacuum name off it Thursday. Tractor had to be jump started, but runs pretty good. Hydro is a bit noisy & needs pedal adjustments, starter drags & is noisy/squeaky, needs battery, has electric PTO, hourmeter, 42"(?) deck with two new quills & belts, 2 new rear tires/tubes, needs a seat (badly!) & headlights (burned out).

2. Roto-Hoe model 990-5 rototiller with a model 809 chipper/shredder attachment. Has an 8hp Kohler on it, 5 fwd speeds, 1 reverse. Runs fantastic, needs one belt & is VERY clean!

I loaded up the tractor solo - what a mistake. It was pouring here in NJ earlier Wed am. Moved it up the ramps under power - ok so far, but then fuel ran out & it stalled. So now I have it barely on the tailgate, I'm holding it from rolling backward, and now I have to supply the power to move this behemoth the rest of the way up the ramps! I start pushing HARD & have my hand operating the brake - but while pushing it forward, my hand slipped off the brake & down the ramps she went. It almost rolled over me until my thigh stopped it. Needless to say, I had to ice my leg all afternoon due to the swelling. Man, that Homelite is far from it (light that is!). If that weren't bad enough, while unloading it, I failed to keep the tractor's front wheels straight & she fell off the ramps. Now, I had backed up my truck so the rear wheels were at the EOD at the curb apron - to minimize the angle of the ramps to the tailgate. I had my street blocked totally. I couldn't lift the tractor, so I had no choice - I moved the truck forward & let the ramps slide off the tailgate. WHAM/BANG!! - down crashed the poor Homelite HARD onto the pavement (POOR HOMELITE??? MY FOOT!!! I had called this confounded thing every name under the sun earlier, and I was NOT kind!!!). I then had to jump it again to get it started because there was NO WAY I pushing this thing all the way to the shed in the mud! Well, it ran for 15 seconds or so & stalled - out of gas Marty, remember? I walk into the shed & my 5 gallon gas can is EMPTY. So I begin pushing it thru the yard on its journey to the shed. Did I say it was pouring? Thats an understatement. I get it to the shed's front - pushed it an easy 250-300 feet in the mud. I get it over the step & guess what - IT WON'T FIT IN THERE! Made up some MORE new names for the poor Homelite. Out she comes - threw a tarp over it. Called it a day...

Marty

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Re: New/Old OPE, RAIN & Murphy
Reply #12   Mar 25, 2005 6:51 am
Marty--Glad you are okay and didn,t  hurt yourself seriously.  It can happen so easily and quickly---Keep us posted and we will talk later----Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Majorxlr8n

Reply #13   Mar 26, 2005 1:32 am
Here's the tiller & shredder.........  Marty

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #14   Mar 26, 2005 12:45 pm
Marty, I am truly sorry for your loss, I can't imagine the loss of a child. Take comfort in the fact that he is in the kingdom of heaven where all is beautiful and great. I have great respect for you.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #15   Mar 27, 2005 12:27 am
Thank you for the VERY kind words Marshall!  

Marty

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #16   Mar 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Marty

I am so sorry. 

Paula

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #17   Mar 29, 2005 11:33 am
My wife and I have tried to have children (she has a daughter from before) and it wasn't meant to be. Keeping busy is probably as good a therapy as any. I do like your tiller/chipper unit! Nice machine.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Reply #18   Mar 29, 2005 4:19 pm
boy- that Roe-Hoe sure is clean! looks to be a work horse too. good find. just a note to bontaijoe( hope this is ok). Consider Adoption..after 13 years of trying for our own, we did- Best decision ever ( after total of 17 years..she conceived!!) works everytime. sorry to put this here but want B...to not give up hope. thanks for the pics- wish those were in my garage.   Geno
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #19   Mar 31, 2005 3:01 pm
I see you have the Roto-Hoe for sale on Ebay. I hope you make a decent profit to allow you to buy the next interesting piece of equipment.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #20   Mar 31, 2005 6:41 pm
Marty---I am so sorry to hear of your loss of a child.  Marshall made a statement  that is so true--that child is in the glories of heaven right now.   I know it must have tore your heart out.   As one stated, keeping busy is probably the best therapy you can have. .  Wish you the best and May The Almighty God, be with you and your wife, now and always--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Majorxlr8n

Reply #21   Apr 1, 2005 11:24 am
THANK YOU Marshall, Paula, Geno, Joe & Will!!!  All your thoughts & words are most appreciated. Although its been 2 years already, I still have bouts with my thoughts. Staying busy & focusing on positive activities really helps. I figure now, I do what makes me happy & enjoy whatever I can. My wife & I are actually closer because of this (not that we weren't close before!). I try not to dwell on it, but I have my bad moments at certain times of the year - day he was taken (Feb) & the calculated birthday (July).

My wife loves my OPE addiction - I have some nice extra money to buy her fine jewelry! So I get NO complaints from her...

Regards!
Marty

PS - Tiller went for $455, The "$10 Toro" I sold locally for $400. Guess my wife is due for some new "bling-bling"...

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42